Seeking Cardboard Perfection: Grade this card

Share:

AbreuPatch

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor | Commentary

There are many cards from the past and present but there’s only a small number of those that I’d deem to be cardboard perfection.

I’m not talking about centering, fuzzy corners or surface flaws — I’m talking about design, photography, composition, color. You know, the perfect blend of components then enhanced by an outrageous game-used swatch and a cleanly placed legible autograph.

Is this 2014 Panini National Treasures Jose Abreu patch auto perfect? I’m actually not sure in this case — but I think it’s close.  I’m curious about your thoughts below — both with our poll and in the comments.

Grade this card

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Baseball and Beckett Sports Card Monthly magazines. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an email to him at colds@beckett.com. Follow him on Twitter by clicking here.

Share:

Tens of millions of cards available for sale in the
Beckett Marketplace!

Get up-to-date pricing for your favorite sports cards with a
Beckett OPG Subscription

14 comments

1. Joseph twitter = statenmann 7 January, 2015 at 11:51

The card would have been better if they had a MLB license. The lack of a logo leaves me wanting.

2. Danielle 7 January, 2015 at 12:00

NOT perfect! Not a fan of the airbrushing to eliminate team references. I know, licensing… But otherwise, nice design bringing focus to main attractions with only real color coming from patch, auto, and photo.

3. Jason odell 7 January, 2015 at 12:07

I like the card. Has a nice patch. Which is what your wanting from a patch/relic card regardless if it’s a license product or not. By the picture it seems like the only issue is it looks like his signature came off the card.

4. Kale 7 January, 2015 at 12:37

C for color. And Abreu wasn’t even alive for 1983 All-Star game, why would I want that patch on his card just because he wore it?

5. Jason odell 7 January, 2015 at 13:16

That’s a pretty stupid reason not to like a patch auto card. What does him not being alive in 83 have to do with anything???? Its not like they stuck a patch from a uniform from 83 and placed it on the card.

6. David J 7 January, 2015 at 13:39

Nice looking card, but the fact that it’s missing team name and logos takes away and keeps it from being “perfect”.

7. J.R. 7 January, 2015 at 14:32

The card is, at best a B, but I give it a B-minus. Here’s why:

Pros:
    ON CARD autograph. This is huge for me. That means the player actually touched and signed the card. Much, MUCH more desirable than a sticker auto.

Card design. I really like the horizontal design. Nice patch placement. Large name, unobtrusive serial number, and a large RC symbol makes for a clean looking effort.

Serial numbered to 99. Perfect number to make it easy enough to obtain but rare enough to hold value.

Cons:
    No MLB logos. This is the major flaw on this card. Period.

Patch is an All-Star patch from 1983. Yes, he probably wore it, assuming the card says GAME-used memorabilia. But I would have much rather have had a sleeve patch from a black jersey or something like that. I realize that’s a little nit-picky, but the question was whether this is a PERFECT card, so this is just my opinion.

8. Paul 8 January, 2015 at 02:32

I’m sorry but the lack of MLB logo just quit the perfect grade option.

Again I really hope Panini won’t get the license. It’s not that I’m entirely happy the topps’s exclusice deal but I’d rather share the license with UD than with the italian plague.