`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What was 2011 Topps Update like?

RE: What was 2011 Topps Update like?
I will add that the 2011 Trout is the reason we will likely not see another regular issued RC go for what his does. So many people got caught off guard and now have 5000 ct monster boxes of every single RC logo card they make. I would also guess that at this point there are more graded 2011 Trouts than ungraded.

I feel like the demand for Topps Update cards is largely because of the 2011 Trout. The 2018 trio of Torres, Acuna, and Soto have some significant hype and Ive been pretty surprised as how well the Acuna in particular is doing in light of the fact there are so many Acunas available. I'll admit that is the reason I buy Topps Update now.

As for 2019 Update....not sure if there will be a big name that takes off....maybe Cavan Biggio, but probably not as good of a set. If someone like Wander Franco quickly ascends to to the bigs, and makes it onto an Update set as like a 20 year old, that could get interesting.

(04-27-2020, 08:50 AM)collector1974 Wrote: I remember when his 2011 Update was $5. I had not heard of him yet. I sold 2 of his cards on the bay for .99 cents each. Man, to have them back now. I sold another one has year for $150.00. Oh well, wont be the last mistake I make in life, I'm sure!
Yeah, I traded for his 2011 Topps Update early on here. Like when it was $10 or $15. I didn't collect him at the time but wanted it one of him just incase. Turned out good on my side this time. I've traded away some good ones but not that lopsided...yet. Time will tell.
LF:  Kyle Tucker, Ryan Mountcastle, Shane Bieber, Alex Bohm, Joe Ryan, & Dale Murphy

Bad traders: almostbaker, beantownsfinest, thespirit33, GRIFFEY MAN 1

I once bought an entire box of jumbo packs at Target and had four of them, I think.

Sold three of them as a lot for $27 BIN because I was cool.

I kept the rest of the cards in the original box and had been meaning to put the set together forever.

There are some other pretty big names in the set (Altuve, Goldschmidt, etc.), but unfortunately I purged the entire lot along with 98 percent of my collection a couple of summers ago.

I don't miss most of what I let go, but do wish I had that box back.

Same with my 2012-13 Prizm basketball ... the price for base cards has gone through the roof, and I believe I had three hobby boxes and probably four blasters worth of those as well.

(04-25-2020, 08:31 PM)crazyforkinsler5 Wrote: Yes, his Bowman Chrome auto (2009) could be had for under $5 when it first came out. He was a nobody, and no one collected his cards or cared about him. Same with Tom Brady back in 2000. The local LCS had his RCs in their 10 cent boxes. In their freaking 10 cent boxes, and now he's one of the top 5-6 QBs of all time.
I hit the jackpot with Brady (kinda - had to keep them for a long time). I am still holding on to 2 of his RC's that I pulled back in 2000 from $3 packs. The Skybox Impact RC is now listed at $80 and the UD Ultimate Victory RC is listed at $250. Both were listed at $3 when I pulled them from Christmas packs my Grandmother gave me. I kept them b/c the Pats are my #3 team. I am SO GLAD that I did keep them. Oddly, every time he lost a Super Bowl, the price dropped a bunch. But then he'd win another one and the price would jump above where it was before the drop.
In baseball, my Yadier Molina RC AU card was $25 when I traded for it about 12-15 years ago. Now, it books for $125. Besides being a Cardinal, I've chased his cards b/c I saw him play in the Appy League after they drafted him and sent him to Johnson City (TN).

ughhhh Brady is another one that haunts me. I pulled a Fleer Utra Gold Medallion bAck in 2000. I kept it for a year or so and made up my mind it would never go any higher because he was in his college uni and not his NFL one. *Runs away crying*

I had bough a case of Topps update to break and sell for fun.

I sold several complete sets on ebay for less that $20 soon after it came out

and I ended up selling a CONGAC version of Trout on COMC for like $5!!! lol

Luckily I had 2 left over sets that I never sold and found a 3rd Trout in the incomplete set piles. So I have 3 total. Yet to get them graded. 2 look grade worthy and 3rd might be an 8, as slight corner damage
Finder's Fee for these cards if I obtain them(NO EBAY or COMC).

2010 Neftali Feliz Ginter Relic,

(04-29-2020, 04:54 PM)chevy man 22 Wrote: ughhhh Brady is another one that haunts me. I pulled a Fleer Utra Gold Medallion bAck in 2000. I kept it for a year or so and made up my mind it would never go any higher because he was in his college uni and not his NFL one. *Runs away crying*
Oh man.

During LeBron's rookie year a card shop opened up in my town and I became pretty good buddies with the owner.

He would let me trade singles for packs/boxes, so I can't even remember how many Brady RCs I traded away (including his Bowman Chrome RC that I once pulled out of four retail packs at 7-11), not to mention probably half a dozen LeBron Topps Chrome RCs that I pulled and immediately traded for more product.

Those LeBrons go four four figures these days!