`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st time owner and I have a question!

1st time owner and I have a question!
I'm sorry this is my first time posting here because I recently purchased a rookie Michael Jordan. I'm sure I am overreacting but just in case I am not do you guys have any tips on verifying whether or not my card is authentic or not? The card has not made its way in yet but it is going to be here this Saturday.

I read online that I should look for small fractures to see if the case has been broken up at all and when I check the serial number it says that the card was graded back in 1999. 

For some peace of mind can people please post some of their cards graded back in 99 so I can check the label for comparison? Thank you to everybody who takes time to read this and have a good day

RE: 1st time owner and I have a question!
Do you have a scan of the card and/or graded case that it's in? I didn't personally have any cards graded back in '99 but I did get a couple graded in the late 00/early 01. Aside from the presentation of the text written on the gold/silver/white label, the cases are identical to ones I received last year from a grading order.

jplarson Wrote:Do you have a scan of the card and/or graded case that it's in?  I didn't personally have any cards graded back in '99 but I did get a couple graded in the late 00/early 01.  Aside from the presentation of the text written on the gold/silver/white label, the cases are identical to ones I received last year from a grading order.

Darn I'm trying to post the picture but I'm not having any luck.

Here is a card from the first few months of BGS

[Image: full]

Well the number is 0000116008 and is BGS. I'm trying to attach a picture of it in the post but I'm not sure how to do it

Here's a picture in the link I hope it shows up sorry if it's against the rules but I can't upload for some reason 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124200036749

I'll take a stab at helping you: 

1. BGS cases are great in that it is very difficult to break a card out of one, and when you do, the case shatters at point of impact. There is, to my capabilities, no way to break a card out and swap it with another. I've done test runs with low graded stuff from back in the lower cost grading days. I've also saved myself cross over fees by busting slabs of some competitors to BGS and sliding the card out, and putting wallet sized family photos in the slab as a joke to show how undetected the damage is on the competitor cases. From what I've been told the other company has upgraded their case security. The slab in the picture does not look to be in any sort of questionable condition (though for an item as valuable I do have questions about the picture taking, but that's a nitpick). 

2. The seller has a five year track record with over 1000 positive feedback. That he's not encountered a single crabby pants buyer since 2015, dealing in sports cards, is close to a miracle.

3. The serial number you provided matches the picture. The serial number in the picture matches the BGS serial # lookup and the subgrades line up as advertised in the listing.

So I think with those factors, you're getting what you paid for. However, if you're reading this I hope I can offer you some futures advice: 

You just paid what some Americans make in a month for an item, in a hobby we love. Your seller is shipping in a first class package during a pandemic when the mail is running dreadfully slow. For what you spent on the item, the seller and you should have had some sort of dialogue on insurance and quicker shipping options. If you already covered this and I'm out of line, I apologize. For the cost of this, a first class package is only covered up to $50 if lost in the mail (last I checked, someone fact check me as needed). You do not mail a Jordan rookie in a generic bubble mailer with less than $3 in postage cost. 

Please continue to invest in the iconic cards of this hobby and give them a loving home, always feel free to drop in and share scans and photos of your collection and shoot the breeze with us about the hobby. But for heavens sake, demand insurance next time you spend any number that has a comma in it.

(also, congrats on the Jordan rookie!!!!!)
Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas

Hobby instagram

Oh man I didn't even realize it was gonna be in a bubble wrap envelope now I'm incredibly nervous. Your totally right if I had known I would have contacted about that and ask for more information and try to correct it with more insurance.

I contacted the seller and assures me it will be fine but now I'm a little paranoid. Will definitely be recording myself opening it up to be safe

Have some xanax (or whatever keeps you calm) handy. I shipped some cards to a town 40 miles away (buyer preferred no contact) and it took 4 days before tracking updated in the system, the morning it arrived in his local post office. I was fit to be tied for 72 hours.

Please do a fun video opening it, though. This is a great card and you have every right to be happy about owning it once in hand. And definitely take some better pictures and share with the rest of the class! I'm honestly very happy for you to secure such an important part of card history.
Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas

Hobby instagram