`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Complete Sets Keep together or seperate

Complete Sets Keep together or seperate
I have a few boxes of topps series 1 and 2 2021 complete sets one set with gold star parallels. Is it best to keep everything together in the original box or do I pull the decent cards and leave everything else in the box or do I just get rid of the box and keep the good cards and store the rest in a different container. I know with other collectibles original boxes are big thing.

RE: Complete Sets Keep together or seperate
It seems that complete sealed sets are the top $$ after years..depends on the set and the players..etc  

Removing the cards that have the highest value and selling; leaving the rest as commons is immediate return, and sometimes the common cards are $$ after years.

Sell the set or break up is always the conundrum. 

As many opinions as collectors it seems.

If you've already opened them, it probably comes down to personal preference because much of the value is in the fact that it's sealed.

For things like the gold star parallel set, once you've opened and pulled the cards you want to keep, you could pretty easily move them as team sets/lots. The non-parallel sets will probably be tougher to move though.
Kepler

(05-04-2022, 02:27 PM)jaredhuizenga Wrote: If you've already opened them, it probably comes down to personal preference because much of the value is in the fact that it's sealed.

For things like the gold star parallel set, once you've opened and pulled the cards you want to keep, you could pretty easily move them as team sets/lots. The non-parallel sets will probably be tougher to move though.
+1.  Agree with this take.
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

As an irredeemable set builder I would be LOATH to break up a set. The only question I have is whether to keep it in a factory box or 3-ring binder. Sets that are divisible by 9 automatically go into binders.

Factory sets...I would leave intact if still wrapped in original cellophane. I recently decided to break up Bowman Draft Refractor complete sets that I acquired over several years by using several methods. Whatever you can do and still sleep at night!

If it is a factory set, leave it sealed. If it is a factory set with parallels and you want to get the parallels, once you open the set, it's value as a factory sealed set is lgone (even if the shrinkwrap is damaged, it's value is gone) - you then might as well pull the good cards and break up the set once opened because nobody is going to buy a factory set when they are not sure the good cards will be there.

If you haven't opened it - keep it intact, it will be worth more in the future.

if it has been opened i prefer putting the set in a binder and getting key cards graded and overtime replacing them with lower grade versions just to have in binder without worrying about if they get messed up in binder .