Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2020's lost season and card values

2020's lost season and card values
Good morning!
Just checking in on people's opinions on what is very possibly going to be a lost season, and how it will affect card values of current players and prospects. My thoughts are that every current player and prospect are going to be another year older and another year closer to "baseball retirement" age without accumulating stats or the ability to pad their resume proving they're major league ready.

Surprisingly, Acuna, Tatis Jr, and Soto remain hot, but I think all of that hotness accumulated back before the season was confirmed in jeopardy, and now its being reflected in values of their cards.

My feeling is that values of Hall of Famers will remain stable, but current stars and especially prospects will perhaps drop a bit.

RE: 2020's lost season and card values
Far be it for me not to have an opinion...LOL

I have been surprised so far in 2020 that some recent card prices are going up at all, but I also do not expect a significant drop. Why? Because many of us are bored and need the hobby to keep our sanity, so the demand should remain strong and prices flatten out.

The real question for me is why doesn't the price of a current Hobby Box drop during this whole thing? Gas prices have dropped, hotel prices have dropped, some insurance companies are giving discounts, etc.

Maybe the demand remains high because of bored people wanting to maintain their sanity, which therefore keeps card companies from lowering their prices...

Dang bored people anyway!! Hahaha!!

Given their status, statistics, etc. aren't going to change, I suspect HOF and retired other retired players will probably remain static in value.

I expect that established (to varying degrees) stars - Trout, Acuna, Soto, etc. - could actually see values continue to increase since people have time on their hands to shop and drive values up ... assuming the people that are in the market for them still have money coming in. I expect high-end prospects - Franco, Robert - to fall into this group, too.

Where there could be some regression is in guys that needed another year to solidify their status as "stars," "semi-stars" or elite prospects - out of sight, out of mind sorta thing.
Kepler

If the season is a complete loss.....I can't even begin to want to imagine but it also means the economy will have taken a hit like never before so demand will drop severely.

well all I can say is wait they will have a covid 19 baseball card soon The borders will be a virus picture like the donruss baby shark. or they will put a dead virus cell in the card and en-capsule it up.

with no action going on I think some will drop depending on what they post in social media some will go up because of social media

I expect some cards go up because of age and of some sporting news being rerunned of old players like Ruth Cobb Mantle to spark interest in the younger collectors but mostly flat and the market to correct itself on the value of cards up and down
[Image: roughdraft_edited-1.jpg]

I noticed all of Mookie Betts' cards have dropped in value. Why? Is he having a bad season? Does it have something to do with him going to LA?
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

(04-18-2020, 03:52 PM)zeprock Wrote: I noticed all of Mookie Betts' cards have dropped in value. Why? Is he having a bad season? Does it have something to do with him going to LA?
I saw that too and thought "People in LA are too busy thinking about themselves to care about a player from Boston", so the price went down. Big Grin

Seriously, I used to live in San Diego and was shocked about the attitude from those in LA about us (and vice versa).

(04-18-2020, 03:52 PM)zeprock Wrote: I noticed all of Mookie Betts' cards have dropped in value. Why? Is he having a bad season? Does it have something to do with him going to LA?
Must be something about LA, Mookie has been hitless all season. Awful season so far. Smile

I am wondering about all the Opening Day Cards and the blatant lies they tell about 2020. They are all gonna be UCE cards in the OPG.

Hopefully they play soon in empty stadiums, if it gets things started. I do not think I can deal without some baseball. Shortened season, every game is a double header. no umpires, no fans, every batter starts off with a 3-2 count, only 1 foul ball allowed. Each game should take an hour ... 90 minutes tops!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.