`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's up with Hockey Pricing.

What's up with Hockey Pricing.
Why hasn't hockey cards pricing moving up? Baseball and Basketball are flying but hockey, which is in Playoff mode, 
not budging at all.

RE: What's up with Hockey Pricing.
(06-09-2021, 05:23 PM)Simpleton Wrote: Why hasn't hockey cards pricing moving up? Baseball and Basketball are flying but hockey, which is in Playoff mode, 
not budging at all.

It's pretty simple... People aren't paying more for hockey. Well, most hockey. If you have a PSA 10 OPC Gretzky RC, people are paying a lot for that. They will even pay quite a bit for partial ownership in a PSA 10 Topps Gretzky RC.

But if all you have are YGs, they still sell for the same as last week/month/year. Wink
Current Project #1 - 2022-23 O-Pee-Chee Base Set (520/600)
Current Project #2 - 2022-23 O-Pee-Chee Playing Card Set (49/54)

Current Most Wanted - 1991-92 Upper Deck #587 Nicklas Lidstrom YG PSA 10 Incoming

Not sure i agree with that. I find that Hockey is just not as popular as Any other sport then in Canada. You take Guerrero Jr. Cards that aren't even moving at all even though he is leading in many areas and that's because he is playing for a Canadian Team. The Blue Jays never get any respect in this sport when it comes to Sportscards. Believe me, if He was playing for the Yankee's he would be getting a lot more respect.

(06-10-2021, 07:57 AM)Simpleton Wrote: Not sure i agree with that. I find that Hockey is just not as popular as Any other sport then in Canada. You take Guerrero Jr. Cards that aren't even moving at all even though he is leading in many areas and that's because he is playing for a Canadian Team. The Blue Jays never get any respect in this sport when it comes to Sportscards. Believe me, if He was playing for the Yankee's he would be getting a lot more respect.

I guess I don't understand. You said baseball was doing well, but Vlad Guerrero isn't... Yet you don't agree with me that people aren't paying more for hockey cards?

It's pretty well known that Hockey cards are behind all other major sports, including Soccer, based on ebay sales volume. The two top current players (highest $ value YGs) are both in Canadian markets, Matthews and McDavid, and they both have not dropped (they haven't risen like similar basketball or baseball stars, of course).

You could go into an economic discussion about the strength of the CAD vs USD, but I think a lot of it, as you pointed out, is that hockey isn't as popular in several major card markets (namely, Asia where basketball reigns and the US where it competes with basketball, football, and the ever present baseball).
Current Project #1 - 2022-23 O-Pee-Chee Base Set (520/600)
Current Project #2 - 2022-23 O-Pee-Chee Playing Card Set (49/54)

Current Most Wanted - 1991-92 Upper Deck #587 Nicklas Lidstrom YG PSA 10 Incoming

I agree and I think Hockey is behind other sports when it comes to pricing. Though over the past year and a half I think we've seen faster movement on some stuff if a guy has a big night ("investment" dollars, etc), and of course the big cards have seen jumps, but overall it isn't exploding, especially for the majority of the new rookie cards out there.

Hello all,
I have been collecting for 30+ years, and just found out I could sell here on Beckett. I have no interest in trading, just selling off the collection as the kids are all getting older and getting married, the wife wants to travel more etc. These things are expensive. I have cards and sets from all 4 major sports, dating back to the early 50s, signatures, jersey, stick, patch cards, etc. some graded, some not. 1000s and 1000s of cards. I've sold 13 of my 14 Gretzky rookies on ebay, 3 of my 4 Orr rookies and similar to other posts I have read here, was disgusted with the high commission ebay charges. I've paid them thousands, very fruatrating.
My question is this, when I search Gretzky rookie card here on Beckett, I get zero results. I have several cards that should fetch $1000s per, Gretzkys, Lemieuxs, Bryants, Mantles, older rookies, etc., but after a 5 minute search, I couldn't find any cards worth more than $400. Am I looking in the wrong place, or is Beckett not the platform to sell higher end cards? 
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I do not want to use ebay, if there is a better option.

How can Kaprizov be down to $125 and Lafreniere is still $200?  When Kaprizov is 10 times the player that Lafreniere is!!!   Angry

(08-03-2021, 02:13 AM)Burnuts84@gmail.com Wrote: How can Kaprizov be down to $125 and Lafreniere is still $200?  When Kaprizov is 10 times the player that Lafreniere is!!!   Angry
Laffy still has the # 1 Draft Pick hype going for him (plus he's Canadian and he's on a notable team like the Rangers). He always will unless he totally tanks.

(08-04-2021, 06:10 PM)creasecollector Wrote: Laffy still has the # 1 Draft Pick hype going for him (plus he's Canadian and he's on a notable team like the Rangers). He always will unless he totally tanks.
Or it's because Lafrenière is 4 years younger than Kaprizov and that's a huge difference...