Polarizing pair’s autos to hit block via Pristine

Share:

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor

A dual cut autograph featuring signatures of two of baseball’s more-polarizing figures will hit the auction block later this month.

A Pete Rose-Joe Jackson cut from the 2012 Historic Autographs Why the Hall Not? series will be sold through Phoenix, Ariz.-based Pristine Auction on Nov. 7.

Rose and Jackson both appear on MLB’s Ineligible List for their ties to gambling scandals. Rose, who admitted gambling on baseball while a manager, and Jackson, who was one of the eight players banned from baseball as part of the 1919 Black Sox scandal to throw the World Series, cannot appear on MLB-licensed card products.

While Rose is a prolific signer, Jackson’s autographs are limited because he was believed to be illiterate for much of his life, only learning to sign his name in his later years.

The auction opens on Oct. 25.

Share:

Tens of millions of cards available for sale in the
Beckett Marketplace!

Get up-to-date pricing for your favorite sports cards with a
Beckett OPG Subscription

14 comments

1. Richard 15 October, 2012 at 15:30

Oh god. It looks like they took the FULL names of each and cut them in half
    to make 2 cards. That’s just so freaking wrong and cheap of them.

2. Sanders 15 October, 2012 at 15:38

With all the Pete Rose autos out there ($30 at Target will get you a nice fresh one), why did Historic Autographs choose that first name only cut?

3. Chris P 15 October, 2012 at 21:50

The Pete (Rose) auto is ugly and I can get a pristine auto for less than 20.00. I like the concept but “why not” cut the slots to fit the autograph cuts like Famous Fabrics or Leaf at the bare minimum.

4. Corky 16 October, 2012 at 04:42

I am wondering how that Joe Jackson signature was authenticated by PSA, that is in no way similar to the few real Jackson signatures out there. He was illiterate and was not able to sign his name until late in his life and even than it looked like a child’s signature. That signature appears to be pretty smooth and in cursive, I would bet my right arm that this signature is actually from his wife, Kate Jackson, who signed for him regularly.

To add insult to injury, this is a perfect example of a horrible franken-cut signature card. I would be interested to see what this card sells for when the auction closes.

5. Hscshooter 16 October, 2012 at 09:51

To follow-up that up from Corky, he’s bang on. What makes PSA think that’s Joe Jackson’s actual auto? Yes he was illiterate but later on in life he would have been able to at least sign his name with enough practice. I could put a pen in my toes and sign it like that. God ugly card. What a waste. PSA just keeps on pumping out “authenticated” cards like that. I’ll go further and beg my right leg that card doesn’t get my action at auction because of its look and signatures. Good luck.

6. cardcollector777 19 October, 2012 at 15:40

Everyone is a bunch of haters. A Joe Jackson autographs is as rare as they come and this one is authenticated by PSA/DNA. It doesn’t get better than this. I will be interested to see how the auction goes. Could go through the roof!