Card Gallery: 2014 Topps Tribute packs some non-traditional Relics — and plenty of autos

Share:

tribute55

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor | Commentary

This year’s edition of Topps Tribute arrives on Wednesday with some new design touches on the autographs, some new types of jumbo memorabilia cards and a more futuristic look for the traditionally holoboard-centric brand.

Among the higher-end inclusions? Game-used baseball cards with swatches of varying types, jumbo batting gloves, bat knobs, dual autographs and more. (Click here to view the final checklist as released by Topps.)

Now, while those cards won’t be among the finds in the typical six-pack box of this one — despite its high-end price of about $300 a box — it’s encouraging to see some new tweaks and new testing done in a brand that’s been largely unchanged in the few years since its return. The run of sets have largely carried a feel similar to its 2001 arrival, but it’s a formula that has proven to be popular with plenty of collectors.

See more where this David Ortiz card came from with a gallery of nearly 100 images — after the jump.

Your Take: 2014 Topps Tribute

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

What do you think of the look? Tell us in the comments below.

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Baseball and Beckett Sports Card Monthly magazines. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an email to him at colds@beckett.com. Follow him on Twitter by clicking here.

Share:

Tens of millions of cards available for sale in the
Beckett Marketplace!

Get up-to-date pricing for your favorite sports cards with a
Beckett OPG Subscription

8 comments

1. Richard 18 February, 2014 at 20:36

Nice, but not for the price.
    And a sticker auto for the 1/1 Maddux, but hard signed for the #’d to 25.
    Why?
    And frankly, unless Topps and others specifically state that the memorabilia was used by the
    player in a MLB game, and preferably name the game, I don’t really care for it.
    Too often the COA says they guarantee the material, but they don’t say what that guarantee means.

2. joe 19 February, 2014 at 05:06

Richard, I agree with you on the game used point. I’ve been saying that for a few years. That’s why I don’t collect game used stuff anymore.
    However, these are some nice cards. The cards with the black and white old schol players in the background is pretty sick. Sticker autos don’t really bother me. As long as they guarantee that the play signed it. sticker autos and hard signed autos are usually done by mail. It is just cheapre that way. So that is something that I can deal with.

3. CJ 19 February, 2014 at 07:31

For $300 a box, there should be at least one guaranteed premium hit- low numbered patch, star auto, etc. However, a plain, unsigned ball chunk has to be one of the least exciting hits they could produce (aside from batter’s box dirt, 90s Stadium Club ). A ball might only be used once in play so the odds the pictured player even touched it are relatively low.

4. Jason K 19 February, 2014 at 14:19

I like that they are doing something other than jerseys and bats. I know everybody gets sick of people complaining about sticker autos, but for $300 per box, I expect on card autos. Either way, it’s more than I can afford (outside of maybe purchasing singles), so I’m probably not the best person to ask.

5. Isaac 19 February, 2014 at 15:44

I love the different relics (actual MLB Baseball, batting gloves). However the eye blacks can get extremely disgusting. Also that is one of the first times I have seen a player put one of their accomplishments on their eye black (Trout).

6. Zeprock 20 February, 2014 at 12:35

I like the looks of them. I like the design and the way they incorporated the “game-used” pieces into the cards. Like the others mentioned though, if it isn’t specific on where the game-used pieces originated then it could be anything. (A ball boy’s pants?) I’ve always liked the look of Topps Tribute. But I won’t be buying it new. I’ll hope to trade for some singles and buy some singles on the secondary market.