`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Over 3,000 cards to the garbage can!

RE: Over 3,000 cards to the garbage can!
Between 2009-2015, I unloaded over 37,000 cards at the nearby Texas Children's Hospital. Prior to that when I had a mortgage and could still itemize tax deductions, it was at least 3 times that at several locations. But hearing similar stories about not taking cards, I have recently contributed to by recycling bin as well. Keep the stars, rc's and inserts and the rest go.
I collect Andre Johnson, JJ Watt, Redskins who played in the 70’s & 80’s, HOF’ers and Texas A&M Aggies.
Email: rbredskin@windstream.net
No trading outside the U.S.

Twice I have sent out a box for donation...1 to the guy in Texas that keeps posting events on Beckett, and another to a children's program to help difficult behavior. Both cost me over $25 to ship out as they were too big to fit in the medium flat rate box, and I added that shipping cost to my donation amount (I still itemize).

But, both of those boxes had value in them with duplicates of current stars, RCs, and inserts. The stuff I threw away were all base with nothing over 30 cents. I would not feel right sending a bunch of crappy base to a charity and expect a tax deduction...not that I am saying anybody did that.

shoot.. i would have taken the 70s stuff Smile trying to start those sets haha.

good for you though. I'm about to do the same things with piles of cards I have just taking up space. No one seem to collect sets any more, so all the base dupes are just about worthless.
Set builder
Collecting Rafael Devers, Juan Soto, Red Sox, Nationals, and HOFers for my PC

I just picked up 1986-1991 Topps complete sets. Was thinking about putting them all into my ORG as singles in case anyone was working on sets. Now I'm starting to wonder if that's a good idea.

(04-26-2020, 10:49 AM)mlbguru8 Wrote: shoot.. i would have taken the 70s stuff Smile trying to start those sets haha.

good for you though. I'm about to do the same things with piles of cards I have just taking up space. No one seem to collect sets any more, so all the base dupes are just about worthless.

(04-26-2020, 12:16 PM)crazyforkinsler5 Wrote: I just picked up 1986-1991 Topps complete sets. Was thinking about putting them all into my ORG as singles in case anyone was working on sets. Now I'm starting to wonder if that's a good idea.
I've had all of mine listed for years and I've traded a lot of them but not to people who frequent these boards. I think the majority of people who are interested in those cards are not members who participate in the threads so it makes it hard to let them know you've got them available. The members I've traded mine to just happened to come across me somehow. Maybe via Matchmaker?
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

(04-26-2020, 12:16 PM)crazyforkinsler5 Wrote: I just picked up 1986-1991 Topps complete sets. Was thinking about putting them all into my ORG as singles in case anyone was working on sets. Now I'm starting to wonder if that's a good idea.
The problem you're going to have is shipping costs more than the cards are worth. Seriously, why would I pay $5 to ship 150 cards when I can buy the cards I'm getting in return for less than $5?

I actually gave away over 500k Baseball and a little football to goodwill..most were commons from 1980-2005 but were plenty of dollar and 2 dollar cards.. i was moving and wife complained so only kept what i wanted.. still have about 300k cards LOL

(04-28-2020, 07:37 PM)brian2345 Wrote: I actually gave away over 500k Baseball and a little football to goodwill..most were commons from 1980-2005 but were plenty of dollar and 2 dollar cards.. i was moving and wife complained so only kept what i wanted.. still have about 300k cards LOL
I don't want to be a downer but I cannot imagine Goodwill wanting to put in the time and effort to figure out how to sell those and most likely threw them away.

(04-28-2020, 08:51 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: I don't want to be a downer but I cannot imagine Goodwill wanting to put in the time and effort to figure out how to sell those and most likely threw them away.
Goodwill actually sells lots of cards on their websites. Some on the national level and some on the state or city level sites.

I had no idea!