`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Not to start the Rookie Card debate again, but...

Not to start the Rookie Card debate again, but...
I've been going through all of my cards recently and according to Beckett...

Christian Arroyo has 14 "rookie" cards in 2017 and 1 in 2018.

Tzu-Wei Lin has 2 rookies in 2017 and 2 in 2018.

I'm sure there are other instances, but that just seems silly.

The really interesting thing is that Arroyo card in Topps Gallery 2017 and 2018, but both are considered to be rookies apparently...?
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

RE: Not to start the Rookie Card debate again, but...
Both players were technically still classified as rookies in each year, well some of 2018 anyway, according to MLB standards. No idea how Beckett decided it for the trading card angle though, especially the Arroyo card as Topps Gallery was released in November in 2018 so it would seem odd to have that card labeled as a RC and none of his other 2018 cards that came out well beforehand are labeled as such.

(05-20-2022, 12:15 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: Both players were technically still classified as rookies in each year, well some of 2018 anyway, according to MLB standards.  No idea how Beckett decided it for the trading card angle though, especially the Arroyo card as Topps Gallery was released in November in 2018 so it would seem odd to have that card labeled as a RC and none of his other 2018 cards that came out well beforehand are labeled as such.
Regarding the latter part of your post, I agree.  How can some cards from a main release during a specific year be labeled as rookies and not others.

Regarding the first part, though...  How can a player be a rookie in two years according to MLB standards?  I thought there was a cut off (games played or at bats in a specific season) and then once a player exceeded that they are no longer considered "rookies".

Arroyo has only played more than 50 games once since 2017, so according to the MLB standards he'd be a rookie in three different years?

Lin has never played more than 40 games in a season, but he's played in MLB games for 5 years. Every year is a rookie year?

Sounds like they need to adjust the criteria for that.
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

(05-21-2022, 10:08 AM)hempick Wrote: Regarding the first part, though...  How can a player be a rookie in two years according to MLB standards?  I thought there was a cut off (games played or at bats in a specific season) and then once a player exceeded that they are no longer considered "rookies".
I just copied and pasted from the article linked at the bottom.

"According to MLB rules, a player is considered a rookie unless he has exceeded one of three potential thresholds in any previous season or seasons. Those are: 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched at the MLB level, or 45 total days on an active MLB roster prior to Sept. 1."

They did make an adjustment for the 2020 season though and that is in the article.  It's rather interesting and I was unaware of that change until I just read this.

https://www.mlb.com/news/players-to-rece...in-2-years

Usually a player has a card labeled RC in 2 different years BC topps screwed up and gave a card in the second year a RC logo even though they should not have. An Beckett just copied it off the checklist they got from Topps. A player according to the deal between topps and MLB can only have a RC in 1 year.

I don't know if you saw my thread in the hockey forums a few weeks back, but the same thing happened with Michael Bunting of the Maple Leafs ... he had a "Young Guns" rookie card in 2020-21 with the Arizona Coyotes but also had a "Young Guns Canvas" card in the 2021-22 set.

Weird.

I must be tired...I am seeing hockey conversation on the Baseball Forum. (Yawn)

(05-21-2022, 03:08 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: "According to MLB rules, a player is considered a rookie unless he has exceeded one of three potential thresholds in any previous season or seasons. Those are: 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched at the MLB level, or 45 total days on an active MLB roster prior to Sept. 1."

https://www.mlb.com/news/players-to-rece...in-2-years
Thanks for sharing this with the group.  I have left this debate/discussion and now just care about the cards themselves.  If it has logo's or not is decided by the MLB players association - so I'm going with that.  If I ever sell cards, I will mention "RC Logo"  and move on.

As for hockey, like football and basketball, I love the sports, just don't care about their cards.  To each their own.......
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

(10-20-2022, 06:31 AM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: Thanks for sharing this with the group.  I have left this debate/discussion and now just care about the cards themselves.  If it has logo's or not is decided by the MLB players association - so I'm going with that.  If I ever sell cards, I will mention "RC Logo"  and move on.

As for hockey, like football and basketball, I love the sports, just don't care about their cards.  To each their own.......
That's pretty much my mindset on the whole thing.  I'm not going to get worked up about it because I don't care enough anyway.

I like all those sports as well but, like you, don't care about the cards.  I did collect basketball back in the early 90s and some football here and there about 10 years ago.  Never got into hockey cards at all. 

Prefer college basketball to pro basketball by a wide margin.  Even going to games, college has a much better atmosphere to it.  At least the games I've been to.  Football is fun to watch but it's usually something on the television in the background while I'm doing other things around the house.  I have a hard time sitting there watching a full game from start to finish.  Been to one game in person and that's all I really needed in my life though it might be two games soon as my son would like to head up to Baltimore to see the Ravens play.  I don't watch hockey on television except maybe a few playoff games.  Going to hockey games is a blast though.  Always such a great time in my experiences.

(10-20-2022, 06:31 AM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: Thanks for sharing this with the group.  I have left this debate/discussion and now just care about the cards themselves.  If it has logo's or not is decided by the MLB players association - so I'm going with that.  If I ever sell cards, I will mention "RC Logo"  and move on.

Exactly.

If there is one sport's cards I could easily move on from and most likely will, it will be baseball.

Besides all the shenanigans with Bowman's "prospect numbering to evade the MLB rookie card rules" and the RC/RC*/[RC*]/[RC logo*] crap, the Tigers have sucked out loud for years and the Angels can't figure out how to put a team around Trout and Ohtani.

Since those are pretty much the only teams I follow, these days baseball elicits more yawns from me than a hockey post does for Kerry.

No other sports league, for example, would let its teams operate like the Oakland A's and the Pittsburgh Pirates ... it's just embarrassing.

Not to mention fairly frequent shenanigans like 60-game seasons, plus the fact that "superstars" like Tatis are STILL getting popped for PEDs as recently as * checks notes * this season, it's laughable why MLB can't figure out how to draw new fans.