`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 42 Vote(s) - 2.93 Average
Beckett Baseball: Ask the editor

CUBuffs13 Wrote:I noticed recently that Gary Sheffield was included in the continuation of Upper Deck's 500 Home Run Club set and was wondering why no cards were ever produced for Barry Bonds and Alex Rodriguez.

Quick answer: I believe it's because they have/had deals with Topps.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

Moyni Wrote:Hey Chris. Why are the 1/1 Blank back cards issued by the Topps Vault not in the database?

Quick answer: I could be wrong, but I believe it's because they weren't released in pack form.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

edverrilla Wrote:when are the prices for 2010 topps baseball going to be revealed? I have my Buster Posey card and I know its gonna be a good card! Thanks

I know that the checklist is on the site now. Didn't notice whether they were priced yet. It should be any day now if they aren't already.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

chrisolds Wrote:
Moyni Wrote:Hey Chris. Why are the 1/1 Blank back cards issued by the Topps Vault not in the database?

Quick answer: I could be wrong, but I believe it's because they weren't released in pack form.

There are plenty of cards on the checklist that weren't "released in pack form." What does that have to do with it? Heck, every redemption card that is sent in receives a card that wasn't released in pack form.

The checklist of any player should attempt to catalogue every MLBPA/MLB authorized card period. It should be all encompassing and give the collector the best resource possible.

Moyni Wrote:
chrisolds Wrote:

There are plenty of cards on the checklist that weren't "released in pack form." What does that have to do with it? Heck, every redemption card that is sent in receives a card that wasn't released in pack form.
The checklist of any player should attempt to catalogue every MLBPA/MLB authorized card period. It should be all encompassing and give the collector the best resource possible.

And there are plenty of products released in pack form that are NOT cataloged as well for varying reasons.
However, redemption cards are checklisted and released as part of a product.
Topps Vault cards/products are not.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

Why are so many of the 1933 Goudey cards categorized as rookie cards, particularly when the majority of the players had cards issued more than a decade before that set?

I'm new to the board, and am looking for some help with a Mis-printed card I've been holding on to for almost 25 years. I tried contacting Topps, and they recommend I forward the question to Beckett (and this looks like the best thread to post it in).

The card I've been holding on to is a 1983 Topps, and has Milwaukee Brewer Robin Yount on the front, but the statistics for St. Louis Cardinal Joaquin Andujar (Card #228) on the back. Is there any record of this mis-print? I tried searching for it on Googlebut could find no listing of it. I also searched here on Beckett, and again came up with nothing. The card carries the Topps trademark,and appears to be genuine (though I'm certainly no expert).

Were these type of mis-prints common back then?

Thanks in advance

BigGuy219 Wrote:Why are so many of the 1933 Goudey cards categorized as rookie cards, particularly when the majority of the players had cards issued more than a decade before that set?

This was all established years ago (well before I was here), but essentially it comes down to the way cards were distributed and the national availability when the RC tag is applied and when it's not. (See the recent BSCM with Tiger Woods on the cover for more on how the RC tag gets applied.)
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

Dave1069 Wrote:I'm new to the board, and am looking for some help with a Mis-printed card I've been holding on to for almost 25 years. I tried contacting Topps, and they recommend I forward the question to Beckett (and this looks like the best thread to post it in).

The card I've been holding on to is a 1983 Topps, and has Milwaukee Brewer Robin Yount on the front, but the statistics for St. Louis Cardinal Joaquin Andujar (Card #228) on the back. Is there any record of this mis-print? I tried searching for it on Googlebut could find no listing of it. I also searched here on Beckett, and again came up with nothing. The card carries the Topps trademark,and appears to be genuine (though I'm certainly no expert).

Were these type of mis-prints common back then?

Thanks in advance

It sounds like a typical wrong-back card -- which many collectors consider to be defective cards. When press runs were especially high in the past, more defective cards would get through and into packs. This is one of those cards.

Typically, most would say that cards of that type carry little to no value but a collector of the particular players might pay a few bucks for those types of cards here and there. If it's a good player or a key card, there might be even more paid.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

hey chris i was just looking at the feb monthly looking at the T-206 and it says that the framed piedmont relic cards are 1:71 but i know for a fact that you get at least 1 maybe two per box and then it state that old mill are 1:105 and have .4x- 1x how is this? i understand that it this way with base & rookie cards some times, but with inserts i was under the impression that if they are harder pulls they have greater value except as i stated above. can you explaine this so it's more clear thanks chuck