`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ot- nicest baseball players you have met? (and the not so nice)

dp

Best - Bo Jackson was cracking jokes and having fun.
Worst - Ron Cey was a complete jerk.

Miguel Montero, Mark Reynolds, Ross Ohlendorf and Micah Owings rank up there for the nicest guys i have met. Jamie D'antona is also one of the more approchable guys i have run across.

most of the encounters where i thought the guy was not very nice were pretty much the one and only time i ever tried with that guy so it could have been that they were just having a bad day. i guess im just saying i dont have enough to say they werent nice guys and i dont want to judge them on one encounter.

Nicest:
Micah Owings
Chris B. Young
Manny Ramirez
James Loney
Fernando Perez

Not-So Nice:
Michael Coleman
Stephen Drew
Vlad Guerrero

Nicest = Frank Thomas, Warren Spahn, Eddie George, Paul Byrd, Richie Sexson, Johnny Estrada, AJ Hawk, Mickey Mantle, Pete Rose, Clete Boyer, and DALE MURPHY. All (and I'm sure I'm forgetting a ton) I've had pleasurable experiences with other than just getting an auto and moving along.

Not Nicest = Jacob Cruz (seriously?), Bob Backlund (only because he tried to kill me), and Jim Brown.

Mark Grace more than lived up to my expectations when I got to meet him. Signed 5 things for me, chatted about raising boys (we both have two sons), gave me some dirt on Sosa, and was humorous and humble.

Reggie Jackson was a total *** when I met him at a smaller card show. Never looked up from the item he was signing, didn't say Hi or anything. I was using the men's room at the facility when his people came in and asked me to leave so that Reggie could use the room in private. Show promoter also told me he refused the rental car he had arranged for him to drive to and from the show and demanded something nicer.

kingofminors1 Wrote:Tony Gwynn will chat it up for a while if he's at a show. I went to a show once where if you paid for a Ripken auto, you also got 2-3 minutes of personal time to just chat with him and take pictures.

Back after Gabe Kapler won AA POY with Jacksonville (Tigers), I was at Spring Training waiting for autos after a game. As players came out people wpuld shout out their name and they'd sign. When Kapler came out, it was quiet. Nobody knew who he was. I did and asked him if he'd sign. When everyone realized who it was, they went running after him. He said he had to put his gear in his car and that he'd come back and sign. He put his gear in the car, walked through a crowd of people and came right up to me first (I didn't follow him), took the ball, actually asked me if I wanted it on the sweet spot (of course I did), and signed. He then saw my girlfriend, now wife, had a camera, put his arm around me, and said "you want to get a picture?" I still have the picture. Best experience I've ever had.
He is still that way. He always spoke to fans before games while he managed last year.

Nicest baseball player I have ever seen or met was Woody Williams. I was at a Padres ST game across the street from my office a few years ago. As the players leave the field there is a fence where people go to get autos. So I walked over with my little sister to see who was signing. Most of the players just walk by and ignore all the kids (and 40 year old virgins). But Woody Williams signed every autograph, took pictures with every kid, gave away his hat, his warm up jacket, his armbands, and even found a bat in the clubhouse to give to some kid. If more athletes were like Woody Williams, the sports world would be a better place....

EDIT:

As for worst. I ran into Reggie Jackson at a CAR (not card) Show in Orange County one year. He walked right by my uncle and was standing there looking at a car. My uncle pointed at him and said "kenny, you know who that is?" I looked up and really couldn't tell who the old bald black man with big guns was. As he said that's Reggie Jackson, Reggie basically sneared at him and said "Thanks for blowin my F#(*ing cover" and ran off...

bwackerlin Wrote:Mark Grace more than lived up to my expectations when I got to meet him. Signed 5 things for me, chatted about raising boys (we both have two sons), gave me some dirt on Sosa, and was humorous and humble.

Reggie Jackson was a total *** when I met him at a smaller card show. Never looked up from the item he was signing, didn't say Hi or anything. I was using the men's room at the facility when his people came in and asked me to leave so that Reggie could use the room in private. Show promoter also told me he refused the rental car he had arranged for him to drive to and from the show and demanded something nicer.
lol

By far Justin Morneau. Great guy, chatted, signed for us and even gave us gum and seeds. Class act.