`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Paper vs Chrome Question

Paper vs Chrome Question
Why are the Topps or Bowman paper RC sometimes valued more than the Chrome version of the same RC?  Is it always an error by Beckett, or is there some explanation that one of you baseball card enthusiasts would care to enlighten me?

For example, 2021 Topps Alec Bohm paper version is valued 3 times more than the chrome version.

RE: Paper vs Chrome Question
Donruss is the same. Could never figure out why.

I'm guessing but could it be that the paper version is the first one issued and then the Chrome is just a Chrome version of his rookie card?
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

(01-24-2022, 03:50 PM)zeprock Wrote: I'm guessing but could it be that the paper version is the first one issued and then the Chrome is just a Chrome version of his rookie card?
That did occur to me as a possible reason, but then that should also affect other products that come out later in the year as a RC but are often valued higher than earlier RCs (Topps Gold Label, Inception, Finest, Opening Day, etc.)

The purist like the original paper-like cards and the newbs like chrome..old people have more $$ and push the price of the paper original higher..just a thought..probably off base..but I know some older collectors that think Topps Chrome and Bowman chrome are redundant and a rip off on the real RCs..

Personally..I like chrome and the colors and refractors and the the chase..and I am a real old guy!!

(01-24-2022, 05:45 PM)bonds20001 Wrote: Personally..I like chrome and the colors and refractors and the the chase..and I am a real old guy!!
I am with you on that one.  I would actually prefer a refractor auto 1 of 1 by Kirby Puckett or Ken Griffey than a 1952 Bowman of Mickey Mantle (assuming I was not allowed to sell it).

All of these are nice reasons, but I don't think any are the case. I fall on the side of it being an example of poor pricing by Beckett. I follow the Bowman market pretty closely as it is basically all I buy of modern cards. And I am 100% confident that the chrome version of the cards will ALWAYS sell for a higher average price than the paper version in the same condition.

(01-25-2022, 07:56 AM)PhoenixRisen Wrote: All of these are nice reasons, but I don't think any are the case. I fall on the side of it being an example of poor pricing by Beckett. I follow the Bowman market pretty closely as it is basically all I buy of modern cards. And I am 100% confident that the chrome version of the cards will ALWAYS sell for a higher average price than the paper version in the same condition.
I agree- and I also think this applies to football. The price guide had the Donruss Mahomes RC as lower than the Optic counterpart for a long time and eventually updated it. But when I looked at sale prices the Optic was always higher for a similar condition card.

I think PhoenixRisen is correct. The Chrome pricing is lagging significantly behind the paper pricing, and will eventually be updated.

The 2021 Alec Bohm Chrome went down in price while the paper held steady. That is a different scenario but still part of the overall problem.