Yu-Gi-Oh Market Watch: Rise of the Blue-Eyes White Dragon

Share:

Back in 2002, Yu-Gi-Oh took both the trading card game and animes world by storm. The franchise rivalled many popular titles at that time such as Pokemon and Magic: The Gathering.

Today Yu-Gi-Oh continues to establish itself as one of the major TCG’s throughout the world. And as of the fans and players of of old begin to mature, many cards from the original sets are starting to see price spikes similar to how Magic: The Gathering and Pokemon have seen in the last few years.

Leading that charge is none other than the Blue-Eyes White Dragon. Blue-Eyes was ingrained into the hearts of many young fans when it made its presence felt as one of the most powerful monsters in Yu-Gi-Oh’s first episode. As a card, it was highly coveted in the first booster series The Legend of Blue Eyes White Dragon and Starter Deck Kaiba.

Blue-Eyes White Dragon: First Edition vs. Starter Deck Kaiba

In recent months both versions of Blue-Eyes White have started to see drastic jumps in price, some doubling in value overnight. Specifically, Gem Mint first edition copies are seeing the biggest spikes.

2002 Yu-Gi-Oh Blue Eyes White Dragon

Currently the pack version of Blue-Eyes is reaching prices of over $5,000. Although not as high, the starter deck version has begun to hit over $1,500.

2002 Yu-Gi-Oh Blue Eyes White Dragon Starter Deck Kaiba

As the market continues to adapt, it will be interesting to see if the starter deck version begins to gain more ground on the pack version, as it sports the original anime artwork that fans have come to know and love. It also has a lower population of Gem Mints out there.

Whichever version you prefer now would be a good time to get in on either of these cards, as there seems to be no slowing down on the demand for original Yu-Gi-Oh cards.

Share:

Ian McDaries

Ian is the Gaming Market Analyst for Beckett Media and has been collecting Trading Card Games for 18 years, including Magic: The Gathering, Pokemon, and Yu-Gi-Oh. A graduate from the University of North Texas, Ian joined Beckett in 2016 and is currently focused on collecting play sets of the first 11 Yu-Gi-Oh releases.

Tens of millions of cards available for sale in the
Beckett Marketplace!

Get up-to-date pricing for your favorite sports cards with a
Beckett OPG Subscription

44 comments

1. Sean 14 November, 2019 at 23:54

I have a blue eyes white dragon 1st edition but it isnt like the once showed above, I will admit it is slightly worn but not that bad.

2. Anthony Nordquist 5 December, 2019 at 01:35

I think I have 1 too I might sell it I hope it’s the card worth 25,000. Hopefully you have the expensive 1 too.

3. Dustin 15 December, 2019 at 15:35

So, I’ve got several of the starter blue eyes and few of the pack blue eyes, where can I post these other than eBay to sell? There all 1996, also have the toon version, red eyes black dragon and many other rare cards

4. Jim 18 February, 2020 at 10:58

I have 5 different blue eyes white dragon cards from 1996.
    Looks like the ones above but didn’t have first edition all other numbers same?

5. gamerboymeow 1 April, 2020 at 00:26

i had exodia and all the rarest cards im a yu-gi-oh duelest but my brothers ripped them up

6. Henk 24 May, 2020 at 12:13

I have a Blue-Eyes White Dragon SKE-001 with shiny background. The image is similar to the top picture. Can you guys give an estimate of what it’s worth?

7. Deborah Cheong 14 June, 2020 at 15:21

I have a Blue -Eyes White Dragon BPT-003
    Can you give me an estimation on price. I have several others too.

8. Phillip Bryan Tharp 23 July, 2020 at 21:44

I have a limited edition Blue-Eyes White Dragon BPT-003an also have a regular Blue-Eyes White Dragon. Anyone know the value on either one of these.

9. Phillip Bryan Tharp 23 July, 2020 at 21:47

I also have a 1st edition Kaiser Sea Horse SKE-015. Also have a 1st edition Kuriboh MRD-071. Anyone know the value of them

10. Sheldon 4 October, 2020 at 17:57

I have a blue eyes perfect condition Shiney and looks almost exactly like the first one shown in the picture online

11. Adam 5 October, 2020 at 15:35

I have two unopened packs of 1st Edition Yu-Gi-Oh Trading Card Game “Legend of Blue Eyes White Dragon.” Each box contains TWENTY-FOUR packs of 9 cards each! These are from 1996. And the cover of the box says “1 Rare Card in Every Box,” indicating 24 rare cards in each box!
    Any sense of what these boxes could fetch realistically????

12. Adam Rosen 28 October, 2020 at 08:13

Zack, have you ever tried to contact an appraiser? Are yours unopened as well, or have you gone thru it..how many cards in total do you have?

13. Jason 4 November, 2020 at 16:13

I have a big version of the card that is 1996 but it doesn’t say first edition and it says that the card is not useable in a duel.

14. Mystarlite 31 December, 2020 at 20:48

1996 is just the copyright date when the cards first came out. The trading card game was launched by Konami in 1999 in Japan and March 2002 in North America.

15. treekid 6 January, 2021 at 09:46

i have the card in the first pic but it says first edition at the bottom i it still worth the same amount of money

16. Paul 16 January, 2021 at 12:47

I have the same version as the picture above its kinda worn but still in pretty good condition its the original one it even has a silver mark on it.

17. Shane 19 January, 2021 at 03:47

I have two first edition sdk 001 blue eyes white dragons. Looking on PCGplayer, I see their listing at $62. I’m wondering where you figured out the value of the card at upwards of $1500?

18. bryson rice 27 January, 2021 at 11:22

i collect all kinds of cards and i got the shiny looking blue eyes white dragon mint condition card from 1996 how much is it worth

19. JustinH 31 January, 2021 at 08:13

The valuable Blue Eyes is the 1st edition LOB-001. I sold 2 of them not long ago for $3,000 and $3,900 separately.

20. Christopher Smith 31 January, 2021 at 10:50

I have a 1st edition blue eyes white dragon (Fairly damaged as I have had it a while). It is holo with holo text and also says LOB-001. Any ideas on its value because I can not see this particular one with the lob-001 code anywhere, it is the same card shown in the second image above.

It has the yugioh holo square in the bottom corner.

Oh another thing, I donk know if this adds value but the text for the card name is misprinted and overlaps with the card type in the top right.

21. Christopher Smith 9 February, 2021 at 00:22

Just checked the card and it seems to be ultra rare as it has holo text + picture but I really need help with this one, it has all the official markings but I can not see any other LOB-001 cards with the same art as on the sdk I keep seeing.

All I keep seeing is items listed as LOB-e001 and the artwork is completely different, please help me with this one as I don’t have a clue.

22. joe k 18 February, 2021 at 09:36

i got a LOB
    first edition blue eyes white dragon ultra rare from the legend of blue eyes white dragon booster box 1st edition

i am so hyped can anyone tell me how much this blue eyes white dragon is and so you know this blue eyes is in perfect condition

23. joe 18 February, 2021 at 09:46

24. joe 18 February, 2021 at 09:49

I got a blue eyes white dragon ultra rare first edition from The Legend of Blue Eyes White Dragon Booster Box I’m so hyped can any of you tell me what what the prices and by the way this is in perfect condition this blue eyes white dragon is the one with the weird neck by the way this is a PSA 10 card and this is from 1996

25. Nona 4 August, 2021 at 09:36

I have the top one but mine is a bit different instead of just having dragon at the top of the description it says dragon/normal and it says it is limited edition it also says ct14-en002 instead of lob-e001