`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When were penny sleeves invented? When did they become commonplace?

RE: When were penny sleeves invented? When did they become commonplace?
(01-21-2022, 08:12 AM)zeprock Wrote: I believe the "traditional card sleeves" they refer to were the hard plastic top-loaders which came first.
I don't. Because like I said, I 100% had sleeves before deck protectors came out. And deck protectors were slightly different from penny sleeves. Soft plastic card sleeves existed long before the 90s.

Just passing along what I read on the internet.

I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

Well I know they were around in the early 90s because I started collecting around 1992 and I remember them being a thing then. I was just curious how much earlier they were around than that. Thanks for all of the answers/thoughts so far!
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

I started collecting in 1989, and I had endless amounts of these penny sleeves, and I don't ever recall them being "something new" so I believe they were around long before I started collecting in 1989. I would guess in the mid-late 80s when the demand for cards went up, and the mass-production junk wax era started.

From the very first time I walked into the long-since-closed local LCS in 1987, every star and semi-star card was in a penny sleeve with all cards above $5 being in a penny sleeve, top loader and in a locked display case. The higher valued cards were in a 2-piece snap-together hard case. The only cards not sleeved were the commons, which were housed in 5000-ct monster boxes with one set and year per box. It was an excellent and efficient system that is sorely missed.
Collecting Robin Yount, Brewers Topps parallels, Brewers autos and Jonathan Lucroy in a Brewers uni.

Lucroy Brewers Collection : 589/596 non 1/1's (98.8%) and 65 1/1's