`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DeGrom RC tanked?

DeGrom RC tanked?
So I got back into collecting last summer. At some point in the fall, I realized I had bought my kids some cards a few years ago hoping it would spur an interest.  Instead, the cards just sat in a box. I looked through the cards and found a deGrom RC that I swear was $100.  I noticed last night that it's now $40.  

I understand he's currently injured.  I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on what else may have happened that led to his RC value tanking?

RE: DeGrom RC tanked?
My guess is when you saw the $100, it was probably around a time where he was pitching like an absolute beast so the demand was higher, thus a higher value.  Once the shiny period passed and people got out of their hype phase, demand came back down some.

Which card is it by the way?  That could also help understand the large drop.

(04-14-2022, 09:22 AM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: My guess is when you saw the $100, it was probably around a time where he was pitching like an absolute beast so the demand was higher, thus a higher value.  Once the shiny period passed and people got out of their hype phase, demand came back down some.

Which card is it by the way?  That could also help understand the large drop.
2014 Topps Update #US57

(04-14-2022, 09:22 AM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: My guess is when you saw the $100, it was probably around a time where he was pitching like an absolute beast so the demand was higher, thus a higher value.  Once the shiny period passed and people got out of their hype phase, demand came back down some.
100%
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

(04-14-2022, 09:37 AM)mizzouman_2000@hotmai Wrote: 2014 Topps Update #US57
Looking at his other RC's my guess is this one, though desirable, is likely the least desirable out of all of them.  On top of that, and I really don't know, but he may have something from the Bowman line of cards that came out previously which are usually always desired more than the RC issued version.

Combine that with what I said above about the hype and his high pitching performance at the time, and this is probably a safe explanation for the reasoning.

The drop was very recent. I traded for this card in March and it was showing $100 in the guide but $40 in trades. Happened just before Spring Training started for all his RC's and parallels.

(04-14-2022, 10:29 AM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: Looking at his other RC's my guess is this one, though desirable, is likely the least desirable out of all of them.  On top of that, and I really don't know, but he may have something from the Bowman line of cards that came out previously which are usually always desired more than the RC issued version.

Combine that with what I said above about the hype and his high pitching performance at the time, and this is probably a safe explanation for the reasoning.
His Bowman dropped too, by around 50%+ to only $20
Super collector of Matt Harvey

Well kind of hard to be a great if you can’t stay on the field.

(04-14-2022, 04:16 PM)buckles2335 Wrote: Well kind of hard to be a great if you can’t stay on the field.
And hard to keep up the hype. 
In general, I found pitchers to have the most volatile pricing compared to any other position player. 
They can go from Cy Young to sayonara in a heartbeat.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.