Why a PSA 10 1986-87 Fleer Johnny Moore Is Worth More Than $10,000

Share:

1986-87 Fleer Johnny Moore PSA 10 Front

By Ryan Cracknell | Hobby Editor

Johnny Moore’s nine seasons in the NBA weren’t exactly the thing of legend. He led the league in assists in 1982 and his number is retired by the San Antonio Spurs. But Moore was never an All-Star. He’s not a name that comes to mind when it comes to all-time greats. And yet, if you have a Gem Mint PSA 10 1986-87 Fleer Johnny Moore, you’re sitting on a card that’s sold several times for more than $10,000 in recent years.

You read that right. PSA 10 1986-87 Fleer Johnny Moore cards are worth more than $10,000.

PWCC currently has one on eBay for more than $11,000. And before you go calling shenanigans and assume that it won’t get paid for, Memory Lane Inc. sold one in May for $11,296.80. A couple of weeks later, PWCC sold another one for more than $15,100.

1986-87 Fleer Johnny Moore PSA 10 Reverse

So how does a card go from being a $2 common to a five-figure card?

To say that 1986-87 Fleer Basketball is a classic set might be an understatement. Led by the Michael Jordan rookie card, he’s joined by a veritable dream team of other RCs including Charles Barkley, Hakeem Olajuwon, Karl Malone, Patrick Ewing, Dominique Wilkins and more. Over the years, several collectors have undertaken the challenge of assembling Gem Mint sets.

So there’s the market.

The 1986-87 Fleer Johnny Moore isn’t some sort of ultra-rare short print in raw form. But when you’re searching for cardboard perfection, it becomes a Holy Grail.

1986-87 Fleer Basketball is tough when it comes to high-end copies to begin with. Centering is a long-standing issue on all of the cards. The colorful borders and red corners wreck further havoc.

Compounding that is the fact that the Moore card is usually found with a couple of small printing defects.

Combine those simple factors and you’ve got a recipe for explosive prices.

Comments? Questions? Contact Ryan Cracknell on Twitter @tradercracks.

Share:

Ryan Cracknell

A collector for much of his life, Ryan focuses primarily on building sets, Montreal Expos and interesting cards. He's also got one of the most comprehensive collections of John Jaha cards in existence (not that there are a lot of them). Got a question, story idea or want to get in touch? You can reach him by email and through Twitter @tradercracks.

Tens of millions of cards available for sale in the
Beckett Marketplace!

Get up-to-date pricing for your favorite sports cards with a
Beckett OPG Subscription

13 comments

1. Jonathan 16 June, 2016 at 15:37

Try to explain it any way you can, it is still an anomaly. Now I’ll go check to see if I have a raw one lying around.

• Ryan Cracknell 16 June, 2016 at 16:39

The pattern has been set on the card with a history of sales. It’s past the anomaly stage.

2. Trey 19 June, 2016 at 13:08

Jonathan does have a point. How many sales have been made at this price point over the years….Five, ten, twenty? Considering the print run for the entire product is hundred thousand plus copies for each card, it has to be considered an anomaly that’s solely driven by a dozen or so collectors obsessed on collecting Gem Mint 10 PSA set registry sets of 1986-87 Fleer Basketball.

3. peter 12 March, 2019 at 11:10

Does this card have to be a 10 to get that price ,,what if it has a small mark on the card to make it not mint???

4. peter 12 March, 2019 at 11:13

I do have this card but has a very very small defect on it for it not to be a 10,,is this card still worth money or does it have to be mint to sell at that price

• Ryan Cracknell 12 March, 2019 at 11:18

@Peter – The extremely high prices are due to the grade as this particular card is so tough to find in perfect shape.

5. Rob Robison 29 September, 2019 at 10:32

@Ryan – I currently have 11 ’86 Fleer Johnny Moore psa 10’s. No typo here, 11 is correct. I started zeroing in on the Moore card specifically in the past couple of years in hope’s of assisting the market to drive upward. I’ve managed to acquire the entire ’86 and just recently completed the sticker set all in psa 10 form. I can’t tell you how happy I am to finally say I’m done for it wasn’t easy or cheap to acquire. My question for you is… At what point would you release the Moore’s back into the market? 50th year anniversary?

• Ryan Cracknell 2 October, 2019 at 14:57

@Rob – This particular card is largely dependent on how active the set building market is. If you’re going to move the extras, I’d probably do it very slowly over time.

6. Craig 20 May, 2020 at 14:53

I just came across this post on a search for info regarding the fleer 86 cards. I found an old open box I have. It contains some significant cards. I found 3 Jordon cards, 2 Jordon stickers. Also, many of the allstars and hall of famers. Ryan, what do you suggest is the best way to get these cards certified? I have no idea where to send or take them. I see sellers on ebay use PSA and Beckett. Appreciate any comments-suggestions
    Thanks