Hobby Pulse Poll: Which recently released baseball product gets your cash?

Share:

PAP

Which recently released baseball brand gets your cash? (Pick your top two.)

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Share:

Tens of millions of cards available for sale in the
Beckett Marketplace!

Get up-to-date pricing for your favorite sports cards with a
Beckett OPG Subscription

13 comments

1. Matt 13 January, 2014 at 11:47

America’s Pastime is a completely gorgeous set. I’m a big fan of retro-themed products, and these scratch that itch completely. It’s like a slightly more original version of Heritage with a little National Treasures thrown in. The only thing holding them back is the license. I’m hoping someone with a brain in their head in the MLB head office is realizing people other than Topps are capable of producing nice cards, but I’m not holding my breath.

2. Jarod 13 January, 2014 at 13:59

I honestly won’t be spending a single dollar on any of those. Next thing I buy will be Seies 1 and some GQ.

3. Richard 13 January, 2014 at 15:41

No more new sets till I complete my old ones. I might pick up a few of the hard signed autos, but I can’t see cracking any more.

4. Matt 13 January, 2014 at 16:51

Saving up for Twinsfest! Already knocked Mauer and Bert Blyleven off the list, now I need to get Sano and Buxton!

5. Paul 13 January, 2014 at 16:57

Panini America’s Pastime – that’s some seriously ugly cards for $200+ per box. “A slightly more original version of Heritage”??? Heritage isn’t supposed to be original – that’s kind of the point. It’s modern players in the Topps design from 49 years ago, period. And it’s a formula that’s made it one of the year’s most collected brands every year for going on 14 years now. I’d call America’s Pastime a slightly less original brand than most other retro brands (and frankly, at this point is any retro brand really “original”? I don’t think I’ve seen anything I’d call “original” since Topps D-III in the 1990s, which yes, I know, totally bombed – but they were still awesome cards.).

I spent a few bucks to get a Red Sox team set from Bowman Draft Picks & Prospects, to complement the regular Bowman team set, but that’s as far as my interest in any of these cards goes.

6. robert belenzon 13 January, 2014 at 21:41

Hi
    I like the Prizm sets…though…3 hobby boxes, 2 racks and a blaster of 2013…not a single Puig!
    I always buy at least a box of Elite!
    Bob

7. Jason K 14 January, 2014 at 14:34

I’m saving for 2014 Topps Series 1 (which should be an option, considering how many people have said something similar).

I haven’t seen ANYTHING about this America’s Pastime set. Have you done a box busters, or even a sell sheet on it that I missed? I’d be interested in finding out more.

8. Matt 15 January, 2014 at 12:13

@Paul – When I say “Slightly more original” I mean that it’s clearly inspired by retro designs but it’s not just an exact regurgitation of an old design. As you say, Heritage isn’t original, it’s a reuse of classic designs, so by definition, America’s Pastime IS more original, albeit slightly.

And don’t think for a minute that Heritage is a “design from 49 years ago, period.” Please. Parallels, chrome versions, relics, inserts, autos, color-swaps and all the “intentional errors” are all modern.

Clearly you don’t like retro products, and that’s ok, to each their own, but design is always inspired by other things. So, yes, even retro themed products can be original designs. The exact design, colors, line-weights, borders, etc., of last year’s Allen & Ginter didn’t exist anywhere before. They were created by an artist and designer in 2013, but they were inspired by cards from over 100 years ago. Original AND retro. Even your Topps DIII were inspired by Kelloggs and Sportsflix.

9. Jason K 15 January, 2014 at 16:04

Ahh, OK. I remember America’s Pastime now. I hadn’t seen anything with the design shown here (which is why I didn’t remember it). Just another set that kinda blends in with everything else Panini has been doing (Hometown Heroes, for example).

I understand why Series 1 wasn’t included. I meant maybe an option of “saving for future releases”.

Thanks for the link to refresh my memory!