`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The ol' bait and switch

The ol' bait and switch
On the SCF boards there's a dude posting deals on his auctions (which is okay to do on those forums) with a note stating it wouldn't be more than $4 for shipping. He has since deleted that post but not before I screenshotted it and saved the original link.

I win 4 auctions and get an invoice for $2 on cards, $15 on shipping. I send a request for combined shipped and get a message back stating "its not letting [sic] send invoice I can't do a deal on shipping right now I'm out of work married with two kids sorry".

I can definitely emphasize with him, I'm also married with two little ones and I'm on unpaid furlough. Still a real cruddy thing to do to people. Makes me glad forums rules here do not allow for people posting their own auctions.

In the end he didn't do anything "wrong" on eBay and whatever he winds up replying to me with I'll wind up paying. But he's not honoring what he posted on the boards and I will be calling out his threads on SCF to make sure folks know what the deal is despite what his posts state.

RE: The ol' bait and switch
I understand needing the money, but he should be upfront about it. Hopefully he makes it right with you! I recently did a deal with a guy on facebook for a couple incoming (I hope, though I'm beginning to wonder) Burfict 1/1s. The deal was 3 cards worth a total of $120 and some cash. I felt I was over paying, but went for it anyways. He now has the cards I sent listed in a group he thought I wasnt in for $320, and I have yet to see my cards...so we'll see what happens. People like that kill the hobby.

(04-30-2020, 10:53 AM)savagenate Wrote: I understand needing the money, but he should be upfront about it. Hopefully he makes it right with you! I recently did a deal with a guy on facebook for a couple incoming (I hope, though I'm beginning to wonder) Burfict 1/1s. The deal was 3 cards worth a total of $120 and some cash. I felt I was over paying, but went for it anyways. He now has the cards I sent listed in a group he thought I wasnt in for $320, and I have yet to see my cards...so we'll see what happens. People like that kill the hobby.
Man really sorry to hear about the Burfict deal. Hopefully he makes good on it but worth calling him out I think since you already have a done deal.

As for my guy, he asked me what I was willing to pay for shipping since I thought $15 wasn't reasonable for 4 cards. I said $6, figuring a $4 base and an extra $2 to package 3 more cards. I showed him the screenshot to the forum post to which he replied that he never said he offered combined shipping on eBay.... which, fine, that's accurate. Still shady to imply combined shipping on a forum posting your own ebay auctions.

At any rate, I paid the shipping ransom and added a note that I would enjoy opening 4 different packages.

Here's the posting for what it's worth. Let me know how you'd understand shipping charges, maybe my reading comprehension has atrophied with the pandemic going on! If nothing else, it's a lesson to me to not deal with people who aren't established already unless terms are extremely clear.

Shady? Yes. Legally enforceable? No.

I would tell the dude to pound sand and to keep his cards for not being upfront.

We're all having some degree of difficulty at the moment.

The way I read his run-on sentence:

"All these cards are on ebay right now."
"Some with $4 shipping."
"At the most" (Meaning, that's the highest shipping price he has listed his items with.)

In other words, he's compensating the low starting price with "higher" shipping. Although shipping from one coast to the other IS $4.20 right now.

It's been crazy this year, probably half of my purchases have been cheaper than the price for shipping.
With 20+ years collecting, this is the most comprehensive single player collection in the world! Beckett lists 4000+ cards - I'm at 95% completion!
[Image: jaderock-1-1-1.jpg]]

(05-01-2020, 03:25 AM)jaderock Wrote: The way I read his run-on sentence:

"Some with $4 shipping."
"At the most" (Meaning, that's the highest shipping price he has listed his items with.)

In other words, he's compensating the low starting price with "higher" shipping. Although shipping from one coast to the other IS $4.20 right now.

It's been crazy this year, probably half of my purchases have been cheaper than the price for shipping.
Really? for a 3oz package, bubble mailer, First Class shipping, it costs me 2.76 for shipping anywhere in the US I think, through paypal. Yeah, you could argue you need a little extra for envelopes, tape, paper, but when it reaches $4 either you're looking to make money off of shipping, or you're doing it wrong lol. That my opinion anyways lol.
(04-30-2020, 11:25 AM)jplarson Wrote: Man really sorry to hear about the Burfict deal. Hopefully he makes good on it but worth calling him out I think since you already have a done deal.

As for my guy, he asked me what I was willing to pay for shipping since I thought $15 wasn't reasonable for 4 cards. I said $6, figuring a $4 base and an extra $2 to package 3 more cards. I showed him the screenshot to the forum post to which he replied that he never said he offered combined shipping on eBay.... which, fine, that's accurate. Still shady to imply combined shipping on a forum posting your own ebay auctions.

At any rate, I paid the shipping ransom and added a note that I would enjoy opening 4 different packages.

Here's the posting for what it's worth. Let me know how you'd understand shipping charges, maybe my reading comprehension has atrophied with the pandemic going on! If nothing else, it's a lesson to me to not deal with people who aren't established already unless terms are extremely clear.

I can see where you'd get confused. He isn't clear, but I can't think of many good sellers who don't automatically combine shipping if you buy multiple items from them if you wait for an invoice. That's bad business, and I would dock him for it in feedback, if not in stars, at least in review.
(05-01-2020, 09:12 AM)savagenate Wrote: Really? for a 3oz package, bubble mailer, First Class shipping, it costs me 2.76 for shipping anywhere in the US I think, through paypal. Yeah, you could argue you need a little extra for envelopes, tape, paper, but when it reaches $4 either you're looking to make money off of shipping, or you're doing it wrong lol. That my opinion anyways lol.

I can see where you'd get confused. He isn't clear, but I can't think of many good sellers who don't automatically combine shipping if you buy multiple items from them if you wait for an invoice. That's bad business, and I would dock him for it in feedback, if not in stars, at least in review.
On the Burfict side, the tracking number he gave me updated, so here's hoping!

(05-01-2020, 03:25 AM)jaderock Wrote: The way I read his run-on sentence:

"Some with $4 shipping."

Good point and it makes sense the way you describe it. Fortunately it's not a coast to coast ship, he's in Illinois and only 100 miles away from me. Maybe it's a Packers tax Wink

At any rate, I appreciate all the responses from everyone. I'm chalking this up to a live and learn.

I have been doing a lot of trading recently and I do shipping through Paypal. It starts at 2.76 for 2oz., it goes up with each oz and also if you are shipping out of your zone. I dont know how they have the country divided exactly but if I (in MD) ship to TX or IL its more and even more to CA.

Also nothing infuriates me more then overcharging for shipping.
I collect Ray Lewis, Roger Staubach, Drew Pearson, Kellen Winslow Sr..  I no longer keep my Org here up to date. Please check with me.  Here is a thread with links to my inventory.

(05-01-2020, 04:59 PM)Jquinn83 Wrote: I have been doing a lot of trading recently and I do shipping through Paypal. It starts at 2.76 for 2oz., it goes up with each oz and also if you are shipping out of your zone. I dont know how they have the country divided exactly but if I (in MD) ship to TX or IL its more and even more to CA.

Also nothing infuriates me more then overcharging for shipping.
Amen!