`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Card insurance

RE: Card insurance
Phillies_Joe Wrote:Up the insurance for the replacement value of the contents under your insurance policy and have a water/fire  proof safe for high value cards.  Take pictures of your cards / anything with high value.
We had a fire a couple of years ago (no cards were damaged as they were in the basement in boxes and off the floor) that pretty much ruined / destroyed everything we had.  Our adjuster did a great job with getting us "full replacement value" on the contents, but it was still only the amount up to the the value of our insurance.
Make sure that you have pictures!!!!

I forgot about Joe’s ‘real life’ insurance encounter. There were many companies advertising cheaper rates down where I live after some Hurricanes jacked up all the premiums. So, I asked my agent “Hey Jake, from State Farm, Tower Insurance is charging half of what your premium is ... can you do better?” And that’s when I learned the difference of replacement vs actual value. Unless you have a fire a week after you just refurnished, everything you own is  depreciated on a yearly basis and with actual value, you only get a prorated value for damages. Replacement value gives you a current value to replace a ‘like’ item. So, if you have a PSA 7.0 1954 Topps Mantle destroyed in a fire, and you have a pic and documentation, if it costs $2000 to replace it, that’s what you get from State Farm, even if at the time of purchase it was only $500.
For a little more per year, you can increase the Content of Home to $300K  ... and State Farm is legit. Some other insurances are happy to take your premium, but make you jump through hoops to collect on a loss.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

DrMitchJ Wrote: And that’s when I learned the difference of replacement vs actual value. For a little more per year, you can increase the Content of Home to $300K and State Farm is legit. Some other insurances are happy to take your premium, but make you jump through hoops to collect on a loss.
 +5000.  State Farm was awesome for us.  I do not own any high end cards and/or collectables that are not in a safe or lock deposit box.  Make sure you have pictures!!!!!
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

Check out in the BGS subforum further down the page. Mod Jeff frequently posts there in regards to his collector's insurance and is a fountain of knowledge for this topic.
Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas

Hobby instagram

Interesting topic. I don't have insurance but am thinking about getting it. Some of my high end cards are 1/1's, #50 or less etc... Thank you Phillies_Joe for the tibid of info on taking pics of those types of cards.
Looking for 2011-2016 Gypsy Queen Mini's. Please check my want list. Also, must send FIRST!

Top wants! 2015 Topps Gypsy Queen Mini Silver #221 Jean Segura, #273 Allen Craig, #293 Danny Salazar, #310 Al Kaline SP, #319 Reggie Jackson SP

Well, my collection is valued at around 120.000 bucks actually, however I haven't yet insured it. I have been thinking about it for a while, but I was thinking that there would not be any single company that would actually be likely to insure some cards. However, recently I have found out that my health insurance company actually offer life insurance and I got really interested in it. I think that it is a must have. I have read a lot of useful information about it on https://www.lifeinsuranceblog.net/life-i...ut-amount/ and I have even found out how to calculate the average payouts. I will fill in for life insurance as soon as it is possible.

(03-29-2021, 04:57 PM)Ayanami Wrote: Well, my collection is valued at around 120.000 bucks actually, however I haven't yet insured it. I have been thinking about it for a while, but I was thinking that there would not be any single company that would actually be likely to insure some cards. However, recently I have found out that my health insurance company actually offer life insurance and I got really interested in it. I think that it is a must have. I have read a lot of useful information about it on https://www.lifeinsuranceblog.net/life-i...ut-amount/ and I have even found out how to calculate the average payouts. I will fill in for life insurance as soon as it is possible.
Wow, 120.000 bucks... that is pretty much dude