`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
What did Cal Ripken do wrong?

RE: What did Cal Ripken do wrong?
(01-15-2022, 07:35 AM)PhoenixRisen Wrote: I'd guess Beckett is just correcting really old values they haven't changed in years. I regularly notice that Beckett prices from the 90s and 00s have clearly not been updated in many years. For instance Mark McGwire is still the most valuable insert listed in most 90s insert sets and Griffey is way down the list. So I bet they are going back and updating very old prices and just happened to do Ripken's all at once.
That would make sense if his recent cards did not drop, which they did all the way up to 2021 cards.

(01-15-2022, 09:04 AM)kerryandbeth Wrote: That would make sense if his recent cards did not drop, which they did all the way up to 2021 cards.
I can't begin to figure out Beckett pricing. I noticed yesterday that Craig Biggio rookies in 89 Topps are more valuable than Randy Johnson (at least in the Almanac). Not sure that's an accurate reflection of the hobby. I just can't trust Beckett pricing, and haven't in the past 25 years. It was the bible of pricing in the 80s/90s, but now it's to the point when someone pulls out a Beckett to price a card I want, I usually just walk away.

(01-18-2022, 08:39 AM)PhoenixRisen Wrote: I can't begin to figure out Beckett pricing. I noticed yesterday that Craig Biggio rookies in 89 Topps are more valuable than Randy Johnson (at least in the Almanac). Not sure that's an accurate reflection of the hobby. I just can't trust Beckett pricing, and haven't in the past 25 years. It was the bible of pricing in the 80s/90s, but now it's to the point when someone pulls out a Beckett to price a card I want, I usually just walk away.
A sad truth.

in the past 4 years that went up in value was Griffey, and Piazza, Thomas, that is not counting the rookie cards
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

(01-18-2022, 09:28 AM)waynetalger Wrote: in the past 4 years that went up in value was Griffey, and Piazza, Thomas, that is not counting the rookie cards
aka clean sluggers