`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The official BMB Error Variation discussion and reference thread!

The official BMB Error & Variation discussion and reference thread!
Can anyone confirm that all 1999 Nolan Ryan Topps cards (base issue) have a flipped back?

TNP777 Wrote:
scotty21690 Wrote:Scans aren't showing up:?
Stupid Comcast. Switched scans over to Photbucket, so they should show up now.
Very cool! I think I will now go for the 1989 Topps Ed Vandeberg front/Fred Lynn back!Smile Off to Ebay!

ok, I went through the dupes box one more time, which was worth it because for some reason I kept on passing the '92 Stadium Club A*/B*. That variation is now put to bed.

So now I'm wondering if I'm looking for stuff that ain't there. Have a look at '94 SP. I have a sampling of 10 Butler dupes, and five definitely have the hologram going one way, and five others have the holo rotated 90 degrees. BTW, I'm not talking about the actual hologram, but the details inside the holo. Am I nitpicking? I'm thinking so, but am totally willing to be convinced I've found something.

TNP777 Wrote:ok, I went through the dupes box one more time, which was worth it because for some reason I kept on passing the '92 Stadium Club A*/B*. That variation is now put to bed.

So now I'm wondering if I'm looking for stuff that ain't there. Have a look at '94 SP. I have a sampling of 10 Butler dupes, and five definitely have the hologram going one way, and five others have the holo rotated 90 degrees. BTW, I'm not talking about the actual hologram, but the details inside the holo. Am I nitpicking? I'm thinking so, but am totally willing to be convinced I've found something.
There is almost always a variation to be found among the 1980's-1990's stuff!

Are the 94 SPs two different hologram types? Are they reversed-negative? You may be on to something.

poptest Wrote:Hello, this is a great and informative thread. Anyone ever seen this error/variation before? This is from the 1997 Donruss Signature Baseball Platinum Press Proof Set. Heres the normal version:

[Image: 1998df.jpg]
Front

[Image: 1998db.jpg]
Back

Now for the error/variation:

[Image: 98alouvarfr.jpg]
Front

[Image: 98alouvar.jpg]
Back

The error being that the Alou doesn't have the Press Proof markings/stamping on the front. Looks just like a normal base till you look on the back and see the 1 of 150 print. I remember there being an article in Beckett mentioning this error/variation but I dont recall which edition. Hopefully someone here can shed some light on this.
So at first I thought this was just a "missed step in the foil process" type of thing but it looks as though the front did receive it's foil treatment-but it got the base card foil logo. Very interesting.

This is the first of this variation I have seen. I'd like to hear of any other examples of it. This would definitely affect many of the board members' PCs.

1992 is, in my mind, the unofficial "Year of Ridiculous Variations." I included large scans, as these can be tough to identify in smaller scans.

Stadium Club E* vs. F*
[Image: 1992StadiumClubBackVariation2.jpg]

[Image: 1992StadiumClubBackVariation.jpg]

Leaf "LEAF INC." vs. "LEAF INC"
[Image: 1992LeafVariation.jpg]

Donruss "LEAF INC." vs. "LEAF INC"
[Image: 1992DonrussBackVariation.jpg]

[Image: 1992DonrussBackVariation2.jpg]

Score Dream Team Reversed Backs
[Image: 1992Score883Variation.jpg]

Topps McDonald's * vs.**
[Image: 1992ToppsMcDonaldsVariation.jpg]

Sorry for the scan size - I wanted a higher dpi to see how much detail I could get. It doesn't look to me like there are different holos used, but like I said earlier, there are clearly (at least in my 10-card sampling) two distinct differences in the internal direction of the holo.

[Image: 94SPholos.jpg]

I was wondering if this is a uncorrected error or a actual error.Check the Career totals out on this Paul Byrd card.

[Image: Picture061.jpg]

Sorry if its already been mentioned, but what about 2000 Bowman card #304. On the Front it says Eric Byrnes and has his sig on the right, but its a picture of some black A's outfielder. The back of the card is Eric Byrnes', it has his correct b-day, 2/16/76, and the "Up close" part says: Of his full-tilt intensity, farm director Keith Lieppman says, "He is an animal". Definetely Eric Byrnes the OF for the D-backs. My question is, who is the random guy on the card?! The back even has a picture of the black guy.

jackson - do you have a scan of any of the '90 Bowman airbrushed cards you're talking about? You mentioned that the Giants were one of the teams that had more examples, and I'd like to get a look at what I should be looking for. I've got a decent stack of dupe Butlers and I don't see anything different about them.