First look: Sportskings Series E

Share:

By Susan Lulgjuraj | Contributing Editor

Sports Kings LLP is gearing up for another release this spring with Sportskings Series E, a high-end product featuring athletes across a broad range of sports.

Each box – with a pre-release price around $100 – contains five cards: three base (including random minis), one base with a premium back and an insert, which is a memorabilia or autograph.

The set is scheduled to be released on May 3 and a checklist is not scheduled to arrive until early April.

But it seems the real winners right now are in the case hits. Each 16-box inner case will include either a cut signature, a patch card or a 1/1 art card painted by Jared Kelley.

“Jared will be painting his first cards for Sportkings Series E,” Sports Kings owner Dr. Brian Price said. “We will be adding a couple of new wrinkles in the painting of these cards to make them even better than the ones Jared has done before. I am excited to have Jared join our family as we are all dedicated to make trading cards that collectors want to collect.”

Some of the artist cards include tennis great Ivan Lendl, boxing legend Angelo Dundee and basketball star Magic Johnson.

Take a look at some of the case hits you can get in Sportskings Series E. We’ll post more information as it becomes available.

Susan Lulgjuraj is a contributing editor for Beckett Media. You can email Susan here. Follow her on Twitter here.

Share:

Tens of millions of cards available for sale in the
Beckett Marketplace!

Get up-to-date pricing for your favorite sports cards with a
Beckett OPG Subscription

11 comments

1. RJ 19 March, 2012 at 16:38

I will disagree with the other posters on this product. Granted, the past couple releases have left something to be desired, but… Some of these cards are really nice looking. Sportkings and ITG, always put out some nice products. That Mathewson auto is pristine, and those patches are nice. To be fair, I like the cards of “other” sports.

Here’s hoping this will be a fun product to open.

2. Jared Kelley 19 March, 2012 at 18:43

Hey folks – I’ve never been a collector, but I have really gotten to enjoy the intensity that serious hobbyists bring to the table when it comes to expectations. I am new to Sportkings and didn’t experience the previous Series A-D releases, but as an artist/illustrator, I can honestly tell you that the Series E release will be insanely awesome. Sure the patches and signatures are great hits, but when Dr. Price told me what his plans were with the sketch card inclusions, I quickly wanted in. I know the Goodwin Masterpiece cards were well received and continue to do well on Ebay, but I am here to assure you that the Series E sketch cards will blow away the Goodwin artwork. It’s been a huge challenge to knock out so many high caliber sketch cards but trust me when I say, that it’s gonna be huge!!!! I can’t wait to see what some of you get as far as case hits. You won’t be disappointed, I promise. – JK

3. alternate 20 March, 2012 at 04:40

the artist claiming his cards will be the best, it’s like a chef forcing his lasagna down your throat

4. Seth M. Murphy 20 March, 2012 at 07:54

@Jared Kelley – Thanks for doing the cards, I have grown fond of the SportKings releases and look forward to your inclusion. Thanks for adding your input to this thread and the product

5. Jared Kelley 20 March, 2012 at 12:44

Just to be clear, I’m not saying my “lasagna” is better than that of other artists, just that I’ve cooked a much tastier batch for the Sportkings Series E than I made for the Goodwin Masterpieces. I have a long way to go to ever be compared to veteran sketch card artists in the biz. Series E reflects my personal best to date, that’s all.

6. RJ 20 March, 2012 at 16:31

Thanks to Jared for making these sketches available. It says a lot about the product if the artist is confident about his work. I’m not quite sure about everyone else, but of all of the cards, I really want the Ivan Lendl card.

7. Charlie DiPietro 22 March, 2012 at 07:53

I got to see these cards first hand at the Summit this week. This will be the first time I will carry Sportskings in my store. I appreciate good art work. My daughter is a professional artist. The artwork in this set is awesome!

8. Jared Kelley 23 March, 2012 at 16:05

Thanks for the great news, Charlie! I have been excited to hear about the Summit. Your website is a great source of info. I hope you don’t mind but I’ve listed it on my website under the LINKS menu bar. I’d love to see your daughters art someday. Best of luck.

RJ – I’m eager to open a case myself. Hopefully I’ll get one of my cards back :) The Bo Jackson is the closest to my heart, as a born-n-bred Auburn Tiger fan! Can’t wait to see what you get your hands on when the cases come around!