`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about counterfeits and grading

Question about counterfeits and grading
I apologize if I posted this in the wrong area of the forums.

Does anybody know if there is a place you can look to find information on every card, set, and the years as to how they were made, what to inspect, and better protect/educate yourself before purchasing? Such as years where a black light would work, tops of inks used, size and thickness of the cards.

I know they say get a feel for the cards using old commons. But is there anywhere where that info is listed? If the small amount of cards I purchased were counterfeit I want to learn from my mistakes and prevent it from happening again.

I purchased some cards on eBay in 2012. I then got busy with law school and they sat in my safe. I never took them out of the cases they came. My thought process was that I didn't want to damage them because they were older vintage cards. I finally took them out to put them in new penny sleeves and top holders. I've been debating on getting them graded. I also checked the serial numbers on some graded cards I had and they didn't show up in the system. The older cards also felt pretty thin. So I started to worry. If I plan on selling them down the road, I want to make sure that I know they're 100% real.

After taking them out of the cases I decided to google counterfeit search stuff to find out how to tell if cards are counterfeit. That led me down a 3 hour rabbit hole of reading articles and pages of random forum horror stories discussing counterfeits, compromised graded cards, etc. After that I decided to put my new knowledge to the test. Specifically searching the 1986-87 Fleer Michael Jordan rookie card. I spotted what I though was at least 3 counterfeits for sale on eBay that had people bidding on them. Another group of the Jordan's I saw seemed questionable with the scans randomly being blurry to prevent you from being able to tell from the pictures if it was a counterfeit. I'm not an expert on spotting fake Jordans. I only read an article that listed the common things you can spot on the fakes. So that is what I was using.

It's still super scary to think that there's so many counterfeits or scam artists out there.

Thanks for your help

RE: Question about counterfeits and grading
(08-04-2019, 11:39 PM)KingCash335i Wrote: I also checked the serial numbers on some graded cards I had and they didn't show up in the system.
If the serial number on the graded card does not match the registry, you may have a counterfeit.
Who was the grade from (BGS, PSA, etc). Does the case look compromised?

If you have pics, share them