`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Advice on coming back

Advice on coming back
So after a very long break and having sold my entire collection over 10 years ago id like to get back into the hobby. Looking for some advice on a good box to start off with. Looking to keep under $200 for starters. Any info and suggestions welcome thanks!

RE: Advice on coming back
2017 was a great year in the hobby. Lots of choices depending on what you like.

Honestly you picked a bad time to jump back in from a box value aspect. Every single product is grossly overpriced from a ROI standpoint.

If it's about the fun of putting together a base set retail is the way to go. If it's about the big hit/rare auto just throw your money in the fireplace and watch it burn. You'll have the same result.

I liken the shot at pulling a decent hit/auto today to trying to hit the UD Hero Auto or Donruss Elite cards back in the early 90's.

Starting fresh means you can take a disciplined approach to collecting. What's your flavor? Set building, team building, player collecting, rookie hunting, big hit hunting, nostalgia busting, card flipping, etc? That'll help determine the most likely value for your money.

I completely agree with jplarson. I collected Topps sets from 1973 to 1995. Last year, I got back into collecting and realized the industry changed a lot! I decided to collect only my favorite team - it is a lot less expensive than buying boxes and I am only getting what I really want.....I have tons of cards from when I used to collect that have no real meaning to me.
Collecting Chicago Cubs Topps 2016-present - Series 1, 2, Update, Chrome, Stadium Club and Allen & Ginter.

Skip buying a box and looking at a ton of common cards........take that 200.00 and buy a Willie Mays or Hank Aaron auto off eBay........youll feel better
Looking mostly for HOF players.....game used, rc, #D, autos, and mike Schmidt autos and game used

[Image: image_zpsd3640c04.jpg]

Another option is to buy packs of $50 total to open for fun and spend the rest on player/team you like.

(04-19-2020, 06:20 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: 2017 was a great year in the hobby. Lots of choices depending on what you like.
Agreed, I pulled some great autos from retail in 2017!

Personally, if I were going into the hobby right now, my advise to myself would be ... do NOT buy 2020 Hobby boxes now. Take $100 to Target and/or Walmart and pick up 5 different blasters. See what is out there, do a little smorgasbord of current product ... then when Black Friday rolls around Blowout does a great sale, pick up stuff on discount. EVERYTHING I ever bought during the year ALWAYS shows up waaaaaaay discounted in November. I always kick myself when it does! Patience is a virtue.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(04-20-2020, 05:41 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Agreed, I pulled some great autos from retail in 2017!

... then when Black Friday rolls around Blowout does a great sale, pick up stuff on discount. EVERYTHING I ever bought during the year ALWAYS shows up waaaaaaay discounted in November. I always kick myself when it does! Patience is a virtue.
I agree with you, but it is tough as a trader to wait because by then most have acquired what they want of that product.

On the other hand, if a player becomes hot then every product thay are in goes up in price (except maybe 2020).

I do kick myself when I see November prices and I surpassed ny annual budget by then! So, for 2020 there will be no more hobby box purchases until the cold air sweeps in.

Since my only LCS closed in February (it's run by a 90 year old lady, so she closed down to prevent getting sick, and I'm sure she won't reopen), I've had to buy retail. I've been buying a blaster every week to stay in my budget ($40 every two weeks). I've gotten some nice stuff and nice trade bait.

So I'd suggest buying a few blasters and then a lot/card of your favorite team on ebay. That'd be the best way to get restarted into this hobby.

Also, buy supplies, whether at Walmart or somewhere else. I know a guy locally who opens boxes/packs and puts the cards just on a shelf with nothing in any kind of protection (no penny, no toploader, nothing). His cards always have edge wear, corner wear, etc. So I'd suggest buying some supplies.