`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions on Baseball Card Price Guide #42... Anyone?

Questions on Baseball Card Price Guide #42... Anyone?
Hi all, I'm picking up the hobby again after 15 years, so I bought the baseball card price guide #42, the 2020 Edition, to catch up the changes, however, when I flip it over, I cannot find some sets like all the Leaf brands are disappeared; some SP sets like legendary cut, game used, signatures cannot be found; Donruss Classics are also absent; not to mention where is Ultimate Collection of Upper Deck? Is that I need the monthly magazine to have those pricing?
I knew Beckett only include the popular sets but are those mentioned above were not popular now? OMG....
Thanks in advance

RE: Questions on Baseball Card Price Guide #42... Anyone?
Not surprising you cannot find many of those sets because many others are also missing from the subscription-based online version.

For those brands you mention, the monthly magazine won't help you either. I'm sure they aren't in them. They really just put the active sets in those mag's and books. The only way you'll get current values for those other products is to get an online price guide (OPG). It's $11 per month (30 days). You can get it for just one month if you make sure to turn off the auto-renew feature as soon as you purchase it. I haven't bought anything printed by Beckett in probably 15 years now. I just check the OPG. But I collect more than just baseball and have tons of other sports and non-sports cards too. So it's much cheaper for me to just get the Total Access OPG for $35/month and see values for everything in their database.

Thanks Bro, I really don't understand how they determine what to list and what not to... anyway, big thanks to your advise, so buying the digital copies are also not working in my case - OPG is the only option. I Will study further on that - thank you very much!!

(04-28-2020, 10:50 PM)spazmatastic Wrote: For those brands you mention, the monthly magazine won't help you either. I'm sure they aren't in them. They really just put the active sets in those mag's and books. The only way you'll get current values for those other products is to get an online price guide (OPG). It's $11 per month (30 days). You can get it for just one month if you make sure to turn off the auto-renew feature as soon as you purchase it. I haven't bought anything printed by Beckett in probably 15 years now. I just check the OPG. But I collect more than just baseball and have tons of other sports and non-sports cards too. So it's much cheaper for me to just get the Total Access OPG for $35/month and see values for everything in their database.

Happy to help in any way. I really wish there was a better way to determine value than using Beckett OR using tons of sell prices from about a dozen sites selling cards these days. There just really isn't anymore. Beckett took out all the other reliable sources of a "value" for any single card. Some people try to use recent ebay sells as the basis of what they will buy or sell a card for and some use COMC or numerous other sites. Beckett is consistent and I use their "value" to get a base for my decisions. If Beckett lists a card for $10, I want to buy it for about $3 or sell it for $4-5. I'm not including shipping in those prices.

What bugs me most about Beckett lately is the lack of using multipliers for parallels and insert parallels. They just finally posted BV's for the 2019 Donruss Racing Optic Red Wave parallels last week! The 2020 Donruss product was released back in February. It really took them over a year to figure out the "value" of the Optic Red Wave parallel from 2019!? How long will it take to figure out the 2020 Optic retail parallels? They could have simply put in the multiplier of 2x or 3x like they did in the magazines when I was a kid in the 80's and early 90's.

I was collecting in 90's and early 2000's, and because of too busy, I didn't touch the hobby for over 15 years, I didn't read Beckett for a very longtime. Picking up the hobby again because of the lockdown, I never stay at home like now in the previous 15 years. I would say I skipped the whole Panini era - and now I even wonder did the definition of RC changed over the years? I cannot really determine which one is a player's base RC, since they have way tooooooo many variants. Beckett was great especially before they started their grading services business, this becomes the relationship of players vs referees when you are both! I bought their year book because I expect that including every sets in history, turning out it disappoint me. The old books in 90's have everything! Looks like I will have to subscribe OPG to pick up everything....