2021 Topps Heritage Cavan Biggio Base Card Is Missing…For Now

Share:

Topps Heritage Baseball is one of the most heavily built sets each year. For a set that’s got its share of short prints, there’s one card in the 2021 Topps Heritage set that’s proving to be particularly elusive — Cavan Biggio (#216).

Collectors can stop they hunt, at least for now.

The base version of the card isn’t in packs. At this point, it doesn’t exist.

In a statement on Twitter, Topps claims a production error caused the mishap but doesn’t go into any further details.

Biggio’s French and Mini parallels didn’t suffer the same fate. They’re in packs.

The gap in the base set isn’t permanent, though. Topps did say in their statement that the card will be included in 2021 Heritage High Number later this year.

Share:

Ryan Cracknell

A collector for much of his life, Ryan focuses primarily on building sets, Montreal Expos and interesting cards. He's also got one of the most comprehensive collections of John Jaha cards in existence (not that there are a lot of them). Got a question, story idea or want to get in touch? You can reach him by email and through Twitter @tradercracks.

Tens of millions of cards available for sale in the
Beckett Marketplace!

Get up-to-date pricing for your favorite sports cards with a
Beckett OPG Subscription

13 comments

1. Robert Belenzon 30 March, 2021 at 22:59

Hi Ryan
    Sounds like a sneaky way to sale more high numbered sets?
    What about the Biggio parallels? Are they missing, too?
    Bob

• Ryan Cracknell 31 March, 2021 at 19:29

@Bob – The French and Mini variations are in packs. I haven’t seen any others. I don’t think Cavan Biggio is a needle mover if this were some intentional thing. Cards are made by people. People make mistakes.

2. JDonovan 31 March, 2021 at 01:10

I have never been a big fan of the quality control at Topps, but after the flipped backs of Update and substandard checklist for stars on Heritage and now just actually missing a card from a set for the first time I can remember, one really has to question how some of these people keep their jobs. Then again, we still buy the stuff, so maybe they don’t need to care about quality control.

• Ryan Cracknell 31 March, 2021 at 19:30

@JDonovan – People deserve to lose their jobs because a card back is flipped around? Is it annoying? Sure.

3. fred 31 March, 2021 at 08:34

I’ve already seen some complete sets up on eBay over the past few days. I wonder how they accounted for the fact that one of the cards wasn’t even there.

4. JDonovan 1 April, 2021 at 08:38

@Ryan – Don’t get me wrong I am not advocating people being fired over a relatively small mistake, but if my product consistently comes out with poor quality control, you better believe I will at least consider going in a new direction. If it was just one time, I would obviously write it off as a mistake, but it’s not just been one minor error with Topps’s QC.

5. John Benepe 1 April, 2021 at 13:35

I will simply state 2021 base set 1 – 400 ( no card 216 cavin Biggio, ) 399 card set. 216 will released with high number set in the fall.

6. Christopher Zvolanek 6 April, 2021 at 08:38

Calvin biggie will be up for sale when grading is available if they find boxes in my boxes of cards.

7. Aaron Johnson 18 September, 2021 at 08:51

It would be nice if Topps made up for this mistake by allowing people to send in 2021 Heritage wrappers in exchange for the missing Cavan Biggio card instead of making it available in High Numbers that we have to buy later.

• Ryan Cracknell 22 December, 2021 at 17:19

@Mike – Other companies did that like Goudey, but I can’t recall any base cards from Topps being left out on purpose. Do you have any examples?