`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Over 3,000 cards to the garbage can!

Over 3,000 cards to the garbage can!
For years I have been surprised (and sometimes appalled) when I read posts about others throwing away base versions of baseball cards. I always thought "why can't they just give them to charity or little kids at ball games or young relatives".

Well, after many phone call inquiries to nonprofits and discussions with others, there really isn't any way to rid ourselves of "junk wax" and other minuscule valued cards other than that plastic container I keep in the garage.

So, last night I threw out over 3,000 baseball cards from 1978, 1985, 1989, and 1991 thru 2007 that all book for 5 to 30 cents each. Now I feel liberated!

Let me know your experiences with this or if you want to punch me in the nose.

RE: Over 3,000 cards to the garbage can!
I was able to surprisingly give away about 6000 cards to a co-worker who gave them to his son. They were from 1984-1991. He really enjoys them!

I did the same thing, all my commons go into the scrap yard and there's a lot. Over the year i do some cleanup of tons of boxes but i do go through them one more time to make sure i didn't miss anything and at times i do miss the odd rookie card and Elite player.

(04-22-2020, 10:09 AM)jbissell Wrote: I was able to surprisingly give away about 6000 cards to a co-worker who gave them to his son. They were from 1984-1991. He really enjoys them!
Good for you! I pursued the same thing but I work in a company with a bunch of rich snobs that thought it was insulting to offer such items...seriously.

(04-22-2020, 10:12 AM)Simpleton Wrote: I did the same thing, all my commons go into the scrap yard and there's a lot. Over the year i do some cleanup of tons of boxes but i do go through them one more time to make sure i didn't miss anything and at times i do miss the odd rookie card and Elite player.
Yep, I knew this about you and I was rolling my eyes in disbelief Huh (ha!) but not anymore. Big Grin

dang you threw out some 78's.
Selling my org out
Rolleyes

(04-22-2020, 10:41 AM)leadmetogreatness Wrote: dang you threw out some 78's.
Yes, I have had them since 1980 (for trade until 2015) and even offered free ones on a post, which 1 person took about 50 of them.

Over the years I have posted 4 times that I was giving away free cards up to shipments of 50 cards and the same 3-4 people took advantage of it. I did not want it to cost me anymore to get rid of them (much cheaper tossing than shipping, especially with today's rates).

On a side note, a bit of an interesting story on how I obtained them. I was working in housing construction in California in 1980 and we were renovating an abandoned house and I fell through the roof into the attic. After recovering, I noticed two large boxes and inside were 1977 and 1978 baseball cards. Not complete sets, but they did have some great RCs in the 1977 box (nearly all traded by now).

I get it and I know they're valueless but valueless isn't necessarily worthless. I also know they're hard to get rid of but . . . but . . . but . . .

I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

I have only done that once, throw a lot of base cards away. It was last minute during a move and just didn't have the time to deal with them. Typically though there are a few little league associations in the area that typically takes them and distributes them among the kids. That seems to usually work.
I collect Allen & Ginter, Aroldis Chapman, Yoan Moncada, and Cuban Players!

(04-22-2020, 11:22 AM)ThomasAA23 Wrote: I have only done that once, throw a lot of base cards away. It was last minute during a move and just didn't have the time to deal with them. Typically though there are a few little league associations in the area that typically takes them and distributes them among the kids. That seems to usually work.
I asked about Little League...was told the parents don't like adult strangers hanging around with goodies to give away. Stupid pedophiles ruin everything!

And, the coaches don't want to spend the time and energy deciding who gets what if I left the cards with them.

(04-22-2020, 11:33 AM)kerryandbeth Wrote: I asked about Little League...was told the parents don't like adult strangers hanging around with goodies to give away. Stupid pedophiles ruin everything!

And, the coaches don't want to spend the time and energy deciding who gets what if I left the cards with them.
Lmfao