Calling all sports artists … Beckett Media wants to hear from you!

Share:

By Chris Olds | Beckett Sports Card Monthly Editor

From vintage sets to today’s sketch cards and countless collectable lithograph options, art is everywhere in the collectibles world.

In a future issue of Beckett Sports Card Monthly, we’re going to explore memorable artwork, sets (1953 Topps, anyone?) and artists who we think define the times — both the past and present.

And here’s where we want your help.

If you’re a sports artist, we want to hear from you — whether you paint, do sketch cards, comics, lithos, sculpt or do other types of work. (If you don’t do sports, but are in the non-sports card field, drop us a line, too.) Or, if you’re not an artist — but you collect certain artists’ works — tell us about them.

We hope to profile a few of you in the issue — and we have some other surprises in store as well.

In a comment below, tell us your (or their):

— Name, link to website or  portfolio along with a Twitter handle and/or email.

— and some of your past credits.

— and some of your specialties (media, sports, topics, etc.).

— and some of your influences.

We’ll use this as a launching pad for some of the issue’s inclusions — and a teaser of sorts for some of the surprises we hope to have in store for the issue.

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Sports Card Monthly magazine. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an email to him at colds@beckett.com. Follow him on Twitter by clicking here.

Share:

Tens of millions of cards available for sale in the
Beckett Marketplace!

Get up-to-date pricing for your favorite sports cards with a
Beckett OPG Subscription

54 comments

1. Bart The Explorer 8 March, 2013 at 04:55

they called me “Little Van Gogh” in prison. not because i was an artist, because i cut off my bunkmate’s ear

2. R. Pierick Smith 8 March, 2013 at 07:35

I left my corporate job about a year ago to pursue my real passion, which is art (and sports of course). Sports art is taking off and I can hardly keep up with demands for my work! Never a better time to buy or sell sports art.

I haven’t had too much public exposure so hopefully Beckett could “discover” me.

Please check out my website.

I’m not directly influenced by other sports artists. Most sports artists out there aren’t doing it my way (see ‘Pop-Pop’ work on my website).

3. Chris Sembower 8 March, 2013 at 10:50

@ChrisSembower / fb.com/chrissembower

The sports art I’ve done so far has been for the Kansas City Chiefs, and Sporting KC / Adidas

I specialize in capturing moments, and making eyes move. Though I work digitally (painting), I learned how to produce artwork by hand with paint and air brushes when I was a kid. My personal work includes all different sports. Football, BBall, Baseball, Boxing, Swimming. If there’s action, I’m there.

My influences come mostly from the concept art field in the film and game industry. Guys like Stephan Martiniere, Ryan Church, and Feng Zhu are some of my heroes. Of course, nobody forgets Neiman easily, either :)

Cheers!

4. Robert Hurst 8 March, 2013 at 13:48

Dunno if my prior post has…..well, posted. I forgot to include influences. Oleg Stavrowsky, Howard Post, Tex Coulter, Norman Rockwell, Leroy Neiman, Frederick Remington, Van Gogh and Dalhart Windberg.
    I’m primarily known as a sports artist, but cover many genres. Sports, music, animals, people in general…adamnfineartist.com

5. Lance Fittro 8 March, 2013 at 15:32

You have got to include Graig Kreindler in your article. He is not only (in my opinion) one of the top sports artists working today, he’s also an all-around swell guy (and no doubt too humble to toot his own horn, so allow me to do so). He covers primarily baseball subjects (but has done other sports as well), and works in a photorealistic style that is especially pleasing when applied to those “old timers” who played before the advent of color photography. His level of research and attention to (obsession with?) detail is unparalleled, and his depiction of light, be it from the sun or stadium lights, in his work is masterful. In addition to his own website, he has a running thread on the Net54 board where he showcases works-in-progress and finished pieces, and if you read through it in chronological order (be prepared to spend several hours doing so), you can see how he continues to grow and improve as an artist:

6. Ted Dastick Jr. 8 March, 2013 at 15:36

I haven’t done much sports-related work. A few years ago I painted a statue for the Philadelphia Phillies, and I most recently did artwork for the “Heroes” base cards for ITG’s 2012-13 Heroes & Prospects hockey set.

I’ve done sketch cards for many properties for companies like Topps, Cryptozoic, etc. – Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Mars Attacks, Batman…. way too many to list.

As far as specialties, most of my cards are done with markers and colored pencils, but I use paints where I can.

My influences are all over the place – Sergio Aragones, Van Gogh – I guess I take a little bit from anybody whose work I admire.

7. chrisolds 8 March, 2013 at 16:05

Artists: Your email (if you use the field) will not be seen by the public. Please post here rather than email as your email could get buried in my inbox.

8. steve emerick 8 March, 2013 at 16:51

Ted Dastick is the “god” of sketch cards!

his work on Topps Mars attacks is beyond superlative!

9. Jay Caldwell 9 March, 2013 at 11:31

Consider Monty Sheldon for inclusion. He was inspired by George Sosnak and Eric Black whose work was for sale at west coast collectors’ shows. He has a rich sports history including Topps 2009 Chicle football (28 cards), 2010 Topps Chicle baseball (35 cards), 2011 Topps Gypsy Queen Relics 1 of 1 (25 cards), and his own series of sketch cards. Monty is better known for his Artballs®, painted baseballs, showing very life-like portraits and action scenes with detailed backgrounds. He also paints “team balls” with 10 – 14 dime-size portraits on the ball commemorating a particular team – say the 1955 Brooklyn Dodgers. Monty’s Facebook page, http://www.facebook.com/pages/Very-Mysterious-Artball-Painter-Monty-Sheldon/220955254596509, shows some of his work ranging from an Eddie Gaedel Artball® painted on a ball measuring about 1.5 inches in diameter to a full-size (12 inch) softball featuring an all-PED team. Monty’s work (110 Artballs ®) was featured last year at the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum in Kansas City in conjunction with the MLB All-Star game and will be at an art show in August 2013 in conjunction with the American Legion World Series in Shelby, NC (ccartscouncil.org).

10. john soukup 9 March, 2013 at 13:45

Hi

Im John Soukup
    Im an Artist that has done sketch cards for companies

I have done work for…

Mars Attacks
    Star Wars Galaxy 4,5,6,7
    Clone wars seasons one and two
    Empire Strikes Back 3d cards

5finity =
    P’ups, Magna Mandy, Car Wash Crazies

I have always loved baseball cards, been collecting since 2nd grade. When I got a chance to create work for Topps
    Its been a dream of mine. The idea that the artwork I make will be seen and pulled from packs its very cool.

With every project I try to come up with a new and different way to make the art. Im a collector as well, so I want to be excited and thrilled when i pull an insert from packs. Be in may
    Glow-in-the-dark text, Material on the cards, A card with moving pieces, an R2 unit with a fount panel that opens up ( for example) so the viewer can see the inside circuits.

And Idea( I hope Topps is listening ) is to take my painted baseballs- cut them from the ball and insert them into a card for an upcoming release.
    So collectors could have original artwork in a different form

Having projects that I can make art for that collectors will enjoy is what its all about-
    ps. Artists that I dig on … Gary Baseman, Ted Dastick Jr., Len Bellinger

11. John Giancaspro 10 March, 2013 at 12:02

I’ve been painting sports since the 80’s. My biggest influence was Dick Perez. I had the honor of being a bat boy for the New York Mets in 1991-92 where I was commissioned by just about every player on the team as well as other National League players. I am currently working on sketch card paintings for a company called In The game. I’ve had a 2 page interview written in Sports Collectors Digest and my work featured on the cover and I have also had my work published in Beckett on 2 occasions, a Joe DiMaggio in one issue and a Kerry Collins in another. I also paint on sports equipment such as baseballs, footballs, basketballs, helmets, jersey’s, etc. Please, feel free to like my page on Facebook:

12. Tim Carroll 10 March, 2013 at 19:41

I’m relatively new to sports art, but not to the world of sport. I like to create portraits/images of popular sports cards by using cut-up 1980’s commons as my medium. I also use other unorthodox media – as long as it makes sense in regards to the subject portrayed (ie. Shoeless Joe Jackson out of cut black socks, Frank “Big Hurt” Thomas out of Band-Aids, Bo Jackson/shattered bat, Ted Williams from toothpicks, etc.) I’ve been doing this for the past 3 years, and during that time, my work has been exhibited at several museums/galleries (Ted Williams Museum in St. Petersburg, Baseball Heritage Museum in Cleveland, among others). One of my card art pieces, “Change” was also the 2012 SABR Jerry Malloy Negro League Conference “People’s Choice Award” winner. I would view Chuck Close as an artist that had a major influence on my work. My art can be seen at: http:www.timcarrollart.com

13. Robert Hurst 12 March, 2013 at 23:40

Began as a professional artist in a collaboration with Earl Campbell in 1990.
    Artist to:
    The Texas Sports Hall of Fame since 1997
    The National College Baseball Hall of Fame since 2006
    Texas Heritage Songwriters Hall of Fame since 2010
    Las Vegas Bowl hall of Fame 2011
    Exhibited at The Gallery at the Ballpark in Arlington, Houston, Pittsburgh, Sports Art in Atlanta, Gallery E in Baltimore, Wild About Music in Ausitn and Los Angeles, New Orleans….
    Done work for the Houston Dynamo, New Orleans Saints, Baltimore Orioles, University of Texas, Kansas City Royals, several golf tournaments, Texas Legislature, the Special Olympics….and over 200 professional athletes.
    Am in the Negro League Museum, Babe Ruth Museum, Texas Basketball Museum…
    Won the Award of Excellence Beckett Sports Art competition 1997, 1998
    I’ve probably forgotten more than I’ve listed…
    I got into sports art by painting what I participated in. Football, motocross, martial arts, rugby, baseball, volleyball…I love my “job”.
    BTW, I’ll see you in Dallas this weekend. I’ll be set up at the show.

14. Brent Naughton 14 March, 2013 at 09:23

On October 1, 2011, I left my day job in the design world to pursue my dream of becoming a sports artist. While i still freelance, I have been creating sports art everyday with a special focus on baseball and my beloved Cincinnati Reds.

I do not claim to be the “world’s most renowned sports artist,” but I do understand what it feels like to have sports heroes, and to live and die with my favorite teams. My goal is to provide a piece of artwork that celebrates the greatness of the athlete that you hold close to your “tattered jersey-covered” heart.

Thanks in advance for the opportunity to share my work,
    Brent

15. Randy Skaggs 15 March, 2013 at 09:58

Above is a face Book link to some of my artwork, featuring 8 of the CFL’s top quarterbacks. I have been drawing sports since, oh, about 6 years old. I also do celebrities, etc., but my main focus has always been sports. About 90 % of my work is done with simple pencil crayons, though I have done oil paintings as well. I painted the entire Calgary Flames team from their Cup winning season in 1989 for a restaurant then called Greco’s in Calgary, Alberta. My work has always been a hobby but constantly get hounded to pursue a career. You can see more of my artwork, including hockey, football and celebrities at https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150789333477534.472727.748787533&type=3

I thank you in advance for at least taking a look at my work.

Sincerely,
    Randy

16. Jason Adams 15 March, 2013 at 11:04

I didn’t see my original post on here, so I’ll post it up again.

I’ve done sports sketch card work for Leaf for the Best of Football release and the upcoming Best of Hockey release.

Also, I’ve done a lot of commission work for guys around the country. Mostly baseball and the Rangers, but I’m not opposed to painting anyone in a unique style that’s a bit street and a bit pop culture.

I’ve done multiple sketch cards for Topps and Upper Deck as well.

Thanks,
    Jason

17. Jason Adams 15 March, 2013 at 11:06

I didn’t see my original post on here, so I’ll post it up again.

I’ve done multiple sketch cards for Topps and Upper Deck as well.

18. Jared Kelley 25 March, 2013 at 18:58

Chris – Thanks for inviting me to drop a line here. Since you asked:
    Easiest way to contact me is via Twitter. My handle is @jaredkelley.

Collectors became familiar with my art from my first art cards in 2011 Goodwin Champions (Presidential Masterpieces). Upperdeck reached out to me looking for a traditional portraitist who could (and was willing to attempt) recreate oil-like portraiture onto their sketch cards. Before that point I was strictly doing large scale portraiture within the Southeastern region and teaching 7-12th grade art at a parochial school in Alabama. But since the Presidential works, I’ve seen a huge interest in my sports art illustration and now devote all my time to painting. I now juggle traditional portraiture for private clients and trading card sports illustration work. The trading card artwork has been the best form of marketing I have ever been blessed to use. Essentially, the hundreds of cards I paint per year are promoting my art and name not just in the US but throughout the world.

Other notable credits:
    2011 Upperdeck Parkhurst

Aug 2011 – Present: Became Lead portrait painter for In The Game, Inc and her sister companies, Sportkings and Famous Fabrics. Products with my art include – Horrors of War II 2013, Sportkings Series E 2012, Gettysburg 2013, History of Hockey 2012, and various artworks for redemption programs offered thru ITG.

2013: Became the official portrait artist for National Trial Lawyers Association (Temple University)

Expertise:
    I paint predominately in acrylic paint, but have included watercolors, ink, and oils in my sports art in the past. My traditional portraiture is painted atop aluminum panelling.

Influences:
    I am influenced by artists such as Norman Rockwell, Steve Penley, Stephen Holland, Leroy Neiman, and Daniel Greene. Most recently I have become an avid fan of contemporary artists Graig Kreindler, Gary Davis, Glen Green, and Dino Guarino. These are the people from whom I gain deep inspiration.

Once again, Thanks for the interest and may I say that Beckett should have no trouble finding highly qualified artist in this thread. I recognize a lot of the names as they are friends I follow via social media forums. I hope that Beckett is able to inspire other artists out there to expand the limits of art within the Hobby!

19. Jeff Lang 25 March, 2013 at 22:09

Well, I am a former US Marine and took a long hiatus from artwork. After the Marine Corps I did contracting work in Afghanistan and to kill time I started drawing again. I took paper and colored pencils. the sports art that I did over there got rave reviews. I decided to use the GI Bill and go to art school which I am currently enrolled. If you check out my facebook page, “Art by Jeff Lang”, The Emmitt Smith was one of the pieces I finished while overseas. I have since done many other pieces for charities and autograph signings and for some pro athletes. I work in all mediums to include oil, oil pastel, colored pencil, pencil, and acrylic. Some of my pieces vary in style as well from realistic to more abstract. Hopefully you can take a few moments to look at my work and use my story for the magazine. Feel free to email me. I am working on a few different projects right now and have plenty of other work I could send you images of.

Jeff Lang

20. Jeff Lang 25 March, 2013 at 22:15

Jeff Lang

21. Jay Pangan III 27 March, 2013 at 02:24

Eh I sketch a little, but I vouch for JARED KELLY. If anyone should be featured, it should be Jared Kelly and ofcourse Dick Perez and Vernon Wells Sr.

Other people that I would be interested in reading are the ones who created the 1950’s Bowman and Topps, as well as the goudey and tobacco card graphic designers!!!

Good Luck!

Jay Pangan III

22. Chris Ripley 3 April, 2013 at 14:50

I’m a Calgary based sports artist. I was a amateur athlete for the last 10 years competing in track and then bobsled. Now I focus on creating unique sports art that captures the excitement and emotion of famous moments. I combine multiple images/perspectives and mediums to create dynamic/energized artwork. Thanks for posting this it’s been great to look at all these artists amazing work.

23. Stephen Burkett 13 April, 2013 at 20:45

I am a Detroit area based sports artist. I mainly create sketch cards, but I also do other larger artwork. I have recently completed my first hand-painted baseball of Stan “The Man” Musial. I am deeply passionate about baseball, and I love to create artwork of some of the greatest players in the game, as well as some of the greatest moments in the history of the game. I love art, and I love baseball. I love creating art in my studio from the game that I love! Thank you for the opportunity to post here!

24. Randy Skaggs 15 April, 2013 at 14:49

I have to assume that since it’s been a month since I posted my links and no one has gotten back to me that my art work did not meet with approval . . . .

25. chrisolds 15 April, 2013 at 16:30

Feel free to assume whatever you may like, but the fact of the matter is that I’m starting work on this issue just today.

26. Rich Molinelli 26 April, 2013 at 13:04

Hello I have done work for various Sports sets since 2008, mostly sketch cards:

Topps Stadium Club 2008
    Topps Updates and Highlights 2008
    Uppdeck NHL Masterpieces
    Topps Regular Releases from 2008-2012
    NBA Hardwood

and even most recently Leaf Trading Cards Best of NHL. I have also done artwork for keithgaryandron.com/pitch in for a cause that was used for prints and coffee mugs as well as a few other companies.

Look forward to hearing from you and thanks for your time

Rich

Would love to hear more about your project.

Rich

27. Mark Trudeau 21 August, 2013 at 11:26

Hi, my name is Mark Trudeau, and I work with a Sports Artist, Doug West, of Rochester Hills, Michigan. He has been painting for 30+ years, done many Super Bowl covers, Cooperstown covers, commissioned paintings, etc. He is very well known by many team owners, athletes, and private collectors. Right now, he is completing a work of Miguel Cabrera, and met with Miguel last week to go over status.

Anyway, I just found on your beckett website that you were looking for Sports Artists for an upcoming issue of Beckett (or something like this). Are you still open for that? We are currently working on Doug’s biography, and list of works, for a new website, which is how I found you.

If we could do something, or at least submit more info for you, could you reply? This would be great, and I am sure Doug could help in any way. He and I are both Beckett fans from way back, lol.

Take care.

Mark Trudeau

28. Ryan Savage 17 October, 2013 at 13:14

Hello,

I am a sports artist. My work is displayed in vintage sports apparel stores in the Pennsylvania area. I specialize in acrylic, pastel and pencil. I’m not very well known ,b ut I’m trying hard to get my work out there. I hope your company can help me!

29. ed 25 March, 2014 at 18:48

I don’t know if you closed this off or if you have found who you are looking for, but there is one artist you should interview. Brian Kong. He has done some amazing artwork for Topps. I collect and when it comes to owning a sketch from baseball I go for the Brian Kong. So far every box of cards I have purchased I have not had the luck of getting one of his sketches I have had to purchase. I read somewhere his work is right up there with Dick Perez. Not bad to be considered an equal to Dick.

30. Dwayne Lester 16 October, 2014 at 13:24

I was born in a little town, Steubenville, Ohio and raised in the Northern Panhandle of West Virginia in a town called Weirton. Twenty minutes from Pittsburgh, PA. The Steel Valley! Ohio Pennsylvania and West Virginia. Sports towns and sports rivalries. Our claim to fame was our diversity, our steel mills and most of all what I call the 19. Nineteen professional, baseball, football and basketball players that came from one town and were sports was integrated in 1956 where the Weir High Red Riders had a black quarterback. Names that include Russ Craft, Philadelphia Eagles, Ron “Fritz” Williams, Milwaukee Bucks, Bob Jeter, Green Bay Packers, Tony Jeter, Pittsburgh Steelers, Kevin Miller, Minnesota Vikings, Bill Tucker San Francisco 49ers and my Brother Dana Williams.

My art has been a journey of self-discovery and self-expression as a man who celebrates the African American experience and our a achievements in sports history. It is a process by which I choose to explore my past, and the past and present and future of African Americans in the sports industry, despite the roadblocks that have been thrown at us in the world of sports including sports art.

I am intrigued by sports in any capacity and of all cultures–what has been internally deemed worthy of remembering. Is it truly possible to re-visit ones past when the information stored has bee inevitably distilled by time, dreams, love and fear My memories are both a source of pain and healing – my spring of interrogation and inspiration. My memories of sports are what I tap into when creating my art.

31. Tom Sheppard 22 April, 2015 at 17:09

I have been a teacher, coach and professional artist for over 40 years. I have been concentrating the past few years on depicting the X’s & O’s used by all football and basketball coaches but using my own unique painting style. This work is for football and basketball, the two sports I have coached. I often do work that is “general”, i.e., showing plays with no particular team in mind. However, I do most of my work as commissions, images of specific plays of selected teams and incorporating relevant colors and specified image sizes (either on archival board or stretched canvas), or even as prints. I have done several basketball teams and football teams but am open to any request. I have won awards for my coaching, teaching and painting.

32. Jason Turner 22 June, 2015 at 22:43

I mainly do portraits but have dabbled with a few sports paintings in both oil and acrylic. The paintings are from a variety of sports including football, basketball, mma and boxing.

33. Cynthia Bluford Mejia 21 August, 2015 at 01:28

Hi Chris, I came across this page and had to drop a few lines. I’m an Artist in Orange county California. I love to paint sports legends and great moments in sports, and it was a copy of Beckett Magazine that set me off. I saw
    a painting of Elway on the inside cover of one of the 90’s issues and I decided I wanted to do that, and be on the inside cover of Beckett too! lol I kept at it while raising my kids, now they are off in the world and I am back to one of my passions.
    I don’t know if you are still doing this in 2015, if not you should. If it inspired me, it will continue to do so for others. I like the work of Norman Rockwell, because he told stories. I try and do that in my sports art, so that it’s more than just a face or a moment. The Artist who did the Elway painting offered that.
    So thank you for allowing me to share, and I promise not to be mad if you want to make my dream come true ha!!.

Cynthia

34. Joe Versikaitis 12 September, 2016 at 14:21

In a comment below, tell us your (or their):

— Name, link to website or portfolio along with a Twitter handle and/or email. joev@shaw.ca

— and some of your past credits.
    2008, 2015 Open Canadian competition winner

— and some of your specialties (media, sports, topics, etc.).
    Canadian Football League, National Hockey League, and FIFA soccer world
    — and some of your influences.
    Stephen Holland, Theo Fleury, Wayne Gretzky, Andres Iniesta, Nymar Jr, Leo Messi, and Teemu Selanne

Joe Versikaitis – Sports Artistt
    Versikaitis – The Art of Sports
    Website : http://versikaitis.wixsite.com/joe-versikaitis
    joev@shaw.ca
    Calgary, Alberta – Canada

35. John M Anelli 10 August, 2017 at 10:22

I have an un cut cover sheet from March 1990 #60 with Robin Yount and Todd Zeile on it. On the Back side are 2 pencil sketches of 2 different players. Do you know who did those sketches and who the players were ?

36. gary royse 24 April, 2019 at 18:00

responding to sports artist
    I have been a commissioned artist for over 30 yrs specializing in infant portraits (not advised ) I personally studied under sports artist Ted Watts (only artist to be commissioned for all Heisman Trophy winners )among other art
    I have recently been commissioned to produce art for the sports museum here in Oklahoma Very interested in producing quality art for this publication samples can be sent

37. Sterling A. West 16 September, 2019 at 19:36

Sports Art has been my passion for over 30 years. I began illustrating at the age of 13 and have pretty much taught myself over the years. With 27 years as a caricaturist and portrait artist, these skill sets easily transfer over into sports art. My work is held in regard for the likeness and natural essence of every athlete I capture. I’ve done art for numerous athletes and a few celebrities; the most notable are Steven Spielberg, Mike Munchak, Bubba McDowell( Oilers) Ryan Pickett( Packers), Drew Brees and a list of others. Currently, I’m attempting to develop a working relationship with the NFL and the New Orleans Saints Hall of Fame. My influences are Jack Davis, Dan Dunn; my mentor, Dru Blair, Tom Richmond, Justyn Farrano and myself. As a child, I remember watching the HOF inductions in Canton on television and seeing the illustrations on stage next to the player and the Bust, and I told myself, “ My work will be up there someday.” To be recognized for a genre of art that’s been such an intricate part of my life would be a dream come true as well as a childhood dream fulfilled. My art business, Southern Draw PortraitWorks has been a source for high quality Original Sports Artwork, Sports Prints, and Custom Commission Artwork since 2002. Feel free to view my work on Facebook and Instagram under the Southern Draw PortraitWorks name, and on Fine Art America under my name, Sterling West.

38. Vincent Bova 19 November, 2019 at 17:46

I’ve done many baseball sketch cards for Topps beginning in 2009. Currently people are making attempts at cashing in on the cards. I’ve seen them offered from$1,900 and up but have never confirmed a sale at those prices. I love doing the golden age of baseball and look forward to continuing my career as a sketch artist.

39. Ramon Mejia 12 July, 2020 at 22:32

My name is Ramon Mejia and topps releases my set of digital baseball cards a coupLe of weeks ago and they have sold over 100k in just under 2 weeks. I have also worked wit the other major sports leagues and teams. You can take a look at some of my work by going to my site and social media profiles.

40. NOAH STOKES 23 September, 2020 at 15:45

Chris,
    My name is Noah Stokes – website https://noahstokesart.com/ Twitter @noahstokesart IG @noahstokesart

Past credits – 2002 Just Minors, National Pastime Museum Artist, Negro League Baseball Museum – Jackie Robinson bobble head commission. Clients – University of Georgia – Herschel Walker, University Florida – Steve Spurrier, Danny Wuerffel, Florida State – Bobby Bowden, Josh Gibson Foundation

Specialties – “I paint heroes!” I love to use exaggeration to emphasize the larger than life heroes we all admire. Baseball is a big part of my work, Football might be number 2 in subject matter. I also love painting stars from music, movies, television.

Biggest influences are Bernie Fuchs and Norman Rockwell. Fuchs for his composition and use of light. He could do so much with what appeared to be so little. And Norman Rockwell – such a great painter and I admired his ability to use just the right amount of exaggeration to give his subjects life.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you soon

41. James Pokrivnak 23 November, 2020 at 07:44

jamespokrivnak@live.com JaymzP visual artist and entrepreneur designer musician and I sculpt logos and characters and started packing noting abstract paintings of famous sports cards…. hope to hear from you guys comics and cards and ART are my life

42. james schroeder 7 January, 2021 at 15:04

my twitter is @jschroederart and my IG account is @Jamesschroederart
    I don’t have a website right now, but I am a self taught artist and I do paintings on doors.
    I focus on sports and American History. I had several paintings at the Pasttimes Museum and you can find my Negro League work through the Syracuse Cultural Workers.
    I use spray paint and stencils in my work. I normally use names of athletes or quotes to build the background and uniforms.
    I just saw a really cool issue of Beckett and it was all about art and WOW! it was amazing.

43. Juan DeLeon 3 February, 2021 at 16:58

Chris I picked up Beckett’s Art of the Game.i really enjoyed this issue. I’m a Sports photographer and a artist. Just a thought of probably doing a special section of the games sports photographers. Your media artist take our photos as references for their media work. Just a thought…

44. Murray Henderson 22 November, 2021 at 13:07

I’ve been actively pursuing art since a young age and have grown into a highly celebrated artist, enjoying exceptional success painting athletes, I believe that my art is benefited by a cross-disciplinary practice and find that my work in one style will influence my work in another. My training in photo realism has a profound influence on my exact abstract art style. I simultaneously combine abstract and realism to create a dynamic often called “a cool piece of controlled chaos on canvas”,