Comment Card: 2011 Topps Update Mike Trout

Share:

We’re working on an article about the 2011 Topps Update Mike Trout Rookie Card for an upcoming issue of Beckett Baseball Card Monthly and we’re looking for some collector input.

2011 Topps Update Mike Trout RC

If you’d like to help us out and potentially have your comments included in the article, please answer a couple of questions in the comments.

Do you consider this to be the definitive Mike Trout Rookie Card? If so, why? If not, what is?

Do you see more growth ahead for this card?

Any other thoughts you have on the card?

Please make sure that you include your name (first and last) as well as a valid email in case we need a little clarification (emails aren’t public).

The cutoff for magazine consideration is Friday, February 9 at noon EST (9AM PST).

Share:

Ryan Cracknell

A collector for much of his life, Ryan focuses primarily on building sets, Montreal Expos and interesting cards. He's also got one of the most comprehensive collections of John Jaha cards in existence (not that there are a lot of them). Got a question, story idea or want to get in touch? You can reach him by email and through Twitter @tradercracks.

Tens of millions of cards available for sale in the
Beckett Marketplace!

Get up-to-date pricing for your favorite sports cards with a
Beckett OPG Subscription

14 comments

1. Joseph 7 February, 2018 at 21:00

For me it is the definitive Trout rookie. I can’t imagine it having much more growth because the price seems so high to me now, but then again I said that when I purchased some at $50 a piece several years ago.

2. Eddie Knipper 8 February, 2018 at 07:38

Barring a World Series run, I believe the value has topped out, but this is really the card that has spurred the recent interest in Topps Update rookie cards. I think the success of the Trout card has led to speculation about the future of other stars’ Topps Update RC’s, and we’re seeing increased prices for a number of them.

3. Rossi Caserta 8 February, 2018 at 08:48

I do consider this the definitive Mike Trout Rookie Card. Topps has always done a wonderful job with their Update and Traded Series of cards, that showcase late season
    call-ups and big trades. This card is no different! I think Mike Trout cards will always have growth, as he continues to blaze a path towards Cooperstown. I love the throwback California Angels jerseys, it reminds me of Mike’s fellow Rookie of the Year, Tim Salmon.

4. Anthony M LoBurgio 8 February, 2018 at 09:00

This is definately the definative Mike Trout RC. It is the most sought after card including it’s variations.
    I see more growth with this card as he puts together his long term career for the Hall of Fame.
    The 2011 Topps Update is loaded with RC’s that are big names in the game. This should also bring up not only Trout’s RC, but others as well.

5. Adam Reynolds 8 February, 2018 at 09:46

This depends on your thought process regarding Rookies. If you believe the 2009 Bowman Chrome Auto is his true Rookie / First true MLB card; than that is the Holy Grail of Mike Trout Rookies.

If your looking for the “RC” Logo, than, yes this is the definitive Trout RC to have. These update RC’s give us collectors the opportunity to own a true RC without taking out a 2nd a mortgage. Grading has also impacted these cards with perfect tens doubling and sometimes tripling the value. It did however, take a number of years for this card to really catch on and for collectors to realize 2011 update dried up when it comes to packs so the only way to get this is through trade or to pay for a nice one. This card started a quasi revolution in the industr. Collectors are now going after these and smililar RC of arrenado, altuve, Bryant, etc. Give these other update or topps base rookies a few more years and they will be in the same company as the 11 update trout. Update for a long time was also the “forgotten” set. coming out during a time fo the year when the market is typically flooded with releases so the zeal for the set is sometimes lost meaning there may be less printed. the reason this card will only climb isbecuase its his only one in the set like this. There is not RC debut, allstar, HR derby, team card in the set featuring trout. So many of the new update sets pack too many of the RC’s subsets. look at last 2017’s update. I mean how many bellinger and Judges are in that set? its nuts! For that reason this trout card is limited. Topps is downing out the “true” RC only causing this to maintain its current levels. As the Mike Trout Legend grows so will this card.

6. Aaron Jarvis 8 February, 2018 at 10:44

It’s not his most expensive card being it’s not autographed or numbered and it doesn’t have a jersey included in it although it should be his most definitive card the Topps traded in the past has always been the number one card for most rookie cards but recently in the last 10 years or so things have changed when I grew up in the 80s and 90s you had four or five companies that made cards now there’s hundreds of variations and during that time growing up the Topps traded card was always the most valuable until Upper Deck came along. I just recently got back into card collecting and the change in the way things have been done is incredible for instance just take a look at Beckett magazine for years 84 through early 2000 s there’s six to eight pages to cover all those years once you get into mid 2000 or so six or eight pages per year it’s a really big difference really big change makes it harder to collect hard to find out what you should be buying you shouldn’t be buying but it gives you a lot more variation I’m finding out the hard way that it is a lot more difficult to collect in today’s age it’s not a matter of just buying a pack and hoping that you pull a rookie card you got to spend big bucks to get the good ones and then they’re not even worth what they’re supposed to be worth eBay has killed the market people are hard up for money so these rookie cards that a Beckett might state is worth $500 but they’re going for a hundred fifty bucks online on eBay it’s just really hard and devastating actually what eBay has done to the market and it’s not just baseball football cards it’s every collectible thing anyhow good luck too collectors and keep on collecting

7. JonathanI 8 February, 2018 at 11:34

Whichever it is, I am glad to see he has only eight listed. Bryce Harper’s RCs came out one year later, and he has 19. That is ridiculous. Supply-and-demand might dictate Harper’s could be worth less since there are so many more, but are they? Printing more cards of popular players should not make them more valuable, should it?

8. Robert 8 February, 2018 at 13:25

No way!! Bowman has moved it’s way into 1st place on being the true Rookie Card of all recent players.. Topps Update RC’s are a thing of the past like the 80’s .. And we’ll all know how that turned out for us collectors…

9. Jason Thomas 8 February, 2018 at 19:18

It is already a staple to modern collections. It will eventually be a baseball card classic, a pillar of the industry’s continuation. Mantle, Nolan Ryan, Jeter, Trout. It will go down with forever value in the rookie card market of baseball.

Another interesting thought: Topps Update/Traded had always been something you sat on and hoped something made it big. Trout seems to have redirected the market from always looking back at the product, to looking forward to the product. I believe people look for the product, purchase more, and has enabled Topps to produce and profit from pack-making the product vs the box set environment. The success of this card allowed Topps to diversify. You’ve seen them use Update, break out the Update Chrome as a “Special”, and also leverage the Update success into its already popular Topps Heritage with its High Number Series.

10. Frank Jay Gruber 9 February, 2018 at 11:33

We collect because the cards tell stories. This is the start of Mike’s epic story for the largest number of people. It’s not a limited edition foil encrusted signed unapproachable vision for most people. It was in lots of packs. It was attainable. It was the start of his story and we could be there from the beginning. This is his Rookie Card.

11. John Saraceno 10 February, 2018 at 11:31

The 2011 topps update Trout reminds us that rookie cards still matter. It’s not serial numbered, not autographed and doesnt have any game used equipment embedded in it. The card is simply a base rookie card of the best player in baseball that everyone that collect modern cards wants in their collection.

12. Bud East 5 June, 2018 at 11:20

The 2011 Topps Updated. US175 Trout Rookie Card is definitely the card to have in your collection, and if you own one that has been graded GEM MT 10 you will be more fortunate. I have collected a few sport cards throughout my years, and there are many expensive cards for sale on the different players. However, card companies sign specific players to a contract and that company holds the rights to their number one rookie card. This is one of the reasons this specific Trout baseball card will hold it’s value and will keep climbing in price.

13. Richard Hitchcock 19 June, 2018 at 12:44

Definitive card, absolutely. Just a year ago I purchased a graded card by BGS, grade a near perfect black label 10 for $715.00 , a lot of money I felt at the time but I sure wanted that card. The other day that card sold for just under $1700.00 at Ebay auction. I have seen others selling for $1300.00, $1400.00 and at 9.5 MS grades for almost as much. Ungraded cards are selling for $300 to $400.00 plus. I do not think this card has reached its peak value yet and I expect to see it pass $2,000.00 soon.

14. Richard Hitchcock 17 July, 2018 at 13:10

I am a Mike Trout fan though I live in the Baltimore , MD Area. He undoubtedly is the best player in baseball today. The Topps 2011 Update Mike Trout Rookie card is surely to be defined as his premier rookie card and in years to come will increase in value. There are to date only 174 Pristine 10s and only 16 Black Label 10s out of 4,197 graded cards to date, ( July 17, 2018). I own one black label I paid $5750.00, after making my offer for the price of $7,000 to come down. I think that was a great price considering some are asking crazy prices of the few that exist, one as high as $19,000. I own a Pristine 10s as well. I have had 6 cards update Trout RCs graded by Beckett recently , 4 came back a 9.5 , 2 an 8.5 . The best grades are to be held and not sold on Ebay as an investment towards the future. Yes, I know Baseball cards can peak in value, then the bottom falls out of the market but I see this card as being the modern day Ruth or Mantle card of the future in value.