Prime Hockey shows off its patches

Share:

By Susan Lulgjuraj | Beckett Hockey Editor

Panini America had a unique way of showing off cards from one of its newest products. The company strategically placed patches together from 2011-12 Prime Hockey to make them look like one big patch.

But they aren’t. It’s anywhere from six to 16 cards put together.

For those out there who are completists, try to control the urge.

Several pictures showed off the patches, but it looked more like the end of a jigsaw puzzle. Whole emblems were taken apart and put into Prime Hockey such as the Boston Bruins or the Chicago Blackhawks.

But putting together these patch cards – if that’s the mission a collector chooses – will not be easy. Currently, Prime Hockey is pre-selling for $200 a hobby box with one pack of five cards in each box.

Collectors can start digging into Prime Hockey at the end of the month. The scheduled release date is Aug. 29.

Collectors might notice some cards have no player pictures on the front.

Panini spokesperson Tracy Hackler addressed the issue on the company blog.

“While we understand your concern, there are player images on the back,” Hackler wrote. “And on the rare occasions when we go with no photo, it’s only so we can maximize the size of the swatch on the front.”

Need a refresher on Prime Hockey, here’s Beckett’s first look.

Susan Lulgjuraj is the editor of Beckett Hockey Magazine. You can email Susan here with ideas, comments and questions. Follow her on Twitter here.

Share:

Tens of millions of cards available for sale in the
Beckett Marketplace!

Get up-to-date pricing for your favorite sports cards with a
Beckett OPG Subscription

13 comments

1. card opinionator 7 August, 2012 at 10:57

Is it a bit odd that a set of this high profile they couldn’t get all the cards going the same direction? This is what drives collectors crazy about card companies. They don’t always care about how things look from the collectors side.

2. TomB 7 August, 2012 at 11:23

I love this idea/concept, and these certainly look great. I ctually created a “card set” a while back that did this with baseball hat logos…hockey sweater patches lend themelves to this type of awesome dusplay much better.

However (isn’t that always the way?), why are the cards all oriented differently? At $200 a pack, you eould think that they could have had all of the patches installed in the cards with the same orientation. And why is that one lone card in the Blackhawk logo set completely different (lower right hand corner…look at the “Prime” tag label…completely different)?

Same with the Bruins logo, the Avs logos…ridiculous.

Also, are these off of game worn sweaters, by player, or are they just patches like the one on my Red Wings sweater? If they are just patches, then this is sort of a dud, too…I collect cards with my favorite players on it. If I wanted to hang a logo on the wall, why would I need to buy a pack for $200…I can buy a flipping actual Game Worn Sweater (or Jersey) for $200-$500, depending on the player.

So, I like the concept, and I certainly liek the idea, but the execution is suspect, and the article does not give enough details about what these are…

3. Chris 7 August, 2012 at 11:33

This is awesome! I don’t collect hockey, but this just shows how Panini really gets it! I wish Topps had a clue on how to present their products.

4. joe 7 August, 2012 at 11:58

I wish all of the companies would do this for all of there patch cards. This would help elemante fakes.

5. Josiah Cecil 7 August, 2012 at 13:02

Those are some amazing cards/patches but dang 200 bones a pack I better win the lottery!

6. card opinionator 7 August, 2012 at 13:30

Hard to find anyone in favor of cutting up a signature, but they continue to do it. Remember Jim Thorpe with Jim on one card and Thorpe on another? “Hey look, I have a card signed by Jim!”

7. joe 7 August, 2012 at 19:01

Jeez, these are some awesome patch cards and Panini has scanned copies(showing the serial number) to try a help thrawt fakes. But some people are still complaning. Reaslly, “the patches are oriented differently”. If they wouldn’t have done this then we the collectors would have been guessing what part of the uniform this patch is from. I don’t collect memorabillia unless the COA specificlly says that it was worn or used by that specific player. However, I will look into these because of the accountability on Panini’s part. Good job Panini.

8. Jon Waldman 7 August, 2012 at 22:10

Dave, I disagree fully. Having a true cut auto (baaaahahahaaa) to me is one of the coolest pieces you could have. Personally, I have an SPGU patch card of Dino Cicarelli that has part of a sig on it and it’s one of the coolest, and definitely most unique card in my collection.

9. David Brown 8 August, 2012 at 18:22

Companies who make expensive cards like these should give opportunities to collectors who can’t afford them some kind of opportunity to win them. I bet collectors would appreciate redemptions a lot more if you were entered into a draw every time entered a redemption. Could you imagine receiving a pack of these babies in the mail just out of the blue. An instant win card in a base set with some astronomical odd and increased odds to pull as the level of product increased would also work well. Hey Panini if your looking to hire I am available I’ve got a million of em, and I am guessing this comment will meet with favorable response.