First look: 2011 Topps American Pie

Share:

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor

The Pie is back.

After nearly a decade since its last go, Topps has revived its American Pie line of cards as it unveiled the first glimpses at the non-sports set that will celebrate pop culture and personalities when it arrives on Dec. 14.

While the set was largely a baseball release with history and pop culture inside it in the past, this time American Pie is largely everything but sports — a 200-card base set of historic moments, places and people who helped defined the times. Each 24-pack hobby box will include three autograph or Relic cards as well as a buyback past Topps card.

There will be a parallel card or an insert in every pack with the Hollywood Walk of Fame, Fads and Fashions and Hirsute History (yep, notable hairstyles) among the insert sets.

Some of the notable signers for the product will include Mickey Rooney, Jimmie Walker, Bob Costas, Charlie Sheen, Chris Hansen, Kato Kaelin, Tom Arnold, Tia Carrere, Henry Winkler, Sean Astin, Carmen Electra, Jack Hanna, Naomi Judd, Susan Lucci, Chynna Phillips, Bret Michaels, Jeffrey Ross, Wilmer Valderama, Paul Teutul Sr., Gilbert Gottfried, Dean Cain, Billy Baldwin, Joey Fatone and more.

There will be 40 celebrity autographs to be found with 200 copies of each card, while Sheen will be on a limited 60th anniversary card as seen above. There also will be buyback autographs, cut signatures, dual cuts and quad cuts. Autographed Relics also will be found, each limited to 50 copies, while cut signature Relics will be 1/1s — as are all cut autographs in the product.

The Relic lineup will include swatches of clothing from the likes of Jimi Hendrix, Walk of Fame patch cards, stamp Relics, coin Relics  and more.

Hollywood sign letter patches will be found as single letters while there will be fold-out booklets as well for all 25 celebrities featured. The Walk of Fame set will feature 25 stars who were honored with each of those cards limited to 50 copies.

The American Pie Relics will include 50 subjects, while an American Pie Stamp Collection Relic set will showcase a person along with a stamp from the year they were born.  The same approach will be used for 75 people with coin Relics but each one will be found with penny, nickel, dime, quarter and 50-cent piece versions. All of those cards will be limited to just 76 copies.

Share:

Tens of millions of cards available for sale in the
Beckett Marketplace!

Get up-to-date pricing for your favorite sports cards with a
Beckett OPG Subscription

27 comments

1. BigGuy219 12 August, 2011 at 13:04

Honestly. Other than Charlie Sheen is there one person on that list who is a celebrity or even relevant?

It’s like my grandmother made the checklist, and she died in 2005.

2. JC 12 August, 2011 at 14:25

I agree with bigguy. Who is this Jimi Hendrix character? No one has ever heard of him! Certainly never been relevant!

Seriously though, I would never buy this pile of crap product, but I will buy that Hendrix card if I see on the ‘Bay.

3. Richard 12 August, 2011 at 15:10

I will likely buy selected items from this set, but I can’t see cracking it.
    Any set where Bill Baldwin is considered a notable signature… Oy.

The only cards likely to pay for a box would be the Sheen or one of the cuts.
    If the highlight is the Randal + Klugman, it won’t even be that.

I like a lot of the “stars” here but their auto cards are readily available from Leaf Pop century
    and the like.

The sets are nice, but will be available for a fraction of the cost of the box.
    A 2001 set recently sold for $7 plus shipping.

The non-sports buy backs were popular, but I don’t

4. steve archer 12 August, 2011 at 15:25

seriously……..who is this “Jimi Hendrix” cat ??

if we as consumers dont like something (like how I shouldve researcher the 2011 Topps Lineage BB product….before wasting a hundred bucks on it !!), then we should just NOT buy it !!

5. Kreepy 12 August, 2011 at 22:23

Sick… American Pie has always been one of my favorite sets..cant wait for it…looks like im stocking up.

Bigguy really has no clue what he is talking bout. Bob Costas, Hendrix, Hanna, Elecktra and etc were never relavant to anything… lol.. That initial list is amazing…I can’t wait.

6. jeremy hanson 13 August, 2011 at 03:07

Hendrix!!! I will not buy any product that is not 100% sport related. I will be placing a nice bid on a Hendrix card on the secondary market.

7. Walter Peoples 13 August, 2011 at 06:15

Wow I can’t beleive you all never heard of Jimi Hendrix. He is one of the greatest guitatrist of all-time. He died very young but considered to be one of the greatest. You all should check him out. As far as for the product. I dont care for it and dont buy to many boxes any more, but did buy both of the 2011 Leaf Draft Products.

8. KZED 13 August, 2011 at 08:01

Wow. I just read about Panini’s Americana set and thought THAT was a steaming pile of worthless. Thanks for correcting me..WHO THOUGHT OF THIS????? KATO KAELIN??? AN INTERNET CARD?? Those cards shouldn’t spell H-O-L-L-Y-W-O-O-D, it should read P-A-T-H-E-T-I-C…..

9. Edward 13 August, 2011 at 11:30

I like to see a set of celebrities autographs that have done great things for society, not some “has been” actor, who is a getting his last 15 mins of fame. I would collect that.

10. chrisolds 14 August, 2011 at 10:43

Thinking there might have been a *touch* of sarcasm about Hendrix.

At least I hope that’s the case…

11. Geoff 14 August, 2011 at 17:22

What is wrong with everyone? this set looks pretty sweet! Lots of big name signers on the preview list. My only concern would be how tough are they to pull.

There are plenty of cool hits in this product, Mickey Rooney, Charlie Sheen and the like…

You can’t EVER base a product on resale value…that’s NOT the point. Collecting and enjoying the cards is what COLLECTING is all about.

just my 2 cents, don’t knock it till ya try it!

Geoff

12. dodger fan 15 August, 2011 at 14:08

i would love the meet the person that would enjoy pulling a sean austin manufactured patch card so i could beat the crap out of them. stick to baseball

and stop all the dumb insterts..its ruining the business

13. spineguy 17 August, 2011 at 14:30

I’m freaking appalled at this pile of steaming crap Topps is trying to unload on us. Some people will buy anything I guess. I’ll stick to vintage sports cards without all the “added on” junk that supposedly makes them worth more. There is just something about a very good graded Mickey Mantle card that brings me back to better days!

From mod: It’s NOT a sports set …

14. Edward 21 August, 2011 at 09:08

Here are some autos that I would pay to get, M Damon, A Jolie, N Kidman, B Pitt, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley (Transformers 3 actress and Victoria’s Secret model), D “The Rock” Johnson, A Bourdain. Those are just a few. Their signing fee may be up there, probably the reason why Topps can’t get them, so no wonder they opted for C Sheen. As much as the endless joke possibilities on him, I just think broadening the autos with some actors/actresses/celebrities will add more appeal to collectors, not to a say Costas isn’t appealing…well back in the 90s when he heavily commented on the NBC basketball games lol!

15. chad morris 16 December, 2011 at 23:48

I just pulled a 1/1 american pie cut signature of Richard Nixon. It has his autograph and a piece of the white house floor. Only one made. Any ideas how much its worth?

16. michael 13 January, 2012 at 13:58

I HAVE BOUGHT 20 RETAIL BOXES AND I CAN’T FIND 5 CARDS TO FINISH SET 11,17,85,130,135. DO THESE CARDS EVEN EXIST?