Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 42 Vote(s) - 2.93 Average
Beckett Baseball: Ask the editor

BigGuy219 Wrote:Chris,
How often are the lists of semistars, minor stars, etc. updated on older sets? Recently I've been adding thousands of 1990s and 2000s cards into My Organize and suspect some of the 'star' categories are a bit outdated. Any 'behind the scenes' information on how the 'star' lists are made and kept up-to-date?

I know that there is constant adjustment done to the lists by the analysts, however specifics rest with them. Sorry I can't say anything more specific than that.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

jhyde77 Wrote:The Sports Card Monthly articles I enjoy most are the ones that contain a full color card listing (i.e. Cards You Always Wanted and Should Buy Right Now!, 50 Greatest Autograph Cards, etc. ).  Are there any plans for similar articles in the near future? 

Thanks,

Jeremy

We're always evaluating our mix of content both online and in print. We've done some items like this in my time here but perhaps not enough. Poke around on the site here or on The Beckett Blog and you might find more.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

ricochetrob Wrote:I've got graded cards I don't want, and I can't give'm away (there so far out of demand).  I submit my graded card orders in person (since I live in the D/FW area).

If I offered to donate these to Beckett, would they take them?

Maybe Beckett could do a promotion, like giving 90ยข off my next order for every BGS 9 I donate.
Just a thought.

{I gotta get rid of these cards; they're an eyesore. Tongue}

You'd have to discuss BGS items with BGS. http://www.beckett.com/grading
However, I bet you might find plenty of other collectors here who'd be interested in cards as well.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

malouf1850 Wrote:i recently started collecting an autograph for every HOF'er. How ever i can not find some. can you tell me how many HOF'ers do not have certified autos.

You can find the exact number of certified autographs for any player by searching by name at the top of this page and then going to the player's page.
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

HoosierBuddy Wrote:Are there any plans in the works to correct the 2010 Topps listings? The "Legendary Lineage" cards in packs are listed in the OPG as "Past and Present," the "Cards Your Mother Threw Out" and the "Cards Your Mother Threw Out Original Backs" are listed as being Silk Collection, and they're not, and finally, the "Million Card GIveaway" cards aren't listed at all.
I was also wondering why Beckett doesn't list unlicensed cards. While they may not be licensed, they're still cards, and still viable parts of many collectors' collections. It would be helpful for cataloging and record-keeping, even if a "N/A" was applied to their values. The Broder-type cards are difficult enough to keep track of, without a Beckett-listing to assist.

I passed the 2010 Topps concerns to the analyst.
Not listing unlicensed cards came about years (if not decades) ago. I believe the decision was made because of two things -- first, the cards being unlicensed (essentially illegal) meant that neither the players nor the leagues approved or were compensated for those cards ... and, second, because of the uncontrolled environment under which they were made there could be countless print jobs done for a single card or countless cards made making it impossible for them all to be accurately cataloged, tracked etc. (If one got "hot" anyone could just up and print thousands more...)
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

just wondering if you found out anything about the kawakami auto?

[Image: p18mannbanner.gif]

manning da man Wrote:just wondering if you found out anything about the kawakami auto?

I passed the info along to the analyst but hadn't heard anything otherwise. You might see if there was an update to the database. (It's likely an SP compared to the other signature if so few have been sold online. However, if we have no announced quantities or anything posted there, it's not likely to have been announced.)
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

I noticed recently that Gary Sheffield was included in the continuation of Upper Deck's 500 Home Run Club set and was wondering why no cards were ever produced for Barry Bonds and Alex Rodriguez.

Hey Chris. Why are the 1/1 Blank back cards issued by the Topps Vault not in the database?

when are the prices for 2010 topps baseball going to be revealed? I have my Buster Posey card and I know its gonna be a good card! Thanks
let's go bucs! (I know I am hoping for too much)