`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Why Do People Do This On Redemptions?

RE: Why Do People Do This On Redemptions?
I have done over 50 breaks with SportsBoxBreaks. They give you every card of the team you purchased, and if you don't get a hit they send a pack of cards along with any base/parallels of your team. All is televised and recorded on YouTube and 3 other video platforms. Yes, it is a form of gambling, and I am in the hole by about $600 after all these breaks.

So, I stopped last Spring. But, they are fun and exciting to do.

(01-18-2022, 03:07 PM)floydtown Wrote: Maybe some of you had bad experiences with breakers? Online breaks are here to stay, My breaker has a website and a automatic draft system -you set your team preferences in whatever order you want and then it randomizes when that break is full automatically. Breaks are always live and backed up in 2 places to watch later if you can't watch it live. Break spots always fill in the sell time allotted same day. 
Panini reps stop by as guest breakers every once in awhile and he does kids breaks and regular breaks at the NSCC. Even has rookies break product live as well at Panini/NFLPA events. Beckett did an article on top 50 breakers in the US awhile back.
FB breaks and especially not live breaks I don't do.
No way I could afford to buy a box of high end product so buying a random spot in a Flawless box or NT is way cheaper. Sell what you don't want to keep or trade away.
I have used the same breaker for at least 5 years.  Have never had an issue nor heard/identified shinanagens.  Only participate in non-random team breaks for the PC.  Cheaper than buying boxes that will contain cards that I do not care about.  Know it's "gambling" but isn't everything re packs/boxes opening.
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

(01-18-2022, 05:31 PM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: I have used the same breaker for at least 5 years.  Have never had an issue nor heard/identified shinanagens.  Only participate in non-random team breaks for the PC.  Cheaper than buying boxes that will contain cards that I do not care about.  Know it's "gambling" but isn't everything re packs/boxes opening.
I fully understand buying individual teams when you are getting the individual team you collect and everything pulled will be something you want - assuming the breaker is honest (not guaranteed, unfortunately) that is a win-win for everyone involved - everyone gets cards from the team they want for a lower price than the box and the breaker makes a bit of money for the service.

But I don't understand why you'd buy into a random box.  If I buy into a football break and get Dallas I'm not going to be at all happy as an Eagles fan - I don't want to get Dallas cards.  If you do that, you might as well just buy a box yourself.

and I don't at all understand any sort of breaking or buying boxes with a goal of making money and flipping.

(01-18-2022, 06:25 PM)ZSDOne Wrote: I fully understand buying individual teams when you are getting the individual team you collect and everything pulled will be something you want - assuming the breaker is honest (not guaranteed, unfortunately) that is a win-win for everyone involved - everyone gets cards from the team they want for a lower price than the box and the breaker makes a bit of money for the service.

But I don't understand why you'd buy into a random box.  If I buy into a football break and get Dallas I'm not going to be at all happy as an Eagles fan - I don't want to get Dallas cards.  If you do that, you might as well just buy a box yourself.

and I don't at all understand any sort of breaking or buying boxes with a goal of making money and flipping.
Except maybe you can't afford an entire box or case of high end product yourself.

Let's not pretend that all buying of cards by the box/pack isn't gambling. It's all gambling. This is just a way to do it in high end products that you may not otherwise get to do it with.

Most people getting into random team breaks are doing so to sell the cards they receive to help fund more of what they do collect. Or some people don't have a specific team/player they collect and just want good cards of any team. So random team breaks work for those people. I personally collect a specific team so only get in "pick your team" breaks. But certainly understand those who do random team breaks as well.

LOL, not quite sure how this turned into a debate on breaks.

(01-17-2022, 06:12 PM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: Matter of fact....yes I do,  I collect them....LOL.  You never know when something at some time may have some value.  How about having an IP Mike Trout auto on a redemption - send it to PSA, get it authenticated and graded.  No different then an autographed baseball.  Was just coming to the help of a fellow member - you were all ganging up on him.  You should all check yourselves. No bullying in the hobby!!!!  LOL
Joseph my Broseph, I appreciate it very much.

After carefully weighing all these thoughts and opinions, the verdict is in.

It’s still lame.

(01-18-2022, 06:25 PM)ZSDOne Wrote: I fully understand buying individual teams when you are getting the individual team you collect and everything pulled will be something you want - assuming the breaker is honest (not guaranteed, unfortunately) that is a win-win for everyone involved - everyone gets cards from the team they want for a lower price than the box and the breaker makes a bit of money for the service.

Correct. If ever there was a year I’d buy a Lions spot, it would be this year with all the Sewell and St. Brown stuff.

But even, with hobby dooshery still at near peak levels, I will continue to pass.

(01-19-2022, 03:16 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: LOL, not quite sure how this turned into a debate on breaks.
That's how we roll....falling into the rabbit holes that are the hobby!  Question was asked, and we all gave our answers and opinions which lead to other questions /thoughts.  At least I know now why people scribble on their redemptions.
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

I started out buying only retail and had great success and a whole lotta fun. Eventually I started buying boxes & cases and did okay, but all in all got a whole lotta nothing for my efforts & money. I then started participating in case breaks several years ago (2017?) and for a 6 months or so probably spent about the same amount of money and got some really great cards (no redemptions) ... at first, (beginners luck?) then the tide turned and I started to get skunked (got nothing) more often than not. It’s all a big gamble, but it’s better to get some cards than nothing at all. So I went back to retail. (Until the pandemic hit ... but that’s another story)
Anyway ....
“Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose and sometimes it rains. “
Baseball cards, am I right?
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

I remember when I first started buying packs at Tom Thumb gas stations and walmart blasters. Years later I found a hobby shop tucked inside some retail outlets (didn't know what that was) and saw the prices on boxes and told them I can get that at walmart for $20 . They looked at me stupid, didn't say anything and I left. lol
Boy, I sure have learned a lot since then.
Beckett.Moderator.Floydtown@gmail.com
TOS

[Image: florida-gators.gif]
U.S. Army-Retired
Member since 10-04-1997 (#113)