Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Football Hobby Confessions

This looks fun!

-What big items have you bought that were funded by sellingyour cards? How much did you sell? Have you tried to collect thosecards again?

I have never spent more than 64 dollars on anything

-What is the most amount of money you have ever thrown down on a single card? What was the card? Do you still have it?

Single card was a sick Exquisite patch of McNabb Sold it later on for more. 38 i paid

-How often do you bid on online sports card auctions while working?
2 timesa year

-What is the most money you've ever spent on a single Beckett Marketplace purchase?

never

-What is the most you’ve ever spent on your card hobby in one month?

maybe 100

-What is the craziest thing you’ve done to get a player’s autograph?

say it was my bday

rgadberry Wrote:The most I have ever spent on a card was 250.00 for a 500.00 book value A Pete Gold SPX auto /99. I always wanted one, but nobody wanted to trade. I almost got divorced over the ordeal as I tried to hide it like a dumbass. My wife is a direct descendent of scooby doo. I swear she has a shaggy looking friend and cruises in the mystery machine. I can't silp anything by her.

Ha, that is the funniest description I have ever heard. I hope things ended up alright in the end though.

RE: Football Hobby Confessions
(04-07-2009, 04:56 PM)atolentino1 Wrote:

Everybody has a secret or two (or two hundred) stowed away somewhere. Luckily, most of us don’t need walk-in closets for our skeletons, but there are bound to be a few climate-controlled spaces hiding hush-hush hobby evidence.

Whether you paid an embarrassingly exorbitant price for an average card or you’ve illegally scaled an electrified fence to get an autograph from your favorite athlete, this is your chance to share your secret.

Depending on how revealing you’d like to be and how much of a “talkin’ to” you’re willing to endure, you might want to keep your responses anonymous on the <a href =http://www.blogbeckett.wordpress.com" target="_blank">blog</a>. However, if you’re willing to fess up to your collecting confession, feel free to shout it from the mountaintops here, there and everywhere.

We don’t have much experience in Hollywood style grilling and we frankly aren’t fond of rub burns, but here are a few questions to get the ball rolling:

<B>-What big items have you bought that were funded by selling your cards? How much did you sell? Have you tried to collect those cards again?

-What is the most amount of money you have ever thrown down on a single card? What was the card? Do you still have it?

-How often do you bid on online sports card auctions while working?

-What is the most money you've ever spent on a single <a href =http://www.beckettmarketplace.com" target="_blank">Beckett Marketplace</a> purchase?

-What is the most you’ve ever spent on your card hobby in one month?

-What is the craziest thing you’ve done to get a player’s autograph?</B>

Since this is an open forum, feel free to chime in with secrets and inquiries of your own.

<strong>-Andrew Tolentino</strong>

This was a great thread and I am now going to revive it. Let me begin.

What big items have you bought that were funded by selling your cards? How much did you sell? Have you tried to collect those cards again?
N/A

What is the most amount of money you have ever thrown down on a single card? What was the card? Do you still have it?
It was $42.40 for a rare Pro Line phone card parallel that I bought a few months ago. Everything I buy is for my own personal collection, so yes, I still own it.

How often do you bid on online sports card auctions while working?
I do it very rarely. It would have to be a last second sniper bidding type of scenario for something very rare that I really want. I am an outside sales rep so it is not hard for me to do that.

What is the most money you've ever spent on a single Beckett Marketplace purchase?
N/A

What is the most you’ve ever spent on your card hobby in one month?
Years ago I may have spent upwards of $300 or more. That was not the norm however.
I now have a disciplined way of keeping track of what I spend. I give myself $100 a month, mad money if you will, to blow on cards. So far I stayed under budget for five of the first six months this year.

What is the craziest thing you’ve done to get a player’s autograph?
N/A

Since this is an open forum, feel free to chime in with secrets and inquiries of your own.
I have a story that may or may not entertain you.

Both I and the lady in my life were unemployed for well over a year, circa 2009. I was still spending $100 or more on cards per month during this time, although I must point out that I had a lot of liquid money saved up during my tenure from my previous employer...still.

Anyway the housing association I live in has groups of mail boxes for multiple residences, mine is a 1/2 block away and is visible from my front yard. If I had a few things on order and would anticipate a package delivery I would look for a reason to go outside (cleaning out the car, pulling weeds, etc.) to coincide when the mail truck would come. I would make every effort to get there first, pull out my non-eBay stuff, bring that mail into the house, and then sneak out of the house at night and take my delivered cards out. I had a detailed system but I will not go into further detail. Granted she knew I was ordering something here and there, and she was okay with that, but she only saw a fraction of the accumulative packages that I received in the mail. It just would not look good if she knew, it just would not.

[Image: aoM1_zps2mg995on.gif]

Aaron Rodgers was staying in the hotel next to me in Hawaii and I went on the Net and saw pics of him on the same beach as me. I searched the beach for two hours a day, with my fabric marker and super bowl champs shirt. I never saw him. I cried the day we left lol
Collecting: Crede, Luck, Tannehill, Osweiler, Cobb

Revolving signature

A few answers to some of those questions.
Most $ I've spent on one card was just recently. $88 on a Gypsy Queen Gehrig Jersey. I figured it was cheaper than a box and I get the hit I wanted!

Most I've spent in a month was roughly $500. In '03 the month of The National and last summer also the month of The National.

Big item I've purchased from selling cards/collectibles was a cell phone.

Here's a confession. Had a Kidney transplant in 2009. Was released from hospital on a Monday and on the next Tuesday I went to LCS for trade night wearing a mask and gloves to protect from infection. Still had a drainage bag in too. I'm crazy! LOL
[Image: 9tnms3F.png]
Collecting Tom Brady, Rob Gonkowski, Mike Trout and Baseball HOF Relics

(07-03-2011, 11:14 PM)demondukk Wrote: A few answers to some of those questions.
Most $ I've spent on one card was just recently. $88 on a Gypsy Queen Gehrig Jersey. I figured it was cheaper than a box and I get the hit I wanted!

Most I've spent in a month was roughly $500. In '03 the month of The National and last summer also the month of The National.

Big item I've purchased from selling cards/collectibles was a cell phone.

Here's a confession. Had a Kidney transplant in 2009. Was released from hospital on a Monday and on the next Tuesday I went to LCS for trade night wearing a mask and gloves to protect from infection. Still had a drainage bag in too. I'm crazy! LOL
Haha I would go into my LCS the same way. Lol us card collectors are crazy Tongue
Collecting: Crede, Luck, Tannehill, Osweiler, Cobb

Revolving signature

lmfao demondukk you are one sick bastid! Did anyone ask you if what you had was contagious hahaha.
[Image: SigXacvol2.png]
New York Giants Fan & Collector.
http://s9.photobucket.com/home/deuce6000/

This isn't really one of the questions, but on December 22, 2000, I sold a 2000 SP Authentic Tom Brady RC for $15.00.

This transaction haunts me to this day.

[Image: UWashBanner2.jpg]
Banner by mattfastiggi
Collecting: Brett Favre (7,771 unique as of 6/1/2015), Packers, UW Huskies (Shaq Thompson, Shelton, Peters, Kikaha, Sankey, ASJ, Trufant, Locker, Brunell, Dillon, etc.)

(07-04-2011, 12:48 AM)uwash97 Wrote: This isn't really one of the questions, but on December 22, 2000, I sold a 2000 SP Authentic Tom Brady RC for $15.00.

This transaction haunts me to this day.
OUCH! I'm sure you have had a few go the other way too though.
[Image: SigXacvol2.png]
New York Giants Fan & Collector.
http://s9.photobucket.com/home/deuce6000/

What is the craziest thing you’ve done to get a player’s autograph?

Not a player but my friend and I went to 7-11 and bought Swisher Sweets at the request of Method Man's tour manager so we could get our albums signed.