2016 Topps Heritage baseball cards: A journey back to 1967

Share:

2016 Topps Heritage Baseball Real One Autographs Carlos Correa

By Chris Olds

It’s time to turn back the clock — and 2016 Topps Heritage Baseball does just that with the throwback product’s 16th season — a year that will look back at 1967.

As usual, one autograph or relic is in every 24-pack hobby box and there are 12 boxes per hobby case.

Basic Set and Parallels

16_Topps Heritage Baseball-stanton

As it has been in recent years, 2016 Topps Heritage Baseball has a 425-card base set capped by 75 short prints.

Three types of variations to chase in the set were announced in advance — Throwback Uniforms, Action Images and Color Swaps. A fourth was added on the down-low, Single-Player Rookie Variations. These take five players and ditch the dual-player rookies that were in the 1967 set. Heritage is known for having Error Variations and the occasional surprise as well.

The basic set has Red Back parallels for all 500 cards. One hundred cards also have Mini (/100) and Chrome versions. Heritage Chrome cards have Refractor (/567), Black (/67) and Gold (/5) versions. Randomly inserted hot boxes also have their own Chrome parallel.

Autographs

16_Topps Heritage Baseball-trout

The model for autographs in 2016 Topps Heritage Baseball is the same as in past years. Real One Autographs feature active and retired players along with a Red version limited to 67 copies. There are also dual and triple autographs limited to 25 and five.

Clubhouse Collection Relics and Flashback Relics also have autographed versions. These are limited to 25 for standard cards and the duals will be limited to 10. Also to be found will be 1/1 Cut Autographs for celebrities as well as notable baseball names from 1967.

Inserts

16_Topps Heritage Baseball-flashbacks

Don’t expect any surprises in the lineup here. There are New Age Performers, Then & Now, Baseball Flashbacks and News Flashbacks all looking back to 1967.

Box toppers include 1967 ad panels, 1967 Topps buybacks that are foil stamped and 1967 Topps Posters that are in the style of those past cards. These are limited to only 50 copies with an autographed version limited to 10.

Also back for 2016 Topps Heritage Baseball are Punch-Out cards — this time for 1967 with jumbo patch, autographed and signed patch versions. There are just 25 of the Relics and only 10 copies per card on the autographs.

Retail packs have Bazooka inserts once again. Sticking with the retail side, Target packs have 1967 Stand-Ups inserts while those shopping at WalMart can find exclusive 1967 Discs inserts.

Memorabilia

16_Topps Heritage Baseball-cubsquad

The formula here also remains the same with Clubhouse Collection Relics for current and past players. They have a Gold parallel limited to 99. Dual Relics are limited to 67, Triples are limited to 25 and Quads have ten copies each. Also back are Mint Coin Relics and Stamp Relics. The stamps in 2016 Topps Heritage Baseball are limited to just 50 copies per card, while the coins will vary by denomination — nickel (/15), dime (/10), quarter (/5) and 50-cent-piece being a 1/1.

2016 Topps Heritage Baseball at a glance

Packs per hobby box: 24
Cards per pack: 9
Boxes per case: 12
Set size: 500
Release date: March 2, 2016

What to expect in a hobby box

• Autographs or Relics – 1

Chris Olds can be found on Twitter by clicking here.

Share:

Tens of millions of cards available for sale in the
Beckett Marketplace!

Get up-to-date pricing for your favorite sports cards with a
Beckett OPG Subscription

19 comments

1. Steve-Dood 8 September, 2015 at 18:44

Heritage finally caught up with me !!! What I mean is-the only ‘vintage’ set I’ve been plugging away at is the 1967 Topps BB

2. Dan 9 September, 2015 at 09:32

Always love Heitage. Eddie Mathews as an Astro… that just is painful. What’s next? Warren Spahn as a Met?

3. Francis 9 September, 2015 at 10:12

Love the idea. The execution is not so hot. I continue to be mystified as to why Topps uses pictures that are colorized or painted or whatever, instead of real photos. I have tons of the originals, and the photos are worse on the Heritage cards (less clear, colors less accurate) than the real things that are 50 years old. I think they’re trying to be too cute, making them look “vintage”. The problem is, examples of the originals are everywhere, and it’s easy to see the images aren’t that great.

4. John 9 September, 2015 at 11:25

Judt to let everyone know I have tons of double to trade from prior Years 2007 to 2015. let me know if you want to trade my user name is 1223pack

5. David 9 September, 2015 at 23:38

Love the Heritage concept and the 1967 design. However, I completely agree with Francis’ post above. I don’t understand why Topps insists on using faux-blurry images and faux-grainy backgrounds. The cards from half a century ago featured sharper pictures of the players and clearer backgrounds. I would have purchased much more of the 2014 (1965 design) Heritage product if it hadn’t been for the consistenly blurry photos and backgrounds.

6. phillies_joe 10 September, 2015 at 11:36

Hope there are no bubble gum stain backs in this years product…..really killed me as a team collector for 2015. I don’t mind variations / parallels as long as its on the front of the card. Great looking set……well past time for the Clubhouse Collection style to be changed……same boring looking junk every year. Plus the relics are so small why even bother. All that being said….count me in for a couple of boxes + team case breaks.

7. cvn 13 September, 2015 at 13:38

I just hope Topps gets the details right . . . How about a return to checklists in the set, with the disembodied heads of the 1967 series? Are we going to have wood-grain-bordered “TV” World Series cards? Team cards? And, most of all, is Topps going to put some effort into the multi-player cards, because it sure hasn’t over the last several years. The 2015/1966 multi-player cards were truly awful. The 1967 set had the most classic multi-player cards of all time, and I just hope that Topps isn’t going to muff the execution this time around . . .

8. Dugoutdug 13 September, 2015 at 17:08

My next autograph project starts March 2nd, 2016! For the original 1967 Topps set, I have 581 of the 609 cards with at least one autograph including 72 signed by Hall of Famers. I have always been a fan of Heritage cards and have really been looking forward to the 1967s.

9. Martin Watson 16 September, 2015 at 22:07

My all time favorite topps set must likely because it was the first year I opened packs. I was 5 years old in kindergarten.

10. Jraym 8 November, 2015 at 11:17

I loved the 1967 set. I’m only missing 3 cards from that set so I’m really looking forward to this years Topps Heritage. The photography on those cards that year was,pretty sharp so I agree with the comments above that Topps doesn’t make them blurry or grainy but judging from the 2 samples above that doesn’t look like that will happen. I’d like Topps to stop overdoing the hatless cards though. That was mainly done for traded players that they couldn’t get photos of in their new uniforms. Also would like to see catchers in catchers poses. The original series had a lot of those but the Heritage hasn’t done theses poses at all.

11. Jason Petterson 2 March, 2016 at 22:33

I got to my local shop here in Beaverton oregon, Mitchell’s sports room, great guy. Fresh box first packs sold. Picked 2 packs from each stack, first stack halfway down, middle stack 2/3 down and last stack top 2. Pulled the relic card from the box!! Such luck on release day and got into a box break in where I chose giants and the buyback appeared and two buster Posey relics. What a great look to the cards, can’t wait for the season to get under way. Happy hunting all.

12. Jay 15 March, 2016 at 16:16

Hi guys! I love this time of year too but had a question. Do you think they will ever do a run say,77-78 years( those were the ones I had as a kid) and my favorite 69(the black boarder) ?

• Ryan Cracknell 15 March, 2016 at 16:19

As long as Heritage remains popular, they should. Heritage moves up a year so 2017 will be 1968, 2018 will be 1969, etc.