2016 Topps baseball design revealed — and it’s not like you might expect

Share:

2016 Topps Series 1 Baseball Base Buster Posey Cropped

By Ryan Cracknell | Hobby Editor

Today, the design for 2016 Topps was revealed and it’s anything but traditional — at least for the most recognizable brand in the hobby.

What most will notice is the near lack of borders. The nameplate at the bottom has a couple of bars, including a peek at the team logo. A faint moon-like pattern fades in the top corner and the bottom as well. But other than that, the 2016 Topps Baseball design takes a full-bleed approach.

2016 Topps Series 1 Baseball Base Buster Posey

This marks the first time that a flagship Topps baseball set has been without borders. Plenty of other brands have taken this approach in the past, but never in the main set.

“I think we are trying to move forward and make the cards a little more modern and current. I think gradually we have been going in that direction and break from the past a little bit,” said John Doldan, Topps senior art director on the Topps website.

No further details on 2016 Topps Series 1 Baseball have been released at this point but stay tuned.

What are your initial thoughts on the 2016 Topps Baseball design? Let us know in the comments below.

Your Turn: 2016 Topps baseball cards

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Share:

Ryan Cracknell

A collector for much of his life, Ryan focuses primarily on building sets, Montreal Expos and interesting cards. He's also got one of the most comprehensive collections of John Jaha cards in existence (not that there are a lot of them). Got a question, story idea or want to get in touch? You can reach him by email and through Twitter @tradercracks.

Tens of millions of cards available for sale in the
Beckett Marketplace!

Get up-to-date pricing for your favorite sports cards with a
Beckett OPG Subscription

16 comments

1. phillies_joe 11 August, 2015 at 11:23

Great Looking stuff…..however I concur….if it looks to much like another product line, that curbs my enthusiasum.

2. Isaac 11 August, 2015 at 11:48

This actually looks really cool, I agree that it looks too much like Stadium Club, but I would take this design over many at the price in which they sell them. Good job, Topps!!

3. Patrick McCollough 11 August, 2015 at 12:06

I loved Stadium Club thus year and I have always liked the old Donruss sets. I definitely will pick this set up.

4. LuAnn 11 August, 2015 at 12:40

This looks great. I love full bleed photos on cards. I assume they’ll change the color of the smoke/cloud in the two corners for the color parallels.

5. Kerry Orton 11 August, 2015 at 12:45

I have not collected the Topps base set for many years because of the archaic design. I like the change and may finally collect Topps other than just the inserts!

6. Jonathan W. Iwanski 11 August, 2015 at 13:03

Since Topps oversees so many other “companies,” it’s hard not to copy itself. It’s not a bad as nine of the same card with different colored borders, but it will get there. Go, Topps!

7. David Hollingsworth 11 August, 2015 at 15:20

Card design looks good to me but do not like the background the way they have it at all. Like seeing the people in the stands behind the players clearly,

8. Ed 11 August, 2015 at 18:49

Not only do they look good as a paper product, imagine what they will look like as a Topps Chrome card. Those “moon” areas will work well with the refractor treatment.
    I’m there.

9. Ken 12 August, 2015 at 01:33

From an artistic perspective, the first photo (the horizontal one) is great. Makes a statement without saying a word, other than the Topps logo. Only thing I would do there is add the release year (2016) and call it a day. All the info can go on the back. But it’s a flagship brand, so I understand why that may not be possible.

10. Andre 12 August, 2015 at 04:24

I like it all except for the logo area. It reminds me too much of Minor league hockey cards.

11. kris buonocore 19 August, 2015 at 12:31

looks like back to back nice releases from topps main product. this year was a much needed change and looks great

12. joe13 22 November, 2015 at 22:58

I don’t care for the borderless look, it looks just like upper deck. Come on topps don’t be like someone else. some of your sets in the last 20 years could be better, but at they are better than the competition.