`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2020 Score retail break (4 hangers)

2020 Score retail break (4 hangers)
I was inspired by RJ's thread and ZSD's thread> on 2020 Score.  Some thoughts on the hangers, set compilation, dupes (ugh!), then on to the goodies.

I like the front design of the base set.  Has the look of traditional Score without being too similar to the last 10 years that Panini has controlled the brand.  The back is typical Panini though.  Same image is duplicated on the back, only lists last years stats plus career stats, no mention of draft round/pick for rookies, inserts have the same style as base on back, etc.  If I were to rate the front, I'd say an 8/10, the back is more like a 3/10.

Inserts have the UNFORGIVABLE sin of being numbered by insert initials and player initials which makes it super annoying when set building.  Yes alphabetizing them isn't a big deal but you never quite know who/what you are missing without a checklist.  Numbering cards at least you know most of the games.  Topps was guilty of this as well so it's not a Panini only problem.

Inserts from this box include:

3D - 3 popular defenders for a given team.  A nice way to showcase an underrepresented segment of players. 
Deep Dive - shows a QB diving in the water, a pretty cool idea.  On the back the flavor text is themed with the set talking about the player diving for extra yardage.
Game Face - shows a color picture of a player and then a dark gradient of the same picture enlarged in the background.  The back has nothing to do with the front, meh.
Huddle Up - the front is something you'd see on a team checklist card, and the back again repeats the image and talks about the huddle in generic teams.
In The Zone - The front is a standard action show with a pink tone background with some purple and white swoops.  The only insert in the retail set that doesn't repeat the player image on back and for that reason makes it the best back design in Score 2020 retail.  It's also the only set/insert that notes "Score Football 2020" in the upper right corner.  The stats posted are next to useless as they are only a subset of what the base cards show.

The purple parallels are fairly easy to identify.  The foil Score logo on the front turns from silver to purple and any white border effects on base or inserts also turn purple.  Can be easy to overlook at first glance with In the Zone since it naturally uses some purple border effects.  The Huddle Up insert set pops a bit more with more white lines in the border that go unseen in the base version.

I can't speak for others experience but in my four boxes, I found the following breakdown:

(edit, image broke, will update post later on box breakdowns)

In terms of inserts, Huddle Up was the scarcest.  I pulled 1.5 every hanger box.  Whereas In the Zone I pulled 4.25 every hanger box.  However note HU only has 10 cards in the set whereas ITZ has 25.  Thus you'd likely expect to find 2.5x more ITZ cards.  If the HU set size was 25 (2.5x), then instead of finding 6 I'd expect to find 15 (6x2.5) which is on par with what I found in ITZ.  Owing for probably collation issues, I figure all inserts have about the same odds and no one insert is more scare than another.

Opinion Time ™:  Last item, I saw RJ mention pulling an LSU version of Burrow then being happy to nab an Ohio State purple version.  ZSD also brought up pulling a Hurts Oklahoma printing plate instead of an Alabama version.  I checked Beckett's checklist and found that instead of these cards being variations, they are simply in the set twice.  Burrow's LSU is #360 and Ohio State #438.  Hurts' Oklahoma is #358 and his Alabama is #394.  I gotta think that according to Beckett's own listing rules, the Burrow Ohio State and Hurts Alabama aren't "true" rookie cards since they aren't the first issue in the set.  Not that really anyone will care about that distinction.  I also find it a shame Panini didn't go the SP route for those two, this is a perfect example of what a good variation card can be.

Let's talk hits!

Rise Up:
Lamar Jackson purple jersey
Austin Ekeler 2x (powder blue jersey and navy blue jersey)

Game Face Purple parallel Tom Brady

Rookie purple parallel Jordan Love

I also recorded the box busting if that's your thing.  If you're not into unintentional heavy breathing, feel free to skip Smile.  My phone was too close to me and picked up too much in the audio.  I've been toying around doing a case break and I'm practicing my camera skills, please critique!  I figure the main video ought to be uploaded in the next 2 hours from the timestamp on this post.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...HnYh3p8svC

RE: 2020 Score retail break (4 hangers)
Great breakdown ... I didn't mean to imply they were different versions.

Should have said ... "I got a Joe Burrow card but it wasn't the one I was looking for."

You are correct, they are both base cards, not variations.

And, probably also correct about the second cards not being considered RCs ... this happened with Status retail basketball during Luka Doncic's rookie year ... each rookie had two different base cards, one from Walmart and one from Target.

But since the Walmart cards were numbered 101-150 and the Target cards were numbered 151-200, only the Walmart cards are considered RCs.

Funny thing, though ... I pulled a Luka out of a Target blaster during Christmas shopping last year and personally consider it a RC, LOL.

And I think hangers are the way to go with this product ... it looks like you got 3 hits in 4 hangers, and I got 2 hits in 3 hangers ... so a "success rate" of 66 to 75 percent is pretty solid!

I think Score was pretty clever by including the second Burrow and Hurts cards ... very good use of their NCAA license and those two players in particular have pretty interesting stories associated with those other uniforms.

RE: 2020 Score retail break (4 hangers)
jplarson Wrote:Inserts have the UNFORGIVABLE sin of being numbered by insert initials and player initials which makes it super annoying when set building.  Yes alphabetizing them isn't a big deal but you never quite know who/what you are missing without a checklist.  Numbering cards at least you know most of the games.  Topps was guilty of this as well so it's not a Panini only problem.
I hate this as well.  Especially when most of the time Beckett goes and gives it a numerical number.

Last year I had several hanger's with gu'd hits, though they were all of the $4-$5 variety.  Depends on what you goal is.  For me it is building the base and insert sets.  For that the value packs give you more cards for less money.
I collect Andre Johnson, JJ Watt, Redskins who played in the 70’s & 80’s, HOF’ers and Texas A&M Aggies.
Email: rbredskin@windstream.net
No trading outside the U.S.