`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 42 Vote(s) - 2.93 Average
Beckett Baseball: Ask the editor

jimpalmer-cuts-collage.jpg Jim Palmer 2007 SP Legenedary Cuts Jersey Set picture by chrispycards

chrisolds Wrote:
jag4dwd Wrote:
jag4dwd Wrote:The other day I bought a box of 2007 SPx. To my surprise I pulled a Platinum Iron Man 1/1 about half way through. It got even better when in the last pack I pulled a yellow printing plate of Chipper Jones and stuck to it (loosely) was a yellow printing plate for Devern Hansack. On the back of the Hansack printing plate, the card states it is #106. I noticed that the on-line Beckett price guide has no card #106 listed and in the base set #106 is Tim Lincecum. Any clarification you could give would be great!

<!--[if gte mso 9]> Normal 0 unctuationKerning/> false false false oNotPromoteQF/> EN-US X-NONE X-NONE ontGrowAutofit/> ontVertAlignCellWithSp/> ontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> ontVertAlignInTxbx/> MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 mallFrac m:val="off"/> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;}@font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-familyConfusedwiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-520092929 1073786111 9 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}.MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}.MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;}@page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;}div.Section1 {page:Section1;}--><!--[if gte mso 10]>... how a printing plate like this was included in a pack?&nbsp; Does this type of thing happen regularly?&nbsp; Would this card (printing plate) be considered an error card of the Tim Lincecum card or a variation of card #106 with a different player? Neither?&nbsp; I would be very grateful for any insight you could provide me.&nbsp; In case you would find it helpful, I have attached pictures of both the front and back of the card on a previous post in this thread (with pictures of a Cal Ripken Jr. card and a Chipper Jones printing plate).

Companies produce printing plates as inserts in various products -- an extra 1/1 to chase among the inserts. If the sticker on the back is the wrong number vs. the actual card, I'd chalk it up to being an uncorrected error. Checklists often change a lot during production so there was likely miscommunication or an update needed on that checklist for the sticker backs.&nbsp;

Collectors have even reported finding printing plates for cards that never were issued (autographed cards that weren't signed) but the plates went out, anyway.

Mistakes happen.

Thanks a bunch!&nbsp; This was a card that was never printed, like they ones you mention above.&nbsp; Devern Hansack has no card in the 2007 SPx set.&nbsp; It looks like they replaced him in the checklist with Tim Lincecum and then didn't pull out the printing plates they were going to use for Hansack or something.

Have you seen the post about the 2008 UD X Memorabilia cards? That post has been going on for a longgggg time. We are all wondering why there still isn't a value in the OPG. I understand the mag. not having prices after all this time. Can you guys PLZ read the post and try to get back to us about it?!

Dear Olds Baseball Card Monthly:

Can we get the real story behind 2006 Upper Deck #1117 Josh Rabe? I never heard of the guy and I had XM back in 2006, I listened almost exclusively to MLB. The guy was a 28 year old rookie and is now out of pro ball and coaching at some Division II school. He played in 38 games over 2 seasons. This does not look like a player who should have the 2nd most expensive card in a set (or even 15th for that matter). Not by a long shot. He has been retired for two freaking years already.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/player...1.shtml />

Also, I don't see this as a pricing issue. this is more of a matter of somebody dropped the ball while editing the price guide for over two years issue.&nbsp; LOL
Ankiel, Beltre, Sean Burroughs, Burrell, Glaus, Ben Sheets, and random vintage s
tuff.

I NEVER ship in PWE's. I would prefer to keep trades over
$10.

Always interested in non auto'd USA and AFLAC cards.

Hi Chris,
Do you include any book reviews in your Beckett Baseball magazine? I've recently read a new book written about Harry Kalas by Randy Miller. If you are either a Phillies or Harry fan this is a must read. Although most baseball fans will enjoy too. It contains great stories of his legendary life.
If interested, I can.put you in touch with the author.
Thanks
Found this #115 of 150 Topps 2007 Co-signers Vernon Wells/Alex Rios error card. It says Brett Myers on the top and Wells on the bottom. Did not see it listed on the site. What do you think?

&lt;a href="http://s615.photobucket.com/albums/tt237/animie67/Sports%20Cards/?action=view&amp;current=scan0003-1.jpg" target="_blank"&gt;&lt;img src="http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt237/animie67/Sports%20Cards/th_scan0003-1.jpg" border="0" alt="Wells, Rios error card" &gt;&lt;/a&gt;
Chris:I'm going to try this one more time ! This has been an exercise in futillity for me at times . My knowledge of computer navigation is lacking to say the less. My Q is this . I have 3 signed baseball's that have issues I'm curious about . Steve Garvey ball signed at Allstar game in San Diego is a ball purchased at the game and only has the word allstar on it with 2 stars . He signed it in person . 2nd ball Signed by Ichiro at allstar game in Seattle . I was in Ca. and my wife could only find plain baseball to take to the game . Newspaper photo even appears to be showing my then 3 yr. old daughter handing him the ball while atop mom's shoulders . Third ball is signed by Nolan Ryan . Official AL ball that appears to be game used or at least mud rubbed . Bobby Brown is the Commisioner on the ball . Have no idea what era . Ball was passed down to me from wifes family in TX's and no one knows it's origin or history . Can these baseball's be authenticated and is it worth bothering with . Thank you
(03-04-2011, 05:25 PM)rgoodell55 Wrote: Chris:I'm going to try this one more time ! This has been an exercise in futillity for me at times . My knowledge of computer navigation is lacking to say the less. My Q is this . I have 3 signed baseball's that have issues I'm curious about . Steve Garvey ball signed at Allstar game in San Diego is a ball purchased at the game and only has the word allstar on it with 2 stars . He signed it in person . 2nd ball Signed by Ichiro at allstar game in Seattle . I was in Ca. and my wife could only find plain baseball to take to the game . Newspaper photo even appears to be showing my then 3 yr. old daughter handing him the ball while atop mom's shoulders . Third ball is signed by Nolan Ryan . Official AL ball that appears to be game used or at least mud rubbed . Bobby Brown is the Commisioner on the ball . Have no idea what era . Ball was passed down to me from wifes family in TX's and no one knows it's origin or history . Can these baseball's be authenticated and is it worth bothering with . Thank you
There are numerous 3rd-party autograph authenticators out there like JSA and PSA/DNA, costs vary from company to company and from player to player. In my opinion, if you plan on keeping those items for yourself then there is no reason to authenticate, because they're yours and, other than the Ryan, you know they're legit. They might be worth authenticating if you plan to sell them, just depends on how much authenticated signatures of those guys sell for in relation to how much it would cost you to have them authenticated. I'm not Chris Olds, but hope that helps

[Image: scan0002-1.jpg]
I collect Bears,Titans,Cubs,Predators Less than 15 completed trades,
you send first. Min trade value $20
David Price,Sandberg,Ron Santo, Jim McMahon

If you have less than 25 trades. I ask that you ship first!
Collecting RC's / Prospects / USA / Aflac & Mike Stanton......
[Image: Scan1-1.jpg]

Will chip away at your questions this weekend. Still tying up some loose ends on a magazine today...
Chris Olds
Editor, Beckett Media

colds@beckett.com
Twitter @chrisolds2009
beckett.com/news

>>>> IF YOU HAVE A SITE ISSUE, please do not DM me.Please email customerservice@beckett.com. (I don't actually handle any of that stuff.)

chrisolds Wrote:Will chip away at your questions this weekend. Still tying up some loose ends on a magazine today...

Take your time.&nbsp; It can't be easy running a one man show like that.
Ankiel, Beltre, Sean Burroughs, Burrell, Glaus, Ben Sheets, and random vintage s
tuff.

I NEVER ship in PWE's. I would prefer to keep trades over
$10.

Always interested in non auto'd USA and AFLAC cards.

HI , I AM A NEW MEMBER OF BECKETT.COM AND I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR INFORMATION ON A SET I OWN , 1939 CENTENNIAL BASEBALL STAMPS , RUTH , COBB , CY YOUNG , H. WAGNER , ECT. - THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!

What can users do if they spot an error in the Beckett system?