IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panini no longer accepting expired redemptions

Panini no longer accepting expired redemptions
https://www.beckett.com/news/panini-no-l...SbuBjuUwnc

update
If the card on the expired redemption is still available, Panini will honor it. If its not, Panini will offer Panini Rewards Points equivalent to half of the cards value. The value will be determined by the card maker. Specifics are available on Paninis blog.

This reverses what appeared to be a discontinuation of honoring expired redemptions by the company. A couple of weeks ago, multiple interactions between Paninis customer service Twitter account and collectors said that they could no longer accept them.

Paninis customer service portal is available through their website.
Beckett.Moderator.Floydtown@gmail.com
TOS

[Image: florida-gators.gif]
U.S. Army-Retired
Member since 10-04-1997 (#113)

RE: Panini no longer accepting expired redemptions
I once pulled a redemption card for an expired Kobe Bryant auto out of a mixer box at Target and had the card in-hand a week later, so I'm very sorry to hear about this new policy ... I always thought this was perhaps Panini's most appealing, customer friendly service.

(And made me wonder why they had expiration dates to begin with)

The most disappointing detail of the new policy is this - "or would revert to rewards points if not in stock"

These rewards points are terrible ... no current product to choose from, and the last time I picked 5 cards with 650 rewards points they charged me $13 for shipping for a bubble mailer with tracking, which used to be $4.

Very, very unimpressed with this on many levels.

With other redemptions (when entered live), they at least give you an option to get a random card rather than points - I just selected a replacement card for a Cam Robinson Contenders Draft Picks auto that has been pending for over 2 years - since it isn't a p.c. item, I'll just get something for it.

The good news is that if you entered the redemption when it was live, you still get the option of selecting a card or waiting.

The good news is that I only have a couple pf pending redemptions - and only one was expired at the time I entered it (from 2013 - and I only paid $15 for the box) - and its a guy who I have multiple autographs of and was an NFL bust so while it would be nice to get the card, its not a huge loss if I end up with points) The other two are quite good autos from 2019 and I'm going to wait them out.
I do wonder about the FAQ - while it is dated March 2019, I had never seen it before. And I always read such documents.

And I guess that Panini doesn't care that they just torpedoed the value of their older products - they have already sold them so why should they care

That is an awful position for Panini to take. I've redeemed expired redemptions before. Sometimes I get the card, sometimes it was for points. I'm fine if they 100% go with points for stuff that's older than 2-3 years. I am tired of their terrible business practices really sticking it to the customer because we don't have any other choice in the matter.

In my admittedly little amount of free time, I'll be doing some research into finding relevant parties who can maybe do something. I'm thinking BBB, NFLPA, consumer advocacy groups, etc. If I can pull it together, I'll provide a list of contacts that people can write/email/call to try and give consumers some modicum of voice.

So a couple years ago I bought a box of 2009 Upper Deck Icons and got a Presidental Letterman redemption and sent it in to Upper Decks expired redemption dept. I dont remember how much later it was but I got a package in the mail. I open it up and there is a plastic clamshell case with Upper Deck on the top and a letter. The letter said sorry we don't have the card in the redemption but here are some other promo cards for you. There was a 2014 Fleer Retro Carderrelle Patterson Exchange auto then a bunch of hockey promo cards including a 10 card set of Upper Deck Winter which included Jordan, Lebron, Gretzky, Patrick Roy, Tiger, Serena Williams and some other hockey guys I dont know. I care what the value of all that was its the EFFORT that impressed me.

Panini can't be arsed to do anything to rectify a situation they created by not delivering a product. They have purposefully created "high-end boxes" full of super low numbered autos and mem cards. Why? Because it doesn't cost them as much because they are paying per autograph so the less autos the less cost, but they can charge more because of the value of the cards.

I collect Ray Lewis, Roger Staubach, Drew Pearson, Kellen Winslow Sr..  I no longer keep my Org here up to date. Please check with me.  Here is a thread with links to my inventory.

M-O-N-O-P-O-L-Y Dodgy

When it starts to get further & further out of control, when is it enough?
I mean their up to digital cards now? Confused
I'm not bashing those into digital cards, as conversation is best for a different thread yet I think y'all know what I mean. Angry
I mean, look at Flawless & other highend stuff with low end cards in the product. Huh
That's just one example of many problems wrong with the situation. It's getting wild.
Wants:
2006 Bowman Sterling Red Refractors #RB1 JSY Reggie Bush 1/1
2006 SP Authentic Rookie Autographed NFL Logo Patches #252 JSY AU Reggie Bush 1/1
2006 Topps Red Hot Rookies Autographs #RB Reggie Bush/10

It's bad enough that the rewards are older products with very few superstars available, so you can't even pick a card from the product you just bought.

It used to be ludicrous to me that they would charge anything for shipping, which they don't do for redemptions.

Same thing, isn't it? They couldn't deliver content at time of purchase, so why charge for one and not the other?

Paying $4 was bad enough ... then, this last time, when they charged $13 shipping for five cards, that was the last straw for me.

I will no longer support the rewards program and will trade them here if I pull any more.

(04-21-2020, 01:08 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: It's bad enough that the rewards are older products with very few superstars available, so you can't even pick a card from the product you just bought.

It used to be ludicrous to me that they would charge anything for shipping, which they don't do for redemptions.

Same thing, isn't it? They couldn't deliver content at time of purchase, so why charge for one and not the other?

Paying $4 was bad enough ... then, this last time, when they charged $13 shipping for five cards, that was the last straw for me.

I will no longer support the rewards program and will trade them here if I pull any more.
Yeah it's a real bait-and-switch operation they run over there. I like the idea behind the rewards points but too many crappy cards at too high a point price coupled with obnoxious shipping costs. It's fun when that blaster that's $19.99 at retail then becomes $23.99 because of a reward point card needing to be shipped.... Most of the time the cards aren't even worth the cost to ship, I can go by a Kareem Carey auto off ebay for less.

Completely agree with all of you. I'd write or contact someone if you find them JP. It's getting hard for any guys on a budget like me to collect anyone new because of the BS. I'll find ways to collect things I enjoy, but trying to super collect anyone after 2010 is insane if they are any good. I'll pick up what I can, but I don't see myself supporting Panini directly anywhere in the near future. Hopefully something comes along to break up the Panini monopoly.

I'd get behind you JP if you start something. We would need to organize a lot of people and do something that gets noticed. If it included collector's as well as shops and maybe some of the larger shops like Steel City or D&A and we could get the attention of one of the licensees like NFLPA or the NFL we might get somewhere.
I collect Ray Lewis, Roger Staubach, Drew Pearson, Kellen Winslow Sr..  I no longer keep my Org here up to date. Please check with me.  Here is a thread with links to my inventory.