`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 10 Michael Jordan Basketball cards...................

princeoftheforest Wrote:
Elgin Baylor Wrote:BTW, I would take a Prism Rookie over the 86 Fleer anyday of the week!

They were selling quite cheaply years ago i.e. 5 years ago.  I remember I got mine for just over $100.  But I'm very much liking how much they are going for nowadays...

Do you know that about 4 years ago or so, I saw a Jordan Prism PSA 9 going for 30K! If a PSA 10 would show up these days, and I had 10K to 20K I would drop it in a heart beat.

That is the Jordan card to have!
Hey guys, Elgin Baylor here. My user name everywhere else is SportsItUpCards so
it only made sense...
[Image: 2lcpeux.gif]

[Image: MJNumberPieces.jpg]

Since BGS is going to start Grading 1980's STAR CO. cards on Dec. 1rst I think his star xrc would be a must have..
[Image: done-2.jpg]

What about MJ's other 85 card, the Witchita Eagle newspaper one...?  I got that years ago for around $100 too, wonder what its worth now?

deez283 Wrote:Since BGS is going to start Grading 1980's STAR CO. cards on Dec. 1rst I think his star xrc would be a must have..

If they didn't grade this card before, what makes them experts on grading it now?

Hey guys, Elgin Baylor here. My user name everywhere else is SportsItUpCards so
it only made sense...
[Image: 2lcpeux.gif]

Elgin Baylor Wrote:
deez283 Wrote:Since BGS is going to start Grading 1980's STAR CO. cards on Dec. 1rst I think his star xrc would be a must have..

If they didn't grade this card before, what makes them experts on grading it now?

They're being very picky on the ones that they grade and are starting off by grading collections that are known to be legit Star Co. collections.  Plus, they are being advised and graders are being trained by Steve Taft the Star Co guru from Southern California...
Formerly "scotpollardfan" on the old BMB...

[Image: Ruthelitejersey.jpg][Image: JordanSPX.jpg]

Elgin Baylor Wrote:

Here's a cut and paste from the article.. If you have questions you could always email BGS and ask them about any concerns you have too..

Beckett Grading Services (BGS), the leading sports card grading company in the industry, will be expanding its portfolio of services to include ‘83-86 Star Company basketball cards beginning Dec. 1, 2008.

The move was initiated through a request from The Schonco Sports Collection to have BGS grade their inventory of Star Co. basketball cards prior to its release onto the market.

Star Co. was the exclusive licensed distributor of NBA cards in the early 1980s, and their limited edition sets feature some of the earliest and most valuable Michael Jordan rookie cards available.

BGS had not previously offered grading services for this product as it was believed that many of the existing cards on the market were counterfeit, or possibly reprinted, long after their original runs. To quickly ramp up expertise in the grading of the collection, BGS has recruited the help of Star Co. expert Steve Taft to train staff on the nuances of the series.

The new BGS services available to the public on Dec. 1 will include grading for all un-bagged basketball card singles including the three mainstream sets, insert sets, subsets, promotional sets such as "Gatorade" and "Crunch 'N Munch”, and 5x7 oversized cards. Graded cards will carry a label designating it as part of The Schonco Sports Collection inventory.

"Best of the Best" and "Magic Johnson" sets will only be graded out of the pedigreed Schonco Sports Collection, and public grading of bagged sets may be offered in the future.

The Schonco Sports Collection cards will include some of Jordan’s early cards as well as many key sets like 1984 Boston, Dallas, Detroit and Philadelphia team sets. With a high demand from long-time Star collectors, these cards are expected to disappear quickly once they become available for sale.

[Image: done-2.jpg]

Any card of Jordan that was made after his playing days SHOULD NOT be a Top 10 Card.

For example... someone will say

"My Exquisite 2/23 2004-05 patch is top 10"

Well... next year, someone is pulling that same exact card when they make more patches of Jordan's...

As time goes by, UD will keep making Jordan jerseys and all his jersey cards AFTER his playing days will all be lumped into one pile...

What's the difference between Jordan's Jersey from say 06-07 Numbered 1/10 versus his coming soon Exquisite Infinite Refractor Parallel 1/5 patch auto coming out 2016-2017 season in the UD Forever collection?

Hands down, in the long run... the best cards of Jordan will be the cards issued while he was still active in the NBA.

I'm actually surprised people make such a big deal of sticker versus on card auto's, yet no one ever mentions cards issued during their playing days versus the eternity that comes AFTER they retire...

all i know is there are some really nice and rare mj cards that were made after he played