`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Richard Petty 1995 Traks Autograph (1991 TRAKS Prototype Card)

Richard Petty 1995 Traks Autograph (1991 TRAKS Prototype Card)
My Uncle passed away back in March at 61 years of age.  He and I spent alot of time together in the early 90's and I got him into collecting sports cards.  We would go to flea markets and shows along with my dad.  I was 12 in 1992.  

My step-aunt has slowly been going through his stuff and I would go by and pick up whatever it was she happened to come across. Of course I was mostly concerned with family pics, papers, etc....but in the back of my mind I was sure he still kept all of his cards/collectibles.  I didn't dare straight ask for it but was just hoping she would come across it and continue to keep me in mind if she did.

She finally came across the stuff and reached back out to me.  He, like my dad and I, had a limited budget back in the early 90's and of course, the early 90's is the early 90's so no one is retiring off the stuff any time soon.  He did however put together the 88 MAXX set so I was really hoping to find that.  I was with him when he found the last card he needed to complete the set.  I believe we found it at a 100 table Baseball Card show at the Castlegate Hotel in Marietta Ga around 1992-ish.  When I think of collecting and my Uncle, this set immediately comes to mind.  I so thrilled to get it.

There was also several assorted sports unopened wax pack boxes.  About 10 in total with all but one being from 1990-1991.  The other box was a 1995 MAXX HOBBY box.  I busted it yesterday.  I pulled the Richard Petty 1991 TRAKS PROTOTYPE autograph in roughly pack 18 of 30.  I couldn't believe it.  1 in 600 pack ratio.

I'm pretty good with the internet but I am having a very hard time finding much info on this card...variations... print run....etc...   I'm sure there were multiple versions being he signed the prototypes but this one is the 1991 TRAKS CARD that has his name as 'The King'.  Head shot from collarbone up.

The signature is absolutely gorgeous with lots of loops.  Other Richard Petty auto's I see online look rushed.  Another kicker to this card is the signature is in a gold sharpie.  Seemed kind of odd to me (in a good way).  I would think that most of these signatures would have been in black.  Could this be a more sought after variation?  

I will try to upload a pic.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Collecting Dernell Stenson

RE: Richard Petty 1995 Traks Autograph (1991 TRAKS Prototype Card)
Hey there.

If you look on the card, it shows 1992, and this card looks like it is this set:

https://www.tcdb.com/ViewCard.cfm/sid/12...ageIndex=1

But a little more research from my friends over at Trading Card Database shows that it is, except different:

https://www.tcdb.com/ViewCard.cfm/sid/54...hard-Petty

Instead of me doing a recap, if you head over to the TCDB, you can find the thread here:

https://www.tcdb.com/Forum.cfm/Page/S/ID...D=5555&C=8

The long and the short of it is, "Consensus from the experts is that these were promotional items distributed by Traks directly to dealers."

Nice card.
Looking for:
2012 Total Memorabilia Tony Stewart Melting
Triple 1/1
Quad 1/1
Jumbo 1/1
Hot Rod Relics 1/1

05 Studio Portraits Bob Feller (45/56, 80% complete)

I collect Tony Stewart, Bob Feller, Steve Yzerman, Victor Martinez.

www.dunnere.weebly.com

Maybe you missed the part where I said I just busted a full hobby box of 95 Traks and pulled this card. The wrapper says the Petty is a 1:600 pull. I will post a picture of the wrapper tomorrow.

(11-10-2020, 11:14 PM)lwaldropjr Wrote: Maybe you missed the part where I said I just busted a full hobby box of 95 Traks and pulled this card. The wrapper says the Petty is a 1:600 pull. I will post a picture of the wrapper tomorrow.
You said a box of Maxx before!

yep, I did. Totally my mistake. Its 100% 1995 Traks Hobby box - Signed 1991 Promo Traks card auto'd by Richard Petty was pulled.

Sorry again!

lwaldropjr Wrote:Maybe you missed the part where I said I just busted a full hobby box of 95 Traks and pulled this card. The wrapper says the Petty is a 1:600 pull. I will post a picture of the wrapper tomorrow.
OK.

it must be a buyback? Because it looks exactly like this, right down to the sticker and gold ink:

https://www.tcdb.com/ViewCard.cfm/sid/54...hard-Petty

You have the packs...post a picture of the stated odds...
Looking for:
Triple 1/1
Quad 1/1
Jumbo 1/1
Hot Rod Relics 1/1

www.dunnere.weebly.com

It's not a buyback either Tom. IRP bought Traks, so they would have had some of those '92 Promos sitting around. They just got the King to sign them, slapped a sticker on them and put them in 1995 Traks packs. Remember in that TCDB thread, everyone was just speculating. Nobody could find proof of where they came from and they weren't looking at 1995 products. Most of the replies in that thread were based on the unsigned version of the card which was given to dealers in 1992. The IRP sticker was to make a difference between their signed version and ones from 1992 that were in-person signings obtained by dealers or other collectors. That's probably also the reason for the gold sharpie.

This is from the TCDB webpage. I will also post a pic of the pack. Didn't have time to yesterday. The pack states 1:600

1995 Traks
Inserts
NNO Richard Petty AU Petty Enterprises
Promos
26 Jeff Gordon Prototype First Run Hendrick Motorsports
NNO Bill Stanford PR2000
Insert Sets | Parallel Sets |
Insert Sets (14)
Behind the Scenes - Hobby (Holofoil) Gallery
Behind the Scenes - Retail (Silver Foil)
Behind The Scenes First Run Gallery
Challenger Series
Challengers First Run
On the Rise - Hobby (Holofoil) Gallery
On the Rise - Retail (Silver Foil)
On The Rise First Run Gallery
Race Scapes Gallery
Racing Machines
Racing Machines First Run Gallery
Series Stars
Series Stars (Unpeeled) Gallery
Series Stars First Run Gallery
Parallel Sets (2)
First Run Gallery
Retail (Silver Foil)

spazmatastic Wrote:It's not a buyback either Tom. IRP bought Traks, so they would have had some of those '92 Promos sitting around. They just got the King to sign them, slapped a sticker on them and put them in 1995 Traks packs. Remember in that TCDB thread, everyone was just speculating. Nobody could find proof of where they came from and they weren't looking at 1995 products. Most of the replies in that thread were based on the unsigned version of the card which was given to dealers in 1992. The IRP sticker was to make a difference between their signed version and ones from 1992 that were in-person signings obtained by dealers or other collectors. That's probably also the reason for the gold sharpie.
True enough.

Well, are you going to propose an update to the TCDB? It looks like the definitive answer to the question, especially since there is first hand knowledge of one being pulled from a 1995 Traks pack, and the stated odds on the pack - with a picture of that, hopefully, too.

Actually pretty cool collection of data and detective work for only spending a few minutes on it.

The Packs
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/r6MAAOSw1...-l1600.jpg

The Hobby Box
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/0VIAAOSwd...-l1600.jpg

Cool stuff
Looking for:
Triple 1/1
Quad 1/1
Jumbo 1/1
Hot Rod Relics 1/1

www.dunnere.weebly.com

Anyone know the stated print run of the 1995 TRAKS set or the total number of HOBBY boxes produced?

Was there even a RETAIL box distributed?