Exclusive Preview Gallery: 2011 Prime Cuts

Share:

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor

Panini America‘s first high-end baseball card line under its MLBPA license has been delayed a bit — now scheduled for an April 11 release — but the newest batch of preview images for 2011 Prime Cuts released on Friday (an exclusive gallery right here on Beckett.com as well as more images here) show that it just might be worth the wait.

And these aren’t even the big cards.

Here’s a selection of prime patch and autographed cards from the product, which will arrive with a high-end pricetag — about $250 per five-card pack — with each card either an autograph or memorabilia card. Let us know what you think with our poll after the jump and be sure to leave a comment.

Your Take: 2011 Prime Cuts

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Share:

Tens of millions of cards available for sale in the
Beckett Marketplace!

Get up-to-date pricing for your favorite sports cards with a
Beckett OPG Subscription

28 comments

1. chrisolds 30 March, 2012 at 16:47

There are cut autographs, too. I think Prime Cuts has nearly always had stickers in past releases. (Not 110 percent sure because I only bought a single box … once.)

2. RJ51 30 March, 2012 at 17:30

They are half ugly looking cards. I like the GU portion but the sticker auto kills it. It’s not a product I’ll buy except for that RJ on the secondary market.

3. Johnny Hodge 30 March, 2012 at 18:27

Looks to be Panini’s best baseball product by far yet! I love the look of these and I do believe that there are some real high quality hits in this one. I think I will definitely give this one a try.

4. Scott 30 March, 2012 at 19:26

I think the cards look great however I have never been a fan of unlicensed cards i.e no team logos.

5. Merovius 30 March, 2012 at 22:40

Gone are the days of gaudy sticker autos. Thought you guys were hip to it over at Paninis PlayHouse. Oh well, better luck next time.

6. joe 30 March, 2012 at 23:57

Who cares about sticker autographs. As long as the autographs are authentic, that’s all that matters to me. This product looks nice. My only hesitation is at $250/pack if I get a single dime sized jersey I am going to scream. (I better drink plenty of water that day). I hope I get a Gwynn or Ripken autograph when this product comes out.

7. afff 31 March, 2012 at 00:56

I don’t mind them. As for the sticker autos i don’t care for them but people will have to get use to them because thats the way the companies are going, cheaper

8. Fabio 31 March, 2012 at 02:11

I agree with the stickers not being so cool, but man, have you ever seen something so sick as the Ripken’s 4 patches or the Jackson’s die cut?
    I totally love this stuff and am definitely planning on getting a box.

9. Tom Waldron 31 March, 2012 at 07:38

The player selection is ok but to be honest I don’t like the die cut Team/player name that covers up such sweet patches as I’ve said before let it breathe I want to touch those patches.
    That makes the product so much better. As a colector which would you want die-cut or nice big patches. I need to see a little more ,overall it’s nice Pete Rose is in this set will Joe Jackson ?
    One thing about 08 it did offer something new the Blacksox players.The best card shown is the Ripken card at least you can see more but the previous ones not so much.Don’t the companies know a beautiful patch needs to be seen and touched.
    just saying….

10. charles faires 31 March, 2012 at 07:59

i am not sure wish they could have at least been able to use the team colors on photos, i think this would be a great product if it had a full liecences, but it will sell well, and i hate sticker auto’s!, patches are nice, overall i would say that the cards are boring, lack of team color, and no team logo’s the patches look good, the signing lineup looks good

11. Anthony D'Amalio 31 March, 2012 at 08:48

Seems like a waste to have such intricate patches and place them under cut-outs of the players’ name / team name. For $250 ($50 a card!!) I want to see the whole, unobstructed patch, and I agree with you, Bill, less sticker autos. The cards ARE nice, but, in my opinion, I’d rather get two BOXES of Topps Marquee for the price of one pack of these bad boys. I’ll look for some cheap ones on the secondary market. Scoop up a ten dollar card instead of paying fifty for the gamble.

12. joe 31 March, 2012 at 18:26

All of the card companies have been using sticker autographs for years. I have cards as old as 2004 that have sticker autographs, so what’s the big deal. Some of you collectors make it seems as if the sticker autographs are new.

13. Steve 31 March, 2012 at 19:08

So apparently they stocked up on Killebrew sticker autos almost a year ago? Just seems odd to me to have anything other than a cut signature of a guy that passed away almost a year ago……

14. Ryan 31 March, 2012 at 21:55

I hate how first of they are sticker auto’s. I like the on cards alot more because it makes it feel more original. This is another example of ruining the hobby with greed. $50 bucks a card really, REALLY. Another thing i hate is the patches that have like frank written over them, you cant even feel the patch or jersey in the card. And as Chris Justice would say “That’ll Doozer”.

15. Nick Tegeler 1 April, 2012 at 06:28

I agree with some of the others here and think they would be better if they had a license to put logos on the cards, and I am also not a huge fan of sticker auto’s. Instead of Panini putting all this focus on baseball, why don’t they make some affordable basketball cards with rookie cards in it?

16. Roger Chen 1 April, 2012 at 23:16

I hate some of these hobby cards because they would be difficult to search at my local store. I will stick to Walmarts and Targets to get autographs from same players from packs that cost $2.99.

17. Bobby 2 April, 2012 at 11:37

Stop with the sticker auto’s already! No logos. No good. I supports my teams more than players.