`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About Grading Old Finest

About Grading Old Finest
Hi all, i recently picked up the hobby that i put down over 10 years. Found many Finest from 90's in boxes but most of them has faded colors. I am also new to card grading, so my question here is are the Finest (or Chrome) faded color card will also be considered in the grading process? So any of the faded cards shall be getting a low grade as a result? Can anyone tell me more about this issue? Thanks in advance.

RE: About Grading Old Finest
May want to check to see if it has a plastic film covering. Finest can fade if exposed to temperature extremes whether hot or cold ( its plastic and acts as plastic does). Faded items detract from surface grades so expect to be dinged on that. Pics maybe ?

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. The plastic films are on. Actually, i didn't touch my cards for 15 years, all store in the paper carton box in top loaders or screw down. That means all without the exposure to light, and they are put indoor so the temperature would not be too extreme i think. Many of the Finest or Chrome have the same issue, including Jordan refractor, Grant Hill RC, Tim Duncan RC... But the key i wanna ask is how Beckett Grading or PSA to determine the grade of a fading Finest/Chrome

The grading services will ding you on surface if its faded and treat that covering as the surface. Frankly unless its spot perfect with no imperfections comes down to the old peel versus not peel arguments.

I'm a peel guy unless its dead on perfect. Faded qualifies as a surface issue so I'd personally peel.

One of the best written articles I ever saw is bookmarked HERE

Hope this helps-
Jeff

I agree with Jeff's comments. The early Finest cards, 1993-97, particularly have fade challenges and I've spotted it as well on 1998 cards too. As a test I took a 1998 Finest Ryan Leaf card that is notably faded on the skin tone and peeled the card. It's still faded indicating a chemical reaction on the ink and not the peel getting some sort of patina.

I do question how much it might impact the surface grade though. Try doing a search on eBay for say "1994 finest bgs -10 -9.5 -9" to see some lower grade examples. I saw a Scottie Pippin with obvious fading with a surface grade of 8.5, a common grade given to Finest cards with the peel on.

Ultimately we can only provide opinions. If you are going to do an order might be worth seeding in one or two faded ones to see how they come back. For the record, I'm also with Jeff on #TeamPeelHasAppeal

When all of you talk about fading, is it a dark blue now light blue? I have some 1994 Bowman's Best seems the skin tones are yellow. Would this be fading???And it seems not just 1 card, but all cards.
[Image: 2p7g0XL.png]

Brian yellow skin tones indicates plastic degradation and exposure to some form of heat / moisture combo.
Shouldn't be that way at all. Least none of mine are from that time period.
I live in the desert and the cards are kept in cool , dark places with minimal sunlight.

Jeff