`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Have Seen the Future of Card "Collecting"

RE: I Have Seen the Future of Card "Collecting"
ZSDOne Wrote:Stopped by the LCS to get some supplies and for less than half the price of a new low end hobby box, I got more than a dozen vintage cards - mostly Eagles from the 1950s - including a big item for my Eagles collection - a Sonny Jurgensen rookie card.  I also got a couple of other Hall of Fame cards - Gayle Sayers, Tommy McDonald, and Broadway Joe

Let the investors pay $800 for Optic hobby boxes, they can't ruin all of my fun collecting.
Great point. I'm strongly considering getting into vintage football and basketball.

Would be great to pick up some of the 1980s RCs I don't have ... Marino, Montana, Rice, etc.

rjcj2017 Wrote:Great point. I'm strongly considering getting into vintage football and basketball.

Would be great to pick up some of the 1980s RCs I don't have ... Marino, Montana, Rice, etc.
I love the old card designs - and the 1950s to 1970s cards are relatively affordable - unless you get super high graded stuff (which unfortunately, there is a good chance was trimmed) or a few rookie cards of the most legendary players - and even if it is just a common player, many of the card designs are so great that it's still much cooler than what is being made today.

My parents found the box where all of my football cards (as well as some more baseball, Garbage Pail Kids, basketball, and wrestling cards which I ldon't even remember buying) from the 1980s are in - I'm hoping that there are some good stuff in there (there wouldn't be a Montana, since I don't think I got any football cards in 1981), but Marino and Rice are quite possible - but even if there is nothing good in there, I am still looking forward to seeing what is in there.

And you'll be paying less for a Montana, Marino, and Rice rookies (and several other Hall of Famers) combined than people are paying for Patrick Mahomes base Prizm rookies - LOL.

ZSDOne Wrote:I love the old card designs - and the 1950s to 1970s cards are relatively affordable - unless you get super high graded stuff (which unfortunately, there is a good chance was trimmed) or a few rookie cards of the most legendary players - and even if it is just a common player, many of the card designs are so great that it's still much cooler than what is being made today.

My parents found the box where all of my football cards (as well as some more baseball, Garbage Pail Kids, basketball, and wrestling cards which I ldon't even remember buying) from the 1980s are in - I'm hoping that there are some good stuff in there (there wouldn't be a Montana, since I don't think I got any football cards in 1981), but Marino and Rice are quite possible - but even if there is nothing good in there, I am still looking forward to seeing what is in there.

And you'll be paying less for a Montana, Marino, and Rice rookies (and several other Hall of Famers) combined than people are paying for Patrick Mahomes base Prizm rookies - LOL.
Agreed. The grading doesn't matter to me, either ... because I have eyes.

rjcj2017 Wrote:Agreed. The grading doesn't matter to me, either ... because I have eyes.
I got a graded Yale Lary Philadelphia Card from sometime in the 1960s - its PSA 7, but it honestly looks perfect to me (my guess is that it might be a 7 due to surface)

I also don't bother looking at value - I always just ask "is this card at a price I am willing to pay"?

ZSDOne Wrote:I got a graded Yale Lary Philadelphia Card from sometime in the 1960s - its PSA 7, but it honestly looks perfect to me (my guess is that it might be a 7 due to surface)

I also don't bother looking at value - I always just ask "is this card at a price I am willing to pay"?
Exactly. That's literally the definition of value, a concept unbeknownst to the internet breakers and new collectors.

I don't know if you saw my other thread in basketball regarding NBA Hoops, but upon release two days ago our main man Tyrese Haliburton's RCs were listed for $50.

For an NBA Hoops base card.

Magically, 48 hours later, you can find them for $25.

So I'll wait another 2-3 weeks and get mine for $10 shipped once people wake the h-ll up and realize it's NBA Hoops.

Want an even more ludicrous example?

The LaMelo Ball RCs were listed for $125+ on release two days ago ... for an NBA Hoops base card.

BUT - 48 hours later, you can find them for the low low price of $50.

Ball will be a $15 card in about two weeks.

This hobby continues to spiral straight into the toilet.