`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pink-topped 1990-91 Score hockey cards

Pink-topped 1990-91 Score hockey cards
Has anyone else seen 1990-91 Score hockey cards where the top third is pink instead of white?  I picked up 2 about 20 years ago - 1 Gretzky and 2 Lemieux - and thought they were just an odd printing freak; then I came across another one a few years ago - 4 Neely.  Was just wondering if this may have been some kind of test issue, and a few made it out into the market?

RE: Pink-topped 1990-91 Score hockey cards
No idea but this sounds interesting.

There were 2 types of cards that were produced that year. US and Canadian Version. Not sure which one you're referring too. Might help you in finding out what you're looking for.

(09-04-2021, 12:35 PM)pfr1685@cox.net Wrote: Has anyone else seen 1990-91 Score hockey cards where the top third is pink instead of white?  I picked up 2 about 20 years ago - 1 Gretzky and 2 Lemieux - and thought they were just an odd printing freak; then I came across another one a few years ago - 4 Neely.  Was just wondering if this may have been some kind of test issue, and a few made it out into the market?
Do you have a scan you can share? The top of these cards were red, so are you talking about the red being replaced as pink (I've seen sun-faded cards like this). Or are you saying there is an additional like of pink at the top. I've seen pink print registration lines before where they line up the cuts, but that usually just indicates a mis-cut card and these usually run by the box or case.
Current Project #1 - 2022-23 O-Pee-Chee Base Set (520/600)
Current Project #2 - 2022-23 O-Pee-Chee Playing Card Set (49/54)

Current Most Wanted - 1991-92 Upper Deck #587 Nicklas Lidstrom YG PSA 10 Incoming

Unfortunately, I'm not able to add attachments. This isn't something where the top 1/8 inch of the card is red instead of pink; about the entire top 1/3 of the card is pink.

As some one who works around the printing business, that sounds like a printing issue. They did not throw out the first cards printed in a new print run. Always see things like this then.

(10-07-2021, 09:36 PM)hckydv7 Wrote: As some one who works around the printing business, that  sounds like a printing issue. They did not throw out the first cards printed in a new print run. Always see things like this then.
Thanks for the info!  So these could have been from the very first sheet through the printer, such as if an abundance of ink had collected and got "smeared" on the first sheet until it was exhausted about 1/4 down the card?  It would also seem to indicate that it's likely that Score put the cards in numbered order on their sheet (since cards 1, 2, and 4 are the only ones I have seen that had this issue).