`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
A Tale of Two Blasters - 2019-20 SP

A Tale of Two Blasters - 2019-20 SP
So there were two blasters left of SP at my local Target.

My first surprise was that they were $24.99 apiece rather than the usual $19.99 for a blaster.

"These better be good," I thought - especially for my first hockey blasters in like two years.

First blaster - great!

- Cale Makar true RC/1199 ... Calder finalist!
- James Van Riemsdyk auto ... Class A, tough pull!

I also pulled 5 Knights for my Vegas PC, including a Karlsson blue and a Nicholas Hague blue RC.

So at this point I was pretty excited for the second blaster.

Just needed Mark Stone and Cody Glass for a Vegas team set.

Second blaster - absolute dud.

- My one "hit" was a numbered RC of Phillipe Myers of the Flyers.

Other than that, got a lot of base dupes that I already pulled in the first blaster, and did not pull Stone, Glass, or any of the good rookies even in the blue parallels that fall one per pack.

Sooooo ... if I had not pulled the Makar and the Van Riemsdyk auto, this would have been an awful break, especially for the absurd $10 price increase.

Overall, though, not bad.

RE: A Tale of Two Blasters - 2019-20 SP
Hey thanks for sharing! You saved me some angst Wink

If you're happy, that's the most important thing.

I tend to agree with your analysis, though. It's a retail only release in the least popular sport. I mean, you just can't price it like these are soccer cards! Tongue
Current Project #1 - 2022-23 O-Pee-Chee Base Set (520/600)
Current Project #2 - 2022-23 O-Pee-Chee Playing Card Set (49/54)

Current Most Wanted - 1991-92 Upper Deck #587 Nicklas Lidstrom YG PSA 10 Incoming

[quote=rjcj2017]
So there were two blasters left of SP at my local Target.

My first surprise was that they were $24.99 apiece rather than the usual $19.99 for a blaster.

"These better be good," I thought - especially for my first hockey blasters in like two years.

First blaster - great!

- Cale Makar true RC/1199 ... Calder finalist!
- James Van Riemsdyk auto ... Class A, tough pull!

I also pulled 5 Knights for my Vegas PC, including a Karlsson blue and a Nicholas Hague blue RC.

So at this point I was pretty excited for the second blaster.

Just needed Mark Stone and Cody Glass for a Vegas team set.

Second blaster - absolute dud.

- My one "hit" was a numbered RC of Phillipe Myers of the Flyers.

Other than that, got a lot of base dupes that I already pulled in the first blaster, and did not pull Stone, Glass, or any of the good rookies even in the blue parallels that fall one per pack.

Sooooo ... if I had not pulled the Makar and the Van Riemsdyk auto, this would have been an awful break, especially for the absurd $10 price increase.

Overall, though, not bad.

Price was 24.99 on the sp retail last year as well.

hckydv7 Wrote:Price was 24.99 on the sp retail last year as well.
Good to know ... I haven't bought any blasters at all in like two or three years, it's been the occasional fat pack here and there.

The Makar RC and the Van Rimesdyk auto saved the break ... otherwise I would have been majorly disappointed at that price point. 

Even with those two I'm very "meh" about it in general ... I probably won't bust any more of these.

rjcj2017 Wrote:Good to know ... I haven't bought any blasters at all in like two or three years, it's been the occasional fat pack here and there.

The Makar RC and the Van Rimesdyk auto saved the break ... otherwise I would have been majorly disappointed at that price point. 

Even with those two I'm very "meh" about it in general ... I probably won't bust any more of these.
I had a very similar experience at Target. I haven't bought cards in very many years but have bought a few lately.  Two blaster boxes, I thought they were $19.99 as the signed said they were but they weren't. Anyway, I pulled a bunch of nice pieces. I got Quinn Hughes auto, a numbered Kirby Dach, a numbered Zadina, and Shesterkin. I also have the Stone and Glass you were looking for. I'd be willing to make a swap with you if youre' interested.

Also, why can't I find these or regular UD in Beckett?

fred bear Wrote:Hey thanks for sharing! You saved me some angst Wink

If you're happy, that's the most important thing.

I tend to agree with your analysis, though. It's a retail only release in the least popular sport. I mean, you just can't price it like these are soccer cards! Tongue
Fred, I may have some of the o-pee-chee. I opened a hobby box a little while back.

jadiro78 Wrote:I had a very similar experience at Target. I haven't bought cards in very many years but have bought a few lately.  Two blaster boxes, I thought they were $19.99 as the signed said they were but they weren't. Anyway, I pulled a bunch of nice pieces. I got Quinn Hughes auto, a numbered Kirby Dach, a numbered Zadina, and Shesterkin. I also have the Stone and Glass you were looking for. I'd be willing to make a swap with you if youre' interested.

Also, why can't I find these or regular UD in Beckett?
They had one last blaster at Target the other day, and against my better judgment, I grabbed it, at least hoping for the Stone and the Glass.

It was the worst one yet ... the "hit" was a numbered RC of Sam Lafferty of the Penguins.

Almost all of the rookies were dupes, as well as about half the base cards.

The one good rookie I pulled was the blue parallel Kappo Kakko.

Definitely won't be busting these next year and beyond.