`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The official BMB Error Variation discussion and reference thread!

The official BMB Error & Variation discussion and reference thread!
HawkHOF Wrote:
jacksoncoupage Wrote:[quote=radarblip]...and I have my own theory about the 1990 Topps Frank Thomas NNOF that didn't show up in the market until 1993)
This card has always left a bad taste with me, it is just a printing error akin to a blackless card. I first saw these late in 1990 when a dealer had three of them for $10 a piece. I thought that was too much back then (and really still do). People have said they show up in late Xmas sets, I don't know but I did see them in late 1990.

Another "error" card I have issue with is the 2002 Vintage #274 Home Run Leaders error. I think is way more common than reported. There were at least two different printers used to print the entire run of cards. You can tell the difference because the cards printed from one of them are a darker yellow. (Another something to look at for player collectors). I have pulled both variations from the same box and believe the error to be printed in equal quantity as the correct card. I guess it irks me because UD said this was corrected very early in the print run, obviously to get people to rip Vintage.
1990 is the earliest I have ever heard of these. 1992 I thought I remember seeing them mentioned in the pocket-size SCD annual guide but the first "official" mention of them seemed to be around 1993 (by the time Thomas had become an established superstar). But I agree that something still stinks with this card. Say some were distributed erroneously in packs (I have seen several 1990 Topps cards missing pieces of black ink) and a few collectors in 1990 pulled them. I still find it suspicious that come 1993ish, they are $1000 and well-known. It would be little surprise if some one at Topps hoarded these "printers waste"-type sheets they came on only have them cut and released into the hobby several years later. The myth about the Holliday sets has always sounded suspect to me too. Those sets sat at discounted prices for a few years after the fact, dealers stood to profit from the resulting sales of that rumor. This reminds me of the shops that have tried to sell me the 1990 UD Hi# sets claiming that's where the Mike Witt card can be found. It's a set that has little or no longterm value, nor mega-star RC and large quantities of them can still be found at most card shops today.

KillerBeeFan Wrote:Awesome thread ! Biggio is right in the middle of this and now I have an excuse to search through all those doubles I have.

Thanks for starting this thread; let's keep it going.

Phil

P.S.

I have a printing ink variation of Bidge -1999 Upper Deck (see below)

[Image: rawscan7.jpg]
My first thought is that these examples are minor printing-color variations. I know that they can be pretty significant sometimes and I always add them to my collections but I think we need more examples of other cards in this set before accepting them as a major variation. What is everyone else's take on these?

As far as the '90 Thomas card goes, we have seen recently that integrity falls to the wayside when profits are at stake.

The '99 UD color variation looks as thought the magenta is overpowering the cyan. The cyan ink may have been running low enough to cause this problem or perhaps the color was not as intence as it should have been. Color variations are always interesting.

Alright,

I can confirm for McGwire there is the '92 bowman gold crop delta. I can also confirm the '89 airbrushed card.

I also have another variation to note

1989 Topps All Star Commemorative have a * and ** variation on back.

jacksoncoupage Wrote:
KillerBeeFan Wrote:Awesome thread ! Biggio is right in the middle of this and now I have an excuse to search through all those doubles I have.

Thanks for starting this thread; let's keep it going.

Phil

P.S.

I have a printing ink variation of Bidge -1999 Upper Deck (see below)

[Image: rawscan7.jpg]
My first thought is that these examples are minor printing-color variations. I know that they can be pretty significant sometimes and I always add them to my collections but I think we need more examples of other cards in this set before accepting them as a major variation. What is everyone else's take on these?
On Monday I'll show you a spread of about 10-15 of the McGwires and I'll let you guys decide what you feel about the color differences. Theres multiple colors on the card and they all vary a bit...

1998 totally certified (own 4 of 5 I've seen)
1998 Select Certified

Both Never Procuced

[Image: 1998PinnacleTotallyCertifiedPlatinu.jpg]
[Image: 1998SelectJerseyNumbers-1.jpg]

Fandruw25 Wrote:1998 totally ceritified
1998 Select Cetiftied

Both Never Procuced

I'm still bitter about those. They are all (with the exception of the Quasar) 1/1's. I have 2 of the 3 mcgwire's and I missed the 3rd about a month ago....

onionring9 Wrote:
Fandruw25 Wrote:1998 totally ceritified
1998 Select Cetiftied

Both Never Procuced
I'm still bitter about those. They are all (with the exception of the Quasar) 1/1's. I have 2 of the 3 mcgwire's and I missed the 3rd about a month ago....
was mcgwire in the diamond set?

[Image: 1998SelectDiamondDominance.jpg]

Also have these, just mis cuts:
[Image: 1997UltraTop30GoldUncutErrorCard.jpg]
[Image: 1998PinnacleTotallyCertifiedPlat-1.jpg]

Fandruw25 Wrote:1998 totally certified
1998 Select Certified

Both Never Procuced

Do you have a source for the 1998 Select Certifieds? I have been chasing the Fullmer Certified/Parallels for years now. I own all 3 of the Select base that I have ever seen but none of the certified stuff.

Aside from being an amazingly interesting unreleased set, I don't know if there are enough samples to gauge variations from. It looks as though they made several different parallel sets.

Onionring:

I would love a scan on the 1989 Bowman McGwire if you can at some point. I am well-versed in 1990 but 89 changes would open up a new can of Bowman-flavored worms. Also, did you see the 1992 Leaf Black Gold "Silver" foil on ebay? I think it's in the ebay stores section. Several error enthusiasts used to email me wantlists that mentioned 1993 Leaf Gold Rookies "silver foil" variations. This sounds like a simple color issue but I was curious to hear your take.

sorry dont have scan will try to soon!!

have about 40 92 bowman delgado rc's, 2 have the same print spot on the top.

on to my palmer's!!!

1982 topps this set is messed up i have over 200. many have light black most have dark black, i have one blackless. have 2 that have white print spots on left middle that look like a light. also have two that have like a yellow tic tac doe board in the bottom stripe on the lower left corner.

1982 donruss have 2 that have purple border, compared to the normal blue.

1976 topps have one that is green and one that is blue, probably the biggest difference i have ever seen in color variations, look really cool next to each other.

1984 topps palmer front/johnny grubb back, grubb front/palmer back.

will be examining palmer's more in near future, especially all my o pee chee's!!!