`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Little Holiday Joy - Day 3

A Little Holiday Joy - Day 3
The card I had first pulled for today's post will show up later. As a Red Wings fan, I didn't want to do back-to-back Boston Bruins...

So, I'm a set collector first and foremost and never saw a point to 'team' collecting. Until In The Game released Motown Madness in 2012-13. I mean, what could be better than a set... of Red Wings. I still pick up cards from this set when I can and 'where it makes sense'. The autographs are all stickers which would normally be a big drawback, but it opened up a few names to the checklist that you don't normally see in the Winged Wheel jersey. Like today's card:

[Image: Borje-Salming-Autograph.jpg]

Salming is one in a long list of under appreciated Hall of Fame defensemen. Maybe he gets a mention in the top 25 defensemen all-time, maybe not. He only played 49 games for the Wings before he retired and managed only a poorly airbrushed 1989-90 O-Pee-Chee card as Red Wing. This might be the only auto of him wearing a Red Wings jersey!

That's one of the things I loved about this ITG set, though. I could add a HOFer auto in the jersey I wanted to see them in! What could be more fun, right...
Current Project #1 - 2022-23 O-Pee-Chee Base Set (520/600)
Current Project #2 - 2022-23 O-Pee-Chee Playing Card Set (49/54)

Current Most Wanted - 1991-92 Upper Deck #587 Nicklas Lidstrom YG PSA 10 Incoming

RE: A Little Holiday Joy - Day 3
I also collect Red Wings (born in Michigan) and love the cards of Hall of Famers who had a cup of coffee in Detroit ... Modano, Hull, Robitaille, Chelios, Hasek, etc.

Very nice auto. That set looked great!

@rjcj2017
I grew up in Michigan as well, right on Lake Michigan. This set was really a neat one for me and I pulled some great cards. I still try to pick up the SP autos when they aren't ridiculous priced (not paying $200 for an Yzerman sticker auto, etc.) and I've been searching for the SP jerseys since release and they hardly ever come up...

@creasecollector
I feel like this set really did a great job with sticker autos. I display them in one-touches and you really can't tell it's a sticker. ITG really pushed the boundaries on some of their designs. To make this set without a license had to have been a challenge but these cards look awesome.
Current Project #1 - 2022-23 O-Pee-Chee Base Set (520/600)
Current Project #2 - 2022-23 O-Pee-Chee Playing Card Set (49/54)

Current Most Wanted - 1991-92 Upper Deck #587 Nicklas Lidstrom YG PSA 10 Incoming