`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guess I'm Priced out of Baseball This Year, Too

RE: Guess I'm Priced out of Baseball This Year, Too
I guess i am in the minority that actually like Heritage? I put the Sp set together and this year i pulled an auto of Aquino blue ink and a Bo Bichette Red Ink both were hobby pulls. My LCS was closed but they were still selling to their best customers. I am not a huge retail guy. My LCS had some 2019 Update blasters at 20 bucks and i bought one and got a nice Vintage stock of Pete Alonso Rookie Debut card. Lately i have been getting into more vintage and picked up a PSA 8 1982 Topps Ripken RC!

(05-18-2020, 04:48 PM)magneto2 Wrote: I guess i am in the minority that actually like Heritage?
Definitely not in the minority if you like it.

(05-18-2020, 04:48 PM)magneto2 Wrote: I guess i am in the minority that actually like Heritage? I put the Sp set together and this year i pulled an auto of Aquino blue ink and a Bo Bichette Red Ink both were hobby pulls. My LCS was closed but they were still selling to their best customers. I am not a huge retail guy. My LCS had some 2019 Update blasters at 20 bucks and i bought one and got a nice Vintage stock of Pete Alonso Rookie Debut card. Lately i have been getting into more vintage and picked up a PSA 8 1982 Topps Ripken RC!
I always get a couple of blasters every year with the hope that I can pull Trout, who is usually a SP.

The bi-product is that I normally pull most of the good rookies and sometimes a relic or auto, and then I usually call it quits.

Last year I didn't pull Trout in my two allotted blasters, but a few months later there was one lonely jumbo left at Walmart on an early morning run, so I bought it and pulled the Trout cloth sticker card ... was pretty happy with that.

I have nothing against Heritage at all but have been surprised at how little it seems to appeal to the retail sharks in my area.
(05-18-2020, 02:42 PM)jaredhuizenga Wrote: The Donruss isn't bad - the base is a little boring and the variations are WAY too common, but the colored holos look really cool (especially the red) and the Rapture, Pink Fireworks, and Vector versions of the inserts look good and carry a pretty decent BV.

I'm pretty sure I've built the set at least once, but I'm ready for something new and Heritage (probably my least favorite Topps product) isn't it. Although I acknowledge that I'm in the minority on that one.
I always do a couple of Donruss blasters as well ... I am an admitted fiend for the Rated Rookie logo, always have been.

I did two mega boxes this year and pulled the Robert RC in the second one, so I called it good.

You're right about the parallels ... I pulled a Franco pink fireworks parallel in the first box, it's a sharp looking card.

(05-18-2020, 04:48 PM)magneto2 Wrote: I guess i am in the minority that actually like Heritage? I put the Sp set together and this year i pulled an auto of Aquino blue ink and a Bo Bichette Red Ink both were hobby pulls. My LCS was closed but they were still selling to their best customers.
I love Heritage! In the past, I bought hobby boxes, but last year picked up a case. Disappointing that there was only 3 boxes out of the case with an auto. I guessed that it would have been closer to 50% auto/relic, but no.
Although I put together 4 complete sets from the case, which was nice and nearly completed the SP set.
This year I limited myself to a few blasters. If the employment situation drastically changes in the next month or two, I might get a discounted case of 2020 heritage from Blowout on Black Friday if they are still around.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(05-18-2020, 12:39 AM)spazmatastic Wrote: It's not the price of products that pushed me away from baseball cards, it's the products themselves. Topps getting the exclusive license was the first step. I haven't personally bought a single box (hobby, retail or blaster) of modern baseball cards since 2010! At least until this past December when I used a Target gift card and got a blaster of 2019 Topps Chrome Update MLB cards. I did get blaster boxes of 2011 and 2012 Topps flagship as gifts back when they came out, but nothing since then. I did buy some bags of the Utz potato chips packages for the Topps UTZ cards last year too. I was just intrigued by the UTZ cards and the TC Update cards were just b/c there were no NASCAR cards and nothing that interested me more in the NFL products when I was Christmas shopping last December. Topps will not get much of my money until they actually earn it and nothing they've made since 2011 seemed to be worth it to me. I think the last NFL product from them that I bought was a blaster of 2013 Strata. It was crap too! I don't mean the blaster box, I mean the product as a whole. I mostly will not buy Panini MLB cards either b/c they aren't actually MLB cards since there are no logos! Cards have become crap for those with 30+ years in the hobby thanks to Topps and Panini!!!
I still do a bunch of trades across all sports, but most of that has been for the older cards from the 80's-90's. And I've also sold way more cards in the past few years than I ever did before. The "junk-era" is coming back hard thanks to the modern crap coming out from all of the card companies. I'd guess that 90% of the thousands of cards I've sold in the past 24 months are from the mid-80's to mid-90's. AND, I'm not doing it on ebay, Facebook, COMC, and so on. It's just from trading card sites. I got $130 (after shipping) in the past 2 weeks just selling cards for what was offered to me on one site. These weren't even the inflated prices we are seeing on sites right now. FIVE transactions for anywhere from 6 cards to a factory set of 220 cards is what I sold. Between the extremes were 3 team-lots of about 70 cards.
Still not going to buy any boxes of cards for ANY sport for quite a while. EXCEPT whatever I get with some D&A gift cards that I am still holding on to right now. They'll probably be older products though!
@Kerryandbeth:
You don't have to agree with anything I said before. I stated my personal opinion of the hobby and my personal preference of cards I want to buy. Topps is not producing anything I want to buy for the price it costs vs. what is in the product. Panini isn't really doing anything worth buying in NFL cards either, at least not for the cost of a hobby box. I haven't even bought any NASCAR card boxes in over a year b/c Panini is also over-pricing their products there. If I WAS going to buy packaged products from ANY sport right now, I'm going much older than the past decade. Buying new stuff would only make me a "flipper" b/c I'd only keep the PC cards and try to sell everything else. I do not want to be a flipper!